ADVERTISEMENT

Wow...a difference of 54,000.

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
While the Mountaineers cancelled the Spring game because of snow in Iowa lol, Florida State showcased the coming season to nearly 54,000 fans yesterday. If I were recruiting against the Mountaineers I would use that.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
While the Mountaineers cancelled the Spring game because of snow in Iowa lol, Florida State showcased the coming season to nearly 54,000 fans yesterday. If I were recruiting against the Mountaineers I would use that.

usa_today_9691179.0.jpg

Cancelled
these schools have called their games off on the weekend of April 14:
Rescheduled or otherwise affected
Parts of the SEC West ended up very lightly attended.

A lot of this has to do with player safety. A team definitely doesn’t want a torn ACL in a scrimmage game, and weather might make footing slippery.

There’s no real harm in cancelling spring games other than the fact that the inconsequential scrimmages are really fun days for fans who don’t otherwise get to go to games in the fall. But it’s a lot more fun to be warm and dry.

Even if WVU had played the spring game. The 54,000 alone would be enough to use against Mountaineer recruiting.

Reactions: Rootmaster
The spring game was cancelled because:

A) needless risk of injury in bad weather

B) our fans wont even show up for real games if it gets below 45 degrees

C) spring games are stupid
I agree 100%. You put 22 players at risk to put on a show for maybe 5,000 fans at most. WVU had enough injuries this spring without piling on. We don't have Alabama's quality depth so every starter who goes down really hurts WVU. Save the whacking for September when Tennessee shows up across from us.

It usually was 2 weeks before finals. Not sure about this year. Either way the 3rd Saturday or around 15-20 day of April was the norm.

Football...practice, scrimmage, or game action...is a game of risk. Folks who get caught up in PC thinking will be asking for no hitting during the season. If this team has such severe depth problems then perhaps a coach who could remedy that should be hired and the current crew replaced.

Private donations disagree

Sick children would further disagree.

I’m not saying I’m a huge Spring Game fan, but dismissing an at least 50k donation to WVU Children’s is ridiculous.

If they wanted to do it right by the fans and WVU Children’s AND not risk injury, they should make a Meet the Team Day ($10 admit per person) event. Think of Fan Day with a smaller crowd since they’d have to pay.
Dana could have the players introduce themselves and maybe show off any new alternate uni’s coming up.

Do a silent auction for experiences, tickets, etc.

Everyone wins.

Excuses, Excuses.
They could have rescheduled the event. They let the players participate in the other events of the day which counted as their last practice.

Could have moved the event to this past Sat. It was 86 Degrees in Morgantown yesterday.

Cancelled Spring Game..... Excuses.

Why is it so import to play this spring game that shows absolutely nothing.

I doubt if FSU needs attendance to use against WVU, they can point to their trophy case. I have to say, anybody who thinks that FSU even worries about WVU is a little touched in the head.

I doubt if FSU needs attendance to use against WVU, they can point to their trophy case. I have to say, anybody who thinks that FSU even worries about WVU is a little touched in the head.

Let me clear this up since reading comprehension is not your strong suit apparently. Didn't say FSU had to worry about recruiting against WVU...was merely pointing out the difference between the thinking and norm for programs that are the same P5 level as WVU. The Mountaineers cancelled their Spring game and did not reschedule while others make it a big deal. That is a huge factor in recruiting. Got it?

I get what Root is saying. There are a lot of schools that didn't/aren't cancelling their games. I don't know if that gives them an advantage, but it does give the fans a chance to see a slight glimmer of the players. If anything, the game is more for the fans and fundraisers.

Let me clear this up since reading comprehension is not your strong suit apparently. Didn't say FSU had to worry about recruiting against WVU...was merely pointing out the difference between the thinking and norm for programs that are the same P5 level as WVU. The Mountaineers cancelled their Spring game and did not reschedule while others make it a big deal. That is a huge factor in recruiting. Got it?
Let's clear this up because you must have had a frontal lobotomy. FSU doesn't have to use anything in recruiting against WVU. We are a pissant compared to their program. If you meant to say, if I were Pitt, Maryland, Michigan State, Kentucky , somebody of similar programs, i would use the fact that WVU cancelled their spring game because WVU fans wouldn't attend in bad weather.

FSU doesn't have to use anything in recruiting against WVU.

Once again dude since you are demonstrating a thickness of the head...no one, certainly not me, is comparing FSU recruiting to WVU. Good grief...read, comprehend, think before you respond. lol

Once again dude since you are demonstrating a thickness of the head...no one, certainly not me, is comparing FSU recruiting to WVU. Good grief...read, comprehend, think before you respond. lol
How about you don't even include fsu in your post. Looks like you are comparing the two schools. You should have said, if I'm recruiting against wvu, fsu doesn't, I would say they can't even get enough fans to attend their spring game.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
If anything close to 30,000 fans showed up to the Spring Game on the norm it wouldn't have been cancelled...maybe rescheduled due to weather but not cancelled. A practice in front of 5000 fans hurts recruiting more than not having it.... Easy recruiting spin for the coaches is that we care more about your safety than putting on a meaningless show in the cold.

Yeah, because if we had a spring game with a couple thousand people, FSU would not have been able to use that against us in recruiting.

I have read this entire thread and am saddened by the fact that I wasted these minutes.
What a truly worthless discussion!

With that logic, WVU, Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa State are inferior to Florida State. Better not tell the Wolverines coach that to his face.

With that logic, WVU, Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa State are inferior to Florida State. Better not tell the Wolverines coach that to his face.

Well at least you are consistent...as a paid professional you don't comprehend much do you? BTW thanks for pointing out my apparent attempt at "logic". It is something you should do occasionally lol.

The spring game was cancelled because:

A) needless risk of injury in bad weather

B) our fans wont even show up for real games if it gets below 45 degrees

C) spring games are stupid

The weather was perfectly fine with zero accumulation or precipitation and temperatures in the upper 30's. In fact, some might have called it perfect football weather.

I agree 100%. You put 22 players at risk to put on a show for maybe 5,000 fans at most. WVU had enough injuries this spring without piling on. We don't have Alabama's quality depth so every starter who goes down really hurts WVU. Save the whacking for September when Tennessee shows up across from us.
So why don't they just cancel spring practice in the future to avoid injuries? In fact, do away with August practices as those might result in injuries too. Guess what? Injuries are an inherent, inseparable part of the game that any team has to learn to live with. Good thing our team motto isn't "anywhere, anytime, anyplace" or something similar. Maybe it should be, "fragile mentally, fragile physically."

Sorry Airport, I just quoted your thread so I can claim I posted in a whiney winny thread...

Reactions: Airport
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT