ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU Baseball - Mountaineers Head to Huntington to Battle Marshall

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (April 9, 2024) The West Virginia University baseball team hits the road for a midweek matchup with in-state rival Marshall, Wednesday evening. First pitch from Jack Cook Field in Huntington is set for 6 p.m.

The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and can be listened to on the Mountaineers Sports Network on all radio affiliates as well as The Varsity Network, the WVU Gameday App, and WVUSports.com.

The Mountaineers are 19-12 on the season after sweeping Kansas on the road over the weekend. With the sweep, WVU now sits atop the Big 12 standings at 8-4, tied with Oklahoma.

Senior Derek Clark took home Big 12 Pitcher and Newcomer of the Week honors after throwing a complete-game shutout against the Jayhawks, striking out seven while allowing just three hits.

On Sunday, the Mountaineers had a memorable afternoon at the plate as they hit four straight home runs in the eighth inning off the bats of sophomore Logan Sauve, sophomore Sam White, senior Reed Chumley, and junior Kyle West.

Junior Grant Hussey also hit a home run in the game against the Jayhawks on Sunday, the 32nd of his career. He is just three away from the WVU record set by Jedd Gyorko and Tim McCabe.

Sophomore Gavin Van Kempen will get the start on Wednesday against the Thundering Herd. He is 5-1 on the season with a 5.29 ERA and 22 strikeouts in 17.0 innings. Marshall’s Chad Heiner will oppose him on the mound.

Led by Head Coach Greg Beals in his second season, Marshall is 11-19 in 2024. The Thundering Herd are coming off a series win over perennial Sun Belt contender Texas State.

Cam Harthan leads the team with a .338 batting average while Owen Ayers has six home runs and 13 doubles.

Nicholas Weyrich has 41 strikeouts out of the bullpen to lead the team.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVUBaseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

That was an ugly loss. Poor showing all the way round. Poor base running and untimely hitting. With poor coaching added in and this equals a stinker of a loss.

Marshall 3 WVU 2 - 11 innings

That was an ugly loss. Poor showing all the way round. Poor base running and untimely hitting. With poor coaching added in and this equals a stinker of a loss.

Marshall 3 WVU 2 - 11 innings
Poor coaching? I’m interested in knowing what makes you say that? The right decisions were made. Poor execution and focus.

If it's only poor execution why do we have coaches?
So then you admit that you cannot site one "poor decision" that the coaches made last night as an example? Did the coaches get picked off of 2nd and 1st in the 11th inning with nobody out? Did the coaches have easy popouts and strikeouts against subpar pitching? If a basketball coach designs a play out of a timeout, and the player misses the wide open layup, is that "poor coaching" too? Damn.

So then you admit that you cannot site one "poor decision" that the coaches made last night as an example? Did the coaches get picked off of 2nd and 1st in the 11th inning with nobody out? Did the coaches have easy popouts and strikeouts against subpar pitching? If a basketball coach designs a play out of a timeout, and the player misses the wide open layup, is that "poor coaching" too? Damn.
Did the coaches call for bunts twice during the game with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs? The mishap was caused by coaches on that poor base running double play. The guy at the plate with 3-2 count immediately got a hit after that. Coaches are on the bags for a reason. Players make dumb moves and coaches make poor calls. Get over it.

Did the coaches call for bunts twice during the game with runners on 1st and 2nd and no outs? The mishap was caused by coaches on that poor base running double play. The guy at the plate with 3-2 count immediately got a hit after that. Coaches are on the bags for a reason. Players make dumb moves and coaches make poor calls. Get over it.
You are dumb. You are really baseball dumb. I can tell that you NEVER EVER EVER played, or coached the game of baseball. Trust me, you don't want to argue baseball with me.

You can't use the "well he got a hit after" as your excuse. Gee whiz. That top of the 11th situation was a 1000% bunt situation. And it wasn't a 3-2 count when the runners were picked off. It was the FIRST PITCH of the AB.

You are dumb. You are really baseball dumb. I can tell that you NEVER EVER EVER played, or coached the game of baseball. Trust me, you don't want to argue baseball with me.

You can't use the "well he got a hit after" as your excuse. Gee whiz. That top of the 11th situation was a 1000% bunt situation. And it wasn't a 3-2 count when the runners were picked off. It was the FIRST PITCH of the AB.
False statement as usual. Trust me you have no idea what you're talking about. Bunting with runners 1st and 2nd no outs is retarded. The coaches made just as many mistakes as the players. They have base coaches for a reason, do they not?

If you don't think coaches ever make mistakes then it's obvious you are slow.

False statement as usual. Trust me you have no idea what you're talking about. Bunting with runners 1st and 2nd no outs is retarded. The coaches made just as many mistakes as the players. They have base coaches for a reason, do they not?

If you don't think coaches ever make mistakes then it's obvious you are slow.
Good grief. Zero outs in that situation is 1000% the time to bunt. Please. For your own sake. Stop this argument. Anyone who has ever played or coached baseball know it is the right call. And even beyond that, teams almost always do an “inside move” in that situation to see if the team tips what they plan on doing. So regardless of if it was bunt or not, Marshall was going to do that move. Hussey should have delayed his secondary and the runner on first should have hustled to second during the rundown instead of being undecided and hanging out in between.

Good grief. Zero outs in that situation is 1000% the time to bunt. Please. For your own sake. Stop this argument. Anyone who has ever played or coached baseball know it is the right call. And even beyond that, teams almost always do an “inside move” in that situation to see if the team tips what they plan on doing. So regardless of if it was bunt or not, Marshall was going to do that move. Hussey should have delayed his secondary and the runner on first should have hustled to second during the rundown instead of being undecided and hanging out in between.
How did that bunting work out for him? Passive call no balls and poor base running. Win as a team lose as a team. A 19-13 with several poor losses will get you no invite to tournament. They have a lot of work to do.

How did that bunting work out for him? Passive call no balls and poor base running. Win as a team lose as a team. A 19-13 with several poor losses will get you no invite to tournament. They have a lot of work to do.
They are F**KING FIRST PLACE in the Big 12. They played SEVEN WEEKS without the consensus All-American and first round draft pick. You are absolutely the WORST type of fan there is. Oh, their RPI is also a 44 even with all the injuries they had.

And how'd the bunt work out? Well, without the stupid baserunning????? We will never know. Regardless, the BUNT decision had nothing to do with the pickoff. Why can't you see that? Oh, because you have ZERO knowledge on baseball DD. The pickoff attempt was BEFORE the first pitch. Thus, the decision to bunt had NOTHING to do with the runners decision to bounce off the bag the way he did.

They are F**KING FIRST PLACE in the Big 12. They played SEVEN WEEKS without the consensus All-American and first round draft pick. You are absolutely the WORST type of fan there is. Oh, their RPI is also a 44 even with all the injuries they had.

And how'd the bunt work out? Well, without the stupid baserunning????? We will never know. Regardless, the BUNT decision had nothing to do with the pickoff. Why can't you see that? Oh, because you have ZERO knowledge on baseball DD. The pickoff attempt was BEFORE the first pitch. Thus, the decision to bunt had NOTHING to do with the runners decision to bounce off the bag the way he did.
1 team in top 25. Oklahoma State at #21 and #25. They were not ranked until this week.

Hit and run makes as much since than a bunt. Being aggressive wins more games.

You have no clue what I know or don't know. Get a life.

WVU has more bad losses than they do good wins. How long you think they will stay first? Not long.

Big 12 is weak this year. They need some wins and this weekend would go a long ways in staying the course for Big 12. They must win the series.

Reactions: KingCoal
1 team in top 25. Oklahoma State at #21 and #25. They were not ranked until this week.

Hit and run makes as much since than a bunt. Being aggressive wins more games.

You have no clue what I know or don't know. Get a life.

WVU has more bad losses than they do good wins. How long you think they will stay first? Not long.

Big 12 is weak this year. They need some wins and this weekend would go a long ways in staying the course for Big 12. They must win the series.
Hit and run with zero outs and one of your SLOWEST runners at 2B? Gosh dang. You just showed your intelligence on baseball right there.

1. You realize that a hit-n-run is a bigger risk than a sac bunt? Right?
2. You do understand that it STILL WOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED the situation. The MU pitcher would have still done the inside move, and Hussey would have still broke off the base, even MORE with it being a hit-n-run.

Refrain from speaking about baseball. It's making you look like an idiot. Oh, UCF is ranked in the top 25 idiot.

Fact is that you hate WVU sports.......unless they are winning big........frontrunner. Get a life....and put down the alcohol Double-D.

Last edited:
Hit and run with zero outs and one of your SLOWEST runners at 2B? Gosh dang. You just showed your intelligence on baseball right there.

1. You realize that a hit-n-run is a bigger risk than a sac bunt? Right?
2. You do understand that it STILL WOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED the situation. The MU pitcher would have still done the inside move, and Hussey would have still broke off the base, even MORE with it being a hit-n-run.

Refrain from speaking about baseball. It's making you look like an idiot. Oh, UCF is ranked in the top 25 idiot.

Fact is that you hate WVU sports.......unless they are winning big........frontrunner. Get a life....and put down the alcohol Double-D.
When you become an adult we will discuss who is and who isn't a fan.

Come to think of it I have forgotten more about sports than you even claim to know.

I suggest you refrain from replying to me period.

So take your little bat and go bunting.

EDIT: Thanks for proving my point of a mistake by the staff. Slow runner on 2nd yet puts in a pinch runner for the guy on first. Nice.

Last edited:

Come to think of it I have forgotten more about sports than you even claim to know.

Nice rebuttal. I accept your apology and your cluelessness.

EDIT: Thanks for proving my point of a mistake by the staff. Slow runner on 2nd yet puts in a pinch runner for the guy on first. Nice.
Man you really are struggling. HE DID NOT SUB IN A PINCH RUNNER for the guy at 1B on that pick play. Gosh dang man, stop making yourself look bad. Perazza came in to run for Garcia. Kresser and Hussey were on the bases. This is laughable.

Man you really are struggling. HE DID NOT SUB IN A PINCH RUNNER for the guy at 1B on that pick play. Gosh dang man, stop making yourself look bad. Perazza came in to run for Garcia. Kresser and Hussey were on the bases. This is laughable.
You really enjoy hating people.

Then why are you here? No wife at home for you to beat on. No kids to moleste.
This response makes zero sense.

Ahhh.....poor old guy throwing a fit because he has been proven wrong and has no clue. Again, just stop. It'll be alright. Not the first time, and definitely not the last that you'll be proven wrong.

This response makes zero sense.

Ahhh.....poor old guy throwing a fit because he has been proven wrong and has no clue. Again, just stop. It'll be alright. Not the first time, and definitely not the last that you'll be proven wrong.
Your inflated ego distorts your ability to recognize the truth in yourself. People like yourself with inflated egos tend to react intensely and take things very personally.

I shall pray for your soul.

Your inflated ego distorts your ability to recognize the truth in yourself. People like yourself with inflated egos tend to react intensely and take things very personally.

I shall pray for your soul.
Says the guy who was proven wrong many times, yet fails to admit it. Sorry not sorry.

Says the guy who was proven wrong many times, yet fails to admit it. Sorry not sorry.
I stand by my statement of coaches made some bad calls and base runners made stupid errors.

Everything else in between was for your entertainment. That's how slow you are.

I stand by my statement of coaches made some bad calls and base runners made stupid errors.

Everything else in between was for your entertainment. That's how slow you are.
Stand by it all you want. Just don't add your own fake facts like subs that didn't happen and not knowing that regardless of bunt or hit and run or letting him swing away would not have mattered (because the. MU pitcher did the inside move BEFORE the 1st pitch which would have had the same results) to try and help your stupid statement. I accept your apology and your cluelessness on baseball.

Stand by it all you want. Just don't add your own fake facts like subs that didn't happen and not knowing that regardless of bunt or hit and run or letting him swing away would not have mattered (because the. MU pitcher did the inside move BEFORE the 1st pitch which would have had the same results) to try and help your stupid statement. I accept your apology and your cluelessness on baseball.
You ate it up like a kid in candy land. Too easy.

Poor base running and poor coaching. Case closed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT