ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup of Hockey 2016

WVU82

Hall of Famer
May 29, 2001
CqEv1F1VMAAJh1a.jpg

I am leary of this young NA team...they will be fast and loose...and with this Bettman invention leaves the US and Canada slightly weaker. I understand his point of trying to level the field but it drives me absolutely bananas to be honest....I realize they are highly competitive athletes but what kid wants to score on his own country? I would think he'd be overjoyed to score for his country...ok I'll quit harping on it now (maybe :wink:), and just try to enjoy! Should be some very good hockey.
Trying to get tix for the Canada/Czech opener here....

Not that anyone asked about (or cares) what I think, but this is one international Tournament......probably THE first (and possibly the LAST) of my entire life......where I'll have NO trouble rooting for North America, or Sweden, or Finland, or Canada, or maybe even the friggin' Russians over the USA.

And it's not JUST that Tortorella is part of the organization, though that's reason enough (in my estimation) to root for everyone else. Aside Torts, their brain trust includes Paul Holmgren AND the intergalactically insufferable Brian Burke. How ANYONE can root for a team with Torts AND Burke.....and Grade A assholes like Justin Abdelkater and, for Gawd sakes, Brandon Dubinsky.....is something I'm not sure I can explain.

To my way of thinking, why NOT pull for the North America youngsters ?? Lord knows, I can't see myself with too many future reasons to pull for Conner McDavid now that HE'S going to start getting that "greatest player in the world" treatment that turned the universe against Sid. Plus, they've got Matt Murray and Pittsburghers John Gibson (who, unlike SO many others, I personally do NOT believe is going to be their auto-default in goal) and Brandon Saad.

Like most other Pens fans, I want the US to struggle to score and turn EVERYONE against Torts (and Lombardi AND Burkey) for ignoring Kessel. With Horny AND Hags playing for the Swedes, they might be my second choice (even though it might be tough to pull for ANY team with Lundqvist). Of course, Sid will make it little more than marginally easier to root for a Canada organization who gave the royal middle finger to Kris Letang.

Man, hard to believe the tournament now is less than a month away......and I also didn't realize (until researching items for this post) that the event is a reincarnation of the Canada Cup which put Mario on the world stage back in 1987.

Not that anyone asked about (or cares) what I think, but this is one international Tournament......probably THE first (and possibly the LAST) of my entire life......where I'll have NO trouble rooting for North America, or Sweden, or Finland, or Canada, or maybe even the friggin' Russians over the USA.

And it's not JUST that Tortorella is part of the organization, though that's reason enough (in my estimation) to root for everyone else. Aside Torts, their brain trust includes Paul Holmgren AND the intergalactically insufferable Brian Burke. How ANYONE can root for a team with Torts AND Burke.....and Grade A assholes like Justin Abdelkater and, for Gawd sakes, Brandon Dubinsky.....is something I'm not sure I can explain.

To my way of thinking, why NOT pull for the North America youngsters ?? Lord knows, I can't see myself with too many future reasons to pull for Conner McDavid now that HE'S going to start getting that "greatest player in the world" treatment that turned the universe against Sid. Plus, they've got Matt Murray and Pittsburghers John Gibson (who, unlike SO many others, I personally do NOT believe is going to be their auto-default in goal) and Brandon Saad.

Like most other Pens fans, I want the US to struggle to score and turn EVERYONE against Torts (and Lombardi AND Burkey) for ignoring Kessel. With Horny AND Hags playing for the Swedes, they might be my second choice (even though it might be tough to pull for ANY team with Lundqvist). Of course, Sid will make it little more than marginally easier to root for a Canada organization who gave the royal middle finger to Kris Letang.

Man, hard to believe the tournament now is less than a month away......and I also didn't realize (until researching items for this post) that the event is a reincarnation of the Canada Cup which put Mario on the world stage back in 1987.
No worries CM...I care lol...

As per Team USA...yes that knob Torts and Jerkie Burkie (I was sick of hearing his knuckle dragging BS from about the time of Betuzzi, and then more so when he arrived in TO), I feel your pain in that regard...
On our side we have Toronto's proclaimed hockey God Babcock (whom I swear lays this Saskatchewan hockey accent on even thicker by the year...I call bullshit on that one Mike), and everyone's favourite asshat Marchand! So I will be gritting my teeth as well from time to time...nevermind the two bearded jackwagon Sharks, who may just play the disappearing act again...

That Canada Cup in 87 was like my generations 72 , or perhaps your generations 80...I remember it vividly till this day. I even had the poster shot of 66 & 99 hugging behind the net after that goal prominently displayed on my bedroom wall as a child lol....I am not sure we will ever again get the chance to see 2 players of that ilk on the ice , on the same line ever again. It was pure magic with Mario just coming into his prime years and Gretzky in full flight...

How Jake Muzzin gets the call over Letang confounds me but hey...Babs is the know it all hockey God isn't he???

I will sidetrack here for a minute...according to a bird on my shoulder Stamer came to town for the BIG sell and? Well...they smothered the poor guy lol...brought in the mayor, the CEO of Canadian Tire (mega hardware automotive giant up here which perhaps you know), Sportcheck etc etc...'Steve you're gonna be the face of this, and our rep for that' blah blah blah...minutes out of the meeting? Stamer to agent 'Toronto is off the table period' LMFAO...oh the humanity [roll].

Anyway...I agree. Looking forward to seeing Hags and Horny out there with the three Cronas...and hopefully MM gets a fair shot for the net with team NA. No Kessel still confounds me no matter who's in charge.

Another side note as I do know you enjoy the music like myself.. tonight was 'The Tragically Hip's' last concert ever in Kingston Ontario. If you don't know of them they're a band steeped in Canadian lore over the last 25 years...so much so that the CBC broadcast it live. It was epic. The singer Gordon Downey is dying of terminal brain cancer sadly, and thus tonight was the end of his career...the PM Trudeau was there, and enough maple leaf flags to paint the building permanently red and white....the band is also ingrained into the hockey culture here too and often reference it in their songs.. Downey is quite the character and is a Bruins fan (yuk) lol....I will try and look up one of their videos that best represents them and post it for ya....'50 Mission Cap' they sing about Bill Barilko...its actually a song my band played for many years while touring as well...you'll like these guys. Real rock n roll

Here ya go

Last edited:
No worries CM...I care lol...

As per Team USA...yes that knob Torts and Jerkie Burkie (I was sick of hearing his knuckle dragging BS from about the time of Betuzzi, and then more so when he arrived in TO), I feel your pain in that regard...
On our side we have Toronto's proclaimed hockey God Babcock (whom I swear lays this Saskatchewan hockey accent on even thicker by the year...I call bullshit on that one Mike), and everyone's favourite asshat Marchand! So I will be gritting my teeth as well from time to time...nevermind the two bearded jackwagon Sharks, who may just play the disappearing act again...

That Canada Cup in 87 was like my generations 72 , or perhaps your generations 80...I remember it vividly till this day. I even had the poster shot of 66 & 99 hugging behind the net after that goal prominently displayed on my bedroom wall as a child lol....I am not sure we will ever again get the chance to see 2 players of that ilk on the ice , on the same line ever again. It was pure magic with Mario just coming into his prime years and Gretzky in full flight...

How Jake Muzzin gets the call over Letang confounds me but hey...Babs is the know it all hockey God isn't he???

I will sidetrack here for a minute...according to a bird on my shoulder Stamer came to town for the BIG sell and? Well...they smothered the poor guy lol...brought in the mayor, the CEO of Canadian Tire (mega hardware automotive giant up here which perhaps you know), Sportcheck etc etc...'Steve you're gonna be the face of this, and our rep for that' blah blah blah...minutes out of the meeting? Stamer to agent 'Toronto is off the table period' LMFAO...oh the humanity [roll].

Anyway...I agree. Looking forward to seeing Hags and Horny out there with the three Cronas...and hopefully MM gets a fair shot for the net with team NA. No Kessel still confounds me no matter who's in charge.

Oh, that rumored Canadian Tire deal for Stammer was all over NHLN Radio in the days before he announced he was staying in Tampa. As is clearly the case, all their Laffs fans thought that supposed deal was going to be the cherry on top of their sundae before he announced he was signing with the their team. But I didn't know he basically gave Pope Mike and St Lou the finger; serves them right.

And I'm equally glad he didn't take Detroit's money either, who I'm certain would have paid every bit as much (or more) money as the Laffs.

I wonder where the group of village idiots campaigning a few years ago for Toews as captain are now? Under a rock likely...

On a side note this Canadian team is suffering some significant loses already, and IMO they could have significant impact...replacing Benn with Couture is a joke and Keith with Bouwmeister almost as silly...Hey Pope Mike and staff! How bout Letang...you know the Norris finalist!?! Or even Subann? I'd take a defensive lapse or 2 in favour of some creativity!....as you can imagine this has about 35 million armchair coaches(like yours truly) up here in a tizzy to say the least...

And I don't care about LH or RH shots either...there is enough balance with 8 to take the best available man....

Last edited:
I wonder where the group of village idiots campaigning a few years ago for Toews as captain are now? Under a rock likely...

On a side note this Canadian team is suffering some significant loses already, and IMO they could have significant impact...replacing Benn with Couture is a joke and Keith with Bouwmeister almost as silly...Hey Pope Mike and staff! How bout Letang...you know the Norris finalist!?! Or even Subann? I'd take a defensive lapse or 2 in favour of some creativity!....as you can imagine this has about 35 million armchair coaches(like yours truly) up here in a tizzy to say the least...

And I don't care about LH or RH shots either...there is enough balance with 8 to take the best available man....

I don't know (and honestly don't care) what Benn's problem is.....but for a reason I can't exactly explain, I've convinced myself that Keith just flat doesn't want to bust his ass THIS early on the season (and is more interested to spend a little more time on the beach).

Much of this is because he's got "an injury", meaning non-specified. Maybe that's been more/better defined this past week......I've been traveling since Sunday night......but I just have a feeling he think he thinks he's bigger than the Tournament. Anyway, screw him and the horse he rode in on.

Conversely, I'm now glad Letang is getting the time off; I also hope he takes whatever frustration he has for getting ignored out on Torts this season.

I don't know (and honestly don't care) what Benn's problem is.....but for a reason I can't exactly explain, I've convinced myself that Keith just flat doesn't want to bust his ass THIS early on the season (and is more interested to spend a little more time on the beach).

Much of this is because he's got "an injury", meaning non-specified. Maybe that's been more/better defined this past week......I've been traveling since Sunday night......but I just have a feeling he think he thinks he's bigger than the Tournament. Anyway, screw him and the horse he rode in on.

Conversely, I'm now glad Letang is getting the time off; I also hope he takes whatever frustration he has for getting ignored out on Torts this season.
Oh I agree with you 100% re Keith....I truly appreciate the ones that elect to suit up for their country when called upon ...especially since they're millionaires and don't necessarily need to ...I've always found Keith to be an asshat regardless...he crosses the line too often for my liking...however I would be a fool to suggest he's not an important cog in the wheel.

And of course you care about Benn's problem CM!!! It's likely one or 2 less goals for 'me and the good guys' up here lol...:wink:

I suppose you're right re: Tanger...he could definitely use the time off...I'd just love to see him out there in Red and White...selfishly.

Oh I agree with you 100% re Keith....I truly appreciate the ones that elect to suit up for their country when called upon ...especially since they're millionaires and don't necessarily need to ...I've always found Keith to be an asshat regardless...he crosses the line too often for my liking...however I would be a fool to suggest he's not an important cog in the wheel.

And of course you care about Benn's problem CM!!! It's likely one or 2 less goals for 'me and the good guys' up here lol...:wink:

I suppose you're right re: Tanger...he could definitely use the time off...I'd just love to see him out there in Red and White...selfishly.

Oh, I guess your point about Benn, t, is dead on.......[thumbsup]

Meanwhile, I blamed Torts for Letang's WCH omission, which is obviously incorrect......that one, of course, actually belongs to Doug Armstrong and St Mike. So, it's DA and SM who'd rather have Bouwmeester, even with a pinch hit shot at taking KL......and that's A-OK with me. Let Tanger buy Keith (or vice versa) a drink on the beach [cheers]

For the record, I just wish Sid wasn't the only selfish reason for me to pull for Canada [winking]

Presumably like most, I thought the NA squad looked pretty good last night.

No secret they can move; and on a team with great wheels, I have to admit THE best ones probably belong to Connor McDavid. I was also impressed with my first-ever honest good look at Nathan MacKinnon; kind-of reminds me of an amped-up version of Stamkos. I missed the 3rd, but Murray looked pretty comfy in goal in the 1st and 2nd without a terrible amount of work to do.

As for what's bothering me this morning, NHL Network was falling all over itself about the Tarasenko top-corner snipe yesterday versus the Czechs...... and it WAS a nice shot......but Olli Maatta pots a similar kind of shot to beat the Swedes yesterday in OT, and all Mike Johnson can say is how lousy the Swede goaltender (Jhonas Enroth I believe) looked on the play.

Reactions: WVU82
Watching USA vs Finland on ESPN... USA up 3-0 in the 2nd

Last edited:
With the Tourney FINALLY set to begin later today, I find myself wondering about one of the favorites, Sweden.

The hockey media is obsessed with defense; and if reputation matters, there's little doubt the Swedes are as good or better at the blue line as Canada. But I don't think anyone is especially enamored with their forwards, and I myself think......especially coming of his abortion against the Pens last Spring.....King Henrik has to prove he's still elite.

Outside Canada.....and possibly NA (who the fans seems to love, even though McDavid has been a no-show thus far)......nobody in the field (largely because of Lundqvist) seems more at risk to me to underperform than Sweden. That said, I still can't see how anyone beats Canada unless their goaltending ends up stinking.

Man, that disallowed PP goal against the USA was a weird one...... still 2-0 Euro, but this call might piss off the Americans. But they better be careful they don't do TOO much headhunting....

Sid was Canada's best player last night......meaning at least half of Canada's hockey fans are pissed off this morning.

Sid was Canada's best player last night......meaning at least half of Canada's hockey fans are pissed off this morning.
Lmao...indeed somewhat CM. The overwhelming majority I find to be Crosby fans of convenience.....he's dirt if he doesn't show on the ledger yet he is the second coming of 66/99 if he scores...mind boggling.
One question in regards to the US roster...do you have any idea as to why they elected to make the team a big bruising squad as opposed to puck movement? And if so why in the hell they elected to not start Big Buf? I honestly don't get it? I sense the goal was to create a roster that would pound Canada, which may well happen on Tuesday...but fast paced puck movement is the game of the day it seems. I expect a better game outta the American back end on Tuesday. And also there is the decision of no Faulk (his skill set would be a huge asset imo)and no Kessel...that mystifies me still...
And how about that Swede D that you mentioned earlier in their tilt today CM?!? Wow they looked good...locked the Ruskies down, stood their ground on the blue line and moved that puck...good call...

Lmao...indeed somewhat CM. The overwhelming majority I find to be Crosby fans of convenience.....he's dirt if he doesn't show on the ledger yet he is the second coming of 66/99 if he scores...mind boggling.
One question in regards to the US roster...do you have any idea as to why they elected to make the team a big bruising squad as opposed to puck movement? And if so why in the hell they elected to not start Big Buf? I honestly don't get it? I sense the goal was to create a roster that would pound Canada, which may well happen on Tuesday...but fast paced puck movement is the game of the day it seems. I expect a better game outta the American back end on Tuesday. And also there is the decision of no Faulk (his skill set would be a huge asset imo)and no Kessel...that mystifies me still...
And how about that Swede D that you mentioned earlier in their tilt today CM?!? Wow they looked good...locked the Ruskies down, stood their ground on the blue line and moved that puck...good call...

From everything I can tell, yesterday's US abortion has fallen squarely in Torts' lap. Besides no Kessel, Tyler Johnson, and Faulk.....a decision which belongs to the brain trust as much as him......then he benches Buf. He was surprisingly calm in the aftermath; not sure what it means, but he hasn't taken any swings at the Press just yet. Of course, his team gets whacked by Canada, and the Press will be all over him like stink on shit. I think I'll root for TC in that game.

I missed the 1P, but thought the Swedes made the Russians look awfully bad until the 59th minute. One good sign is they didn't miss Lundqvist; though, I'm not sure they want to play the whole event with Markstrom in the cage. But they looked better from goal line to goal line than I expected, and I now think they'll be very tough to beat in their side of the draw.

Reactions: torontoeers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT