ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release WVU Baseball - Justin Oney Named Assistant Coach

Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. (June 13, 2024) West Virginia University baseball head coach Steve Sabins has named Justin Oney as the program’s newest assistant coach.

Oney is not new to WVU as he has spent the last two seasons on the staff, first as the Director of Player Development in 2023 and the Pitching Coordinator in 2024, helping lead the Mountaineers to a 2023 Big 12 Championship, back-to-back NCAA Regional appearances and a Super Regional berth in 2024.

“Justin Oney is one of the best developers of pitchers in the country. His ability to relate to young people and find ways to get them better is unmatched,” Sabins said. “He has a relationship-oriented approach matched with a data-centric mindset, utilizing technology, data, and a network of professionals in the pitching industry to ensure no rock is left unturned in the development of our pitchers. He loves recruiting, wants to see WVU on top, and is from the state and proud to be a Mountaineer. We are lucky Coach Oney will be on our staff. His fiancée Corey loves WVU Baseball and is a big part of our team as well.”

“I want to thank Coach Mazey for bringing me back home two years ago and Coach Sabins for keeping Corie and me around in Morgantown as part of his staff,” Oney said. “It’s been a blast representing the great state of West Virginia and I look forward to continuing to do so.”

In each of the past two seasons, the Mountaineer pitching staff has put together ERAs below five for the first time in a full season since 2019, including a 4.51 ERA in 2023, second-best in the Big 12 and 34th lowest in the nation.

This past season, the WVU pitching staff tossed five shutouts, 14th most in the nation and was also top 40 in the country by allowing just 8.52 hits per nine innings.

Individually, four pitchers have been named All-Big 12 in the past two seasons, including first-teamers Carlson Reed and Ben Hampton in 2023 and Derek Clark in 2024. Reed and Clark were also named ABCA All-Region while Clark was a third-team All-American by NCBWA. Additionally, David Hagaman was named to the NCBWA Freshman All-America team in 2023.

Oney arrived in Morgantown following a four-year stint as the pitching coach at Eastern Oklahoma State College. While at the junior college, he was part of a staff that compiled a record of 142-39 in the 4 seasons while helping 55 players move onto a four-year school, 21 of which were at the Division I level.

Eastern Oklahoma State, also the Mountaineers, won two NJCAA Region II Tournament Championships as well as two Regular Season Championships, both coming in 2021 and 2022.

In 2022 the Mountaineers went 51-5 and Oney saw his staff pitch at a 3.60 ERA in 432.0 IP with 512 strikeouts and only 188 walks while holding opponents to a .220 batting average. In 2021 the Mountaineers were 47-7 with the pitching staff having a 3.92 ERA in 413.2 IP with 595 strikeouts and a .216 opponent batting average.

Prior to Eastern Oklahoma, Oney served as the Graduate Assistant for Oklahoma Wesleyan where he primarily assisted with the pitching staff.

A native of Logan, West Virginia, Oney pitched at Glenville State University where he earned his bachelor’s degree in secondary education. He currently lives in Morgantown with his fiancée, Corie.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow @WVUBaseball on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT