ADVERTISEMENT

WVU and Myrtle Beach

Aug 12, 2004
Just returned from another wonderful vacation in the Myrtle Beach area. My family has been vacationing in that area for over 20 years and I am always amazed at the number of WVU fans I see. On top of that there are multiple bars with WVU painted on the buildings or flying WVU flags. Then there are the WVU fans which I see everywhere. Outside of Clemson and USCjr fans, I would have to say the next biggest represented fanbase is West Virginia.

So what is the deal with WVU and Myrtle Beach?

Just returned from another wonderful vacation in the Myrtle Beach area. My family has been vacationing in that area for over 20 years and I am always amazed at the number of WVU fans I see. On top of that there are multiple bars with WVU painted on the buildings or flying WVU flags. Then there are the WVU fans which I see everywhere. Outside of Clemson and USCjr fans, I would have to say the next biggest represented fanbase is West Virginia.

So what is the deal with WVU and Myrtle Beach?
It's been that way since the 60s. It was always the easiest beach for most West Virginians to reach. A large percentage of the overall visitors are still from WV but it's fallen a lot since the late 70s when it was estimated that almost 70% of the summer time visitors were from WV. Today it's WV, Ohio, Tenn, NJ and NY.

As for the sports fans it's not even close, WVU wins easily. Even South Carolina and Clemson are not on WVU's level because very few people here (I live here a decent amount of time throughout the year) are actually from SC. For example in my subdivision there are eight WVU homes, one USC and two Clemson. After WVU would be Ohio State.

I still love the area but it's not quite "good enough" for some WV people. When MB comes up on the Blue Lot you always have a select few that have to take their shots. But you won't find a more West Virginia (and WVU) friendly place to visit.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
It's been that way since the 60s. It was always the easiest beach for most West Virginians to reach. A large percentage of the overall visitors are still from WV but it's fallen a lot since the late 70s when it was estimated that almost 70% of the summer time visitors were from WV. Today it's WV, Ohio, Tenn, NJ and NY.

As for the sports fans it's not even close, WVU wins easily. Even South Carolina and Clemson are not on WVU's level because very few people here (I live here a decent amount of time throughout the year) are actually from SC. For example in my subdivision there are eight WVU homes, one USC and two Clemson. After WVU would be Ohio State.

I still love the area but it's not quite "good enough" for some WV people. When MB comes up on the Blue Lot you always have a select few that have to take their shots. But you won't find a more West Virginia (and WVU) friendly place to visit.

Glad to hear it! My three kids, wife and i will be there the last two weeks of this month. Staying at Island Vista Resort this year, after a brief stint in historic Savannah. We always watch for WVU gear/people.

Two places outside of WV where you will see the "flying WV" as much or more than any other college logo - Myrtle Beach, and the area around Charlotte, NC.

Glad to hear it! My three kids, wife and i will be there the last two weeks of this month. Staying at Island Vista Resort this year, after a brief stint in historic Savannah. We always watch for WVU gear/people.
We almost bought at the Island Vista when we bought our place at the Caribbean Resort but at the time IV didn't have any available three bedrooms. I absolutely love that resort.

Growing up in a coal mining community from the mid 40's to early 60's and being surrounded by many other mining operations, the coal companies would shut down the mine operation every year, I'm thinking for a week. Many miners, as result, would head to Myrtle Beach during that time. When you think about how many individual mines were in operation during those times, the cumulative total of the number of miners visiting there was large. And the tradition continued thru the years, ala college spring break .

Myrtle Beach Pelicans hosting a WV Night on Wednesday July 13th, will anyone be in the area?

There isn't anything special about Myrtle Beach anymore. Most go for convenience of location, but there are nicer beaches with much more activities near them than Myrtle. They cornered the WV market, no doubt.

Folks in WV used to think that Myrtle was the only beach there was. They truly didn't know others existed. I went to MB during miners vacation for 28 years in a row. I actually didn't know the beach bordered the Atlantic Ocean. I thought the beach bordered a big river and I always was running up and down the coast looking for the bridge to get to the other side. How dumb!

I also thought i remembered Myrtle Beach being mentioned in movie October Sky. It was...

Elsie: Homer once said you love the mine more than your own family. I stook up for you because I didn't want to believe it. Homer has gotten alot of help from the people in this town. They've helped him build his rockets. They've watched him fly 'em. But not you. You never showed up, not even once. I'm not asking you to believe in it, but he's your son, for God's sake. And I am asking you to help him. If you don't, I'll leave you. I'll do whatever it takes to get away from here. I will work, if that's what it takes. I'll live in a tree to get away from you. Don't think I won't.
John: Where would you go?
Elsie: Myrtle Beach.

great golf courses..a close friend of mine had a restaurant/bar there..he dipped snuff forever..he died of tongue cancer of all things..they told him for a chance to live, they would have to cut his tongue out..he told them, you're not cutting my fkn tongue out...RIP

We almost bought at the Island Vista when we bought our place at the Caribbean Resort but at the time IV didn't have any available three bedrooms. I absolutely love that resort.

We've stayed at Longbay resort for decades. Three bedroom condo the last week of September and/or first week of October. Love the place. Haven't been for a couple years though.

I like FL beaches better than Myrtle but simply due to the warmer water temperatures. You get at least 2 more months of good beach fun in FL.

I used to go to surf side years back I had a lot of fun, but the FL water is always warmer.

Lot of WVians go to Myrtle. Lot down there.

I like FL beaches better than Myrtle but simply due to the warmer water temperatures. You get at least 2 more months of good beach fun in FL.

I used to go to surf side years back I had a lot of fun, but the FL water is always warmer.

Lot of WVians go to Myrtle. Lot down there.

Heck, nobody ever told ole Warez about Florida and their beach. I drove down to Miami when I was in my early 40's and that's when I verified the rumor.

Any beach is good depending on the time of year you visit. To me, Myrtle is the typical tourist trap with all the golf courses, go cart tracks, and goofy golf. Kind of like Pigeon Forge with a seacoast as a backdrop instead of the Smokies. I prefer to go to a less crowded beach, where fishing rods are more common than skim boards. I like a place that isn't crowded. Where there's just me and the ocean. The Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge is my kind of place - 17 miles of totally undeveloped oceanfront. But that's just me....

Any beach is good depending on the time of year you visit. To me, Myrtle is the typical tourist trap with all the golf courses, go cart tracks, and goofy golf. Kind of like Pigeon Forge with a seacoast as a backdrop instead of the Smokies. I prefer to go to a less crowded beach, where fishing rods are more common than skim boards. I like a place that isn't crowded. Where there's just me and the ocean. The Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge is my kind of place - 17 miles of totally undeveloped oceanfront. But that's just me....

From what I hear Myrtle Beach is so crowded nowdays that nobody goes there anymore. Where is the Back Bay National? That sounds like my type of place

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT