ADVERTISEMENT

WVU beat themselves(again)

Volatility

Senior
Jun 27, 2018
Charleston WV
www.equitysciences.com
We played good enough to win the game, handily actually. I believe WVU was the better team, but if it wasnt for a couple drops, a tipped pick6, and Ive watched that Reece Smith catch a hundred times in slow motion and Im not sure how thats not a catch... I thought if the hands are under the ball it doesnt matter if the ball touches the turf... To be that close is tough, but Pitt is a good team, and Im optimistic we will see good things from our Mountaineers this season.

I disagree with 1 coaching decision this evening. I think Brown should have went for it on 4th down up a TD in the 4th qtr... Thats when you put the nail in the coffin, and I think everyone would agree that would have completely changed the outcome of the game.

Def optimistic about this team... I see potential there for us to compete this year for the Big12 if we remain healthy. We just gotta find a way to win these close games, esp being up a TD in the 4th qtr...

One thing is evident tho. Progress was def made in the offseason. This team def improved, and I think will continue to do so as the offense has more time to find their rhythm

Reactions: JRZEER
The only progress out there were A- QB is definitely better. A1- Donaldson has some real talent and should start. A2 Ford Wheaton is a threat at WR.

Coaching was not good for much of the game not just the terrible punt instead of get a foot and win. Offensive line was bad,. Mstake after mistake after mistake with penalties once again killed the team and that’s on coaching.

The secondary showed its youth and that will be a problem in the BIG 12 and probably at VT.

If Daniel’s Chuck’s up the ball like that in B12 play then there will be lots of INTs.

WVU scored more than 14 pts so that is good. But Brown managed to coach up yet another loss. 17-19 now.

Reactions: HotInEER
We played good enough to win the game, handily actually. I believe WVU was the better team, but if it wasnt for a couple drops, a tipped pick6, and Ive watched that Reece Smith catch a hundred times in slow motion and Im not sure how thats not a catch... I thought if the hands are under the ball it doesnt matter if the ball touches the turf... To be that close is tough, but Pitt is a good team, and Im optimistic we will see good things from our Mountaineers this season.

I disagree with 1 coaching decision this evening. I think Brown should have went for it on 4th down up a TD in the 4th qtr... Thats when you put the nail in the coffin, and I think everyone would agree that would have completely changed the outcome of the game.

Def optimistic about this team... I see potential there for us to compete this year for the Big12 if we remain healthy. We just gotta find a way to win these close games, esp being up a TD in the 4th qtr...

One thing is evident tho. Progress was def made in the offseason. This team def improved, and I think will continue to do so as the offense has more time to find their rhythm

Coach Brown's signature

The game was full of big plays and missed opportunity on both sides. IMO coach brown is a really good coach I thought that when he was hired. Wvu scheme was good and you ran the ball well. That is very unusual against Pitt. You will handle VT easily.

The game was full of big plays and missed opportunity on both sides. IMO coach brown is a really good coach I thought that when he was hired. Wvu scheme was good and you ran the ball well. That is very unusual against Pitt. You will handle VT easily.

What has Brown shown you to have you believe he’s a really good coach? They only thing I think he does VERY well is PR and Media Relations.

1. Was a trap not a catch.
2. Tons of discipline errors. Did not play well.
3. Outcoached...again.
4. Only play good enough to win...if you win.
5. A lot of fans are pussy whinners.

The only progress out there were A- QB is definitely better. A1- Donaldson has some real talent and should start. A2 Ford Wheaton is a threat at WR.

Coaching was not good for much of the game not just the terrible punt instead of get a foot and win. Offensive line was bad,. Mstake after mistake after mistake with penalties once again killed the team and that’s on coaching.

The secondary showed its youth and that will be a problem in the BIG 12 and probably at VT.

If Daniel’s Chuck’s up the ball like that in B12 play then there will be lots of INTs.

WVU scored more than 14 pts so that is good. But Brown managed to coach up yet another loss. 17-19 now.
Special teams looked much improved as well. There’s some positives

Without the benefit of watching a replay, these are a few things I noticed last night...

1. Pitt's receivers were running wide open all night. They dropped/missed several TD passes. The score should have been worse than it was. Pitt's receivers aren't Oklahoma, State, Texass, or Baylor level. This could be a long year.

2. Our WR corps could not get separation at all. This is against a defense that ranked like 118 out of 120 against the pass last year - with the same players. That's not good. Add to it, they aren't very good and slow to go along with it. This could be a long year.

3. Daniels took a beating - granted against a very good Pitt front with several NFL talented players. Some will blame poor line play, which of course there was some, especially from the tackles, but a LOT of it has to be placed on the slow and terrible receiving corps not being able to get open. At this rate, he's not going to make it to game 5. This could be a long year.

4. Mathis and Johnson must have watched a lot of Leddie Brown tape - they would not just put their head down and power ahead for a 3 yard gain. Instead, they would tip-toe through, looking for a 15 yard gain that just isn't there. Mathis didn't do that at all last year. Donaldson doesn't do that, he just powers through and ended up busting big runs. He's a bright spot.

5. We had trouble sustaining drives. We're like a 18 handicap in golf - we just can't string together 4 good shots - and always flub something up. This could be a long year.

6. We were the beneficiaries of some really lucky breaks that allowed us to be in the game, ie. the punt block, big plays, etc. The scoreboard will show it was close, the stats will say we should have won, but in reality, if this game is played in week 3, they probably beat us by 3 TDs. Time will tell whether Pitt is good, bad, or somewhere in between. I lean toward in between but this might be a long year.

7. A timeout is called after a deadball change of possession? Come on, that has to be better but is something we have seen from Brown's teams for his entire tenure. That has to change, like yesterday, or this is going to be a long year.

8. Many will question Brown's decision not to go for it. I agreed with him then and I agree with him now. However, what nobody saw was after the Pitt punt with 8 and a half minutes to go, with a 7 point lead, WVU throws on first down - incomplete. When you have the lead, the clock is your friend. Run the ball on first down. Add to that, we were constantly snapping it with 15 or more seconds to go on the play clock - why? That to me is far more questionable than the decision to not go for it. This could be a long year.

9. Right before the punt, on 4th and inches, why did Daniels line up in shotgun? Everyone with an 8th grade football education knows you aren't going to snap it 7 yards deep in order to run 2 inches! That fooled nobody. Put Daniels under center and hard count - maybe it works there and draws them off - not likely considering how experienced they were on the front 7, but it at least gives you a chance.

10. It's said that teams improve the most between week 1 and week 2. Fortunately, WVU has a couple of easier games ahead of it to get some things fixed. Kansas next week should be a good barometer - they won't be the normal pushover as usual but still shouldn't be able to stay with us for 4 quarters. If not much changes, this could be a long year.

WVU still has a chance to win 8 or 9 games. They probably won't see a d-line as good as Pitt's the rest of the year - and they had decent success against it running the ball. Pass blocking's a different story. If that doesn't get shored up, this could be a long year.

Without the benefit of watching a replay, these are a few things I noticed last night...

1. Pitt's receivers were running wide open all night. They dropped/missed several TD passes. The score should have been worse than it was. Pitt's receivers aren't Oklahoma, State, Texass, or Baylor level. This could be a long year.

2. Our WR corps could not get separation at all. This is against a defense that ranked like 118 out of 120 against the pass last year - with the same players. That's not good. Add to it, they aren't very good and slow to go along with it. This could be a long year.

3. Daniels took a beating - granted against a very good Pitt front with several NFL talented players. Some will blame poor line play, which of course there was some, especially from the tackles, but a LOT of it has to be placed on the slow and terrible receiving corps not being able to get open. At this rate, he's not going to make it to game 5. This could be a long year.

4. Mathis and Johnson must have watched a lot of Leddie Brown tape - they would not just put their head down and power ahead for a 3 yard gain. Instead, they would tip-toe through, looking for a 15 yard gain that just isn't there. Mathis didn't do that at all last year. Donaldson doesn't do that, he just powers through and ended up busting big runs. He's a bright spot.

5. We had trouble sustaining drives. We're like a 18 handicap in golf - we just can't string together 4 good shots - and always flub something up. This could be a long year.

6. We were the beneficiaries of some really lucky breaks that allowed us to be in the game, ie. the punt block, big plays, etc. The scoreboard will show it was close, the stats will say we should have won, but in reality, if this game is played in week 3, they probably beat us by 3 TDs. Time will tell whether Pitt is good, bad, or somewhere in between. I lean toward in between but this might be a long year.

7. A timeout is called after a deadball change of possession? Come on, that has to be better but is something we have seen from Brown's teams for his entire tenure. That has to change, like yesterday, or this is going to be a long year.

8. Many will question Brown's decision not to go for it. I agreed with him then and I agree with him now. However, what nobody saw was after the Pitt punt with 8 and a half minutes to go, with a 7 point lead, WVU throws on first down - incomplete. When you have the lead, the clock is your friend. Run the ball on first down. Add to that, we were constantly snapping it with 15 or more seconds to go on the play clock - why? That to me is far more questionable than the decision to not go for it. This could be a long year.

9. Right before the punt, on 4th and inches, why did Daniels line up in shotgun? Everyone with an 8th grade football education knows you aren't going to snap it 7 yards deep in order to run 2 inches! That fooled nobody. Put Daniels under center and hard count - maybe it works there and draws them off - not likely considering how experienced they were on the front 7, but it at least gives you a chance.

10. It's said that teams improve the most between week 1 and week 2. Fortunately, WVU has a couple of easier games ahead of it to get some things fixed. Kansas next week should be a good barometer - they won't be the normal pushover as usual but still shouldn't be able to stay with us for 4 quarters. If not much changes, this could be a long year.

WVU still has a chance to win 8 or 9 games. They probably won't see a d-line as good as Pitt's the rest of the year - and they had decent success against it running the ball. Pass blocking's a different story. If that doesn't get shored up, this could be a long year.

Agree with all but 8. Playing to run out the clock with a one score lead and over half a quarter left is a bad call. Pitt already had at least 2 big play opportunities for TD's but weren't only because of Pitt's lack of execution and not the WVU defense. So playing to pad the lead to 2 scores always was and always will be the right call there. That does not eliminate the possibility of running if running the ball is the best play call to help reach that end. But just running primarily to milk the clock with that much time left isn't sound reasoning.

I get what your saying and I should have expounded on that a little better.

Running the ball there I believe was the best call because:

1. It keeps the clock moving. A running clock is your friend when you have the lead. Pitt also had all their timeouts, so forcing them to use one or more at some point only increases your chance of winning if you don't score, which is still the goal. But getting positive yardage on 1st down is important.

2. Most importantly, running the ball was where WVU was having the most success. We were more likely to get 10 yards through running the ball than throwing it, as had been shown all game. We were averaging about 3 yards per carry, Pitt's D was tired at that point, and our receivers couldn't get separation and hadn't all night. Plus, if you look at the calls on 2nd and 3rd downs - both runs - they gained 9 and 2/3 yards, you probably don't need to punt on 4th down. You keep the clock moving, keep the ball moving downfield, and increase your chances to win.

No problem with the way you see it. We're both just armchair coaching with the benefit of hindsight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT