ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Baseball absolutely SNUBBED by NCAA

MountaineerWV

All-American
Sep 18, 2007
Choosing South Alabama over WVU is ridiculous. Comparing the two conferences (Sun Belt vs Big 12) and the schedules that both played, their wins and losses against ALL teams, it's not even comparable who should have made it and who shouldn't have. The southern favoritism in the baseball selection committee rears its ugly head again. WVU was hot in the past 3-4 weeks of the season, plus made it to the Big 12 title game and lost in extra innings to a great TCU team. And that compared to a team that lost in the "mighty" Sun Belt conference tournament in the semifinals?????

But South Alabama had a better RPI, went 3-1 vs. SEC teams and 2-0 vs. Conference USA champ Southern Miss. All of those are more than we can claim.

If WVU can get 3 outs without giving up a run we aren't even having this conversation.

But South Alabama had a better RPI, went 3-1 vs. SEC teams and 2-0 vs. Conference USA champ Southern Miss. All of those are more than we can claim.
Also they won their conference. And Sunbelt baseball is not Sunbelt football. It's a very good baseball league.

Reactions: coalcountry52
WVU is the hottest college baseball team in the nation at season's end and the tournament. The Mountaineers should have been among the 64. I seriously doubt there are 64 teams playing better baseball than WVU at this time of the year. Serious snubbing. Maybe ACC could have lived with 9 teams?

I won't go so far as to claim WVU baseball got hosed, but it does raise some very serious questions when you see SE Louisiana, Nebraska, and South Alabama listed on the selection show as "Last 3 In"...and then you find out the selection committee chairman Joel Erdmann is the current AD of South Alabama.

I won't go so far as to claim WVU baseball got hosed, but it does raise some very serious questions when you see SE Louisiana, Nebraska, and South Alabama listed on the selection show as "Last 3 In"...and then you find out the selection committee chairman Joel Erdmann is the current AD of South Alabama.

DING DING DING.....

Look at South Alabama's schedule and their losses. I know WVU has lost some questionable games, but I believe that the conference you play in means a whole lot more. WVU was challenged each week in the Big 12. Anyone claiming that the Sun Belt baseball conference is on par with the Big 12 is kidding themselves.

WVU- RPI was 61
WVU was 3rd on the last 3 out in terms of RPI.
The last 3 in all had RPIs higher than WVU.

WVU didn't get snubbed, hosed, screwed, or messed over. WVU didn't start playing until late April/early May, so it is expected.

WVU- RPI was 61
WVU was 3rd on the last 3 out in terms of RPI.
The last 3 in all had RPIs higher than WVU.

WVU didn't get snubbed, hosed, screwed, or messed over. WVU didn't start playing until late April/early May, so it is expected.

If you think WVU is the only team that's lost to mid-major teams that would be considered a "head scratching" loss then you are sadly mistaken. Go ahead, look and compare the schedules of some of the schools that made it in and then look at WVU's. Fact is that WVU didn't make it a couple of years ago because of their "bad play" down the stretch. Now, the committee is basically saying they didn't make it because of their bad play in the beginning? So, what teams have played GREAT from start to finish???? Perhaps 10.......if that????? There are other schools that made it that WVU were better than.

Do away with automatic bids and boom! Why have automatic bids anyways? They don't have them in football. Winning your conference doesn't automatically get you in the playoffs. Either do automatic bids in all sports or none at all

I think most WVU Baseball fans realized that after a 19-18 start to the season against a really weak schedule that the Mountaineers would probably need to win the Big 12 Tournament to secure a post season regional.

I think most Johnny Come Lately fans, who started following the team 3 weeks ago, are probably the most disappointed and feel jilted by the selection committee.

Reactions: tOSUGrad90
Just grabbed two of the last 3 out (random) with WVU stats for the last 24 games (basically the last month of season plus the conference tournaments).

Sou Ala 13-11 overall
6-6 against Top 100 RPI
2-2 playoffs (against #97, #129, #81)
#50 final RPI

Nebraska 15-9 overall
7-8 against Top 100 RPI
0-2 playoffs (against #77, #99)
#48 final RPI

WVU 18-6 overall
11-5 against Top 100 RPI
3-1 playoffs (against #69, #14, #16)
#61 final RPI

The RPIs of the teams are not that far apart and considering that the committees like to say how well you play the last month is significant, then I think he and Randy Mazey have legitimate arguments. Big difference in competition, especially in the conference tournament.

“I think we deserved to get in,” coach Randy Mazey said Monday. “I think our players know that we deserved to get in, and (the selection committee) just made us mad now. That’s really going to help our fall practice.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Fingon
I think most WVU Baseball fans realized that after a 19-18 start to the season against a really weak schedule that the Mountaineers would probably need to win the Big 12 Tournament to secure a post season regional.

I think most Johnny Come Lately fans, who started following the team 3 weeks ago, are probably the most disappointed and feel jilted by the selection committee.

Hey jocktalker

How have you been?
Hope you're doing well.

Btw I really wish you, Bill, & Dan still had the show. Forget what I said once, what is on now is so baaaaad I went away from local & back to Paul FINEBAUM on the tunein app.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer

Spot on. This was a very young team that had some very unfortunate losses before it began to gel.

Three things they could not overcome.

Hawaii
Furman
Canisius

With that said, you also CANNOT pitch to Luken Baker in extra innings of the Big 12 championship game. CANNOT! smh.

Three things they could not overcome.

Hawaii
Furman
Canisius

Even though those are bad losses, probably not the deciding factor. The other two teams were worse.

WVU bad losses -
Hawaii #183
Furman #131
Canisius #196

Nebraska bad losses -
Wichita St #184
Northwestern #255
Nicholls St #182

South Alabama bad losses -
Appy St #239
Southern U. #296
Georgia St. #229

Even though those are bad losses, probably not the deciding factor. The other two teams were worse.

WVU bad losses -
Hawaii #183
Furman #131
Canisius #196

Nebraska bad losses -
Wichita St #184
Northwestern #255
Nicholls St #182

South Alabama bad losses -
Appy St #239
Southern U. #296
Georgia St. #229

Don't try to use LOGIC with these guys. Evidently, they are OK with getting screwed by the NCAA. Not to mention they think that all teams that made the field played great from day #1 and since WVU got off to a mediocre start, that we "deserved" or "expected" to be left out. Whatever.....

WVU got screwed. That's a FACT! And you provided plenty of evidence.

Don't try to use LOGIC with these guys. Evidently, they are OK with getting screwed by the NCAA. Not to mention they think that all teams that made the field played great from day #1 and since WVU got off to a mediocre start, that we "deserved" or "expected" to be left out. Whatever.....

WVU got screwed. That's a FACT! And you provided plenty of evidence.

100% agree!

Hey jocktalker

How have you been?
Hope you're doing well.

Btw I really wish you, Bill, & Dan still had the show. Forget what I said once, what is on now is so baaaaad I went away from local & back to Paul FINEBAUM on the tunein app.

Thanks Engineer! Bill, Dan and I miss doing the show and talking to die hard and knowledgeable fans like you! It was very kind of you to remember the talk show! [thumbsup] [WVU]

Despite the near-miss for Mountaineer baseball, I want to wish good luck to our conference mates Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma St as they begin NCAA regional play. The Cowboys are already off to a nice start today in their first game. Maybe next season WVU will be joining the rest on the road to Omaha.

Choosing South Alabama over WVU is ridiculous. Comparing the two conferences (Sun Belt vs Big 12) and the schedules that both played, their wins and losses against ALL teams, it's not even comparable who should have made it and who shouldn't have. The southern favoritism in the baseball selection committee rears its ugly head again. WVU was hot in the past 3-4 weeks of the season, plus made it to the Big 12 title game and lost in extra innings to a great TCU team. And that compared to a team that lost in the "mighty" Sun Belt conference tournament in the semifinals?????
I'm disappointed we didn't get in, but we did the exact opposite of 2014 when we were in the 30s in RPI, but two seven game losing streaks made us the first team out. This year we started rather poorly and lost games we shouldn't have, then went on a tear. Sadly, those losses still counted against us.

You play this schedule with next year's team, we win 40 games and are a shoo-in.

Reactions: jocktalker
Congratulations to our friends at Texas Tech, TCU, and Oklahoma St for upholding the fine tradition of Big 12 baseball and advancing to this weekend's Super Regionals.

They all played well and definitely bolstered the conference's reputation in the Regional round. It got me wondering whether WVU might've won a game or two ourselves if given the opportunity.

Good luck to all three this weekend. TCU in particular has an extremely difficult draw facing A&M. I do expect at least the Red Raiders to reach Omaha.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT