Vernon

The Legend
Staff
May 29, 2001
Beyond The Sun
wvsports.com
With a heavy heart, Bucs safety Keith Tandy finishes the preseason strong

Friday, September 4, 2015 12:54am

Bucs safety Keith Tandy didn't need the threat of looming roster cuts to remind him Thursday could be his last game.

He learned that well exactly three weeks earlier, when his 17-year-old nephew, Jayvon Charles, was killed on his high school football field in an accident as he was moving football equipment and was struck in the head.

"I know somebody up there is watching me," Tandy said after he intercepted two passes in the final two minutes — one in the end zone — to seal the Bucs' 22-17 win over the Dolphins. "You get out there, you get away for a little bit. Sometimes I catch myself still thinking about him. He makes you realize how quick you can be gone. It makes you cherish every moment. I was tired, but I was like 'I could be at home right now.'"

Down five points, Miami and former Bucs quarterback Josh Freeman had driven to the Bucs' 18-yard line at the two-minute warning. Tandy got a boost from the Bucs challenging a call, which created a break, allowing him to rest before catching his first interception in the end zone.

"We got them in a passing situation. (Rookie safety) Chris Hackett had great coverage underneath, so he forced the high throw, and the ball hit me right in my chest," Tandy said.

More: http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/with-heavy-heart-tandy-finished-preseason-strong/2244160

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT