ADVERTISEMENT

Will WVU ever get into the...

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
playoffs in football as a member of the Big 12-2=10 conference? We were close as an independent and in the Big East...now I don't see that happening. Even in a year that the Mountaineers defeat Oklahoma and win the league I can hear the media saying how down the conference was and leaving WVU behind as a fluke. What say you?

Yes, but only if undefeated. No, otherwise. Of course, the CFP may be expanded to eight teams in a few years, which would make it a lot easier to earn a bid.

Will still have to W the B12 even if it expands.
I believe it will take consistent excellent seasons to raise the profile...which is why I always harp on fans accepting mediocre or once in the blue moon achievement. You are right however that it starts with winning that first conference title.

Truly just a hunch. Really just wanted to see how you would reply. Lol
Good Golly Miss Molly I was hoping you had your eyeballs on some top secret plan! In any event...I believe the university...the athletic department...the coaching staff...the players...and we the fans have to demand excellence and accept noyhing but excellence. Got to ditch the good enough mentality and attitude.

Reactions: locustwv
Of course not. Wake me up when WVU starts recruiting Top 15 classes. Until then any discussion regarding WVU needs to center on Top 25 final ranking. Don’t feel like looking that up but it hasn’t been many over last decade right?

playoffs in football as a member of the Big 12-2=10 conference? We were close as an independent and in the Big East...now I don't see that happening. Even in a year that the Mountaineers defeat Oklahoma and win the league I can hear the media saying how down the conference was and leaving WVU behind as a fluke. What say you?
Only if it is increased to 8 or 16 teams will they ever make the playoffs..

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
I believe it will take consistent excellent seasons to raise the profile...which is why I always harp on fans accepting mediocre or once in the blue moon achievement. You are right however that it starts with winning that first conference title.
Who has stated anything about accepting mediocrity. It's been 2 ****ing seasons and you act like it's been 20.

Good Golly Miss Molly I was hoping you had your eyeballs on some top secret plan! In any event...I believe the university...the athletic department...the coaching staff...the players...and we the fans have to demand excellence and accept noyhing but excellence. Got to ditch the good enough mentality and attitude.
You act as if people who like a coach after 22 games are accepting mediocrity. This is not a blue blood program that can snap it's fingers and be like we are #1. It even took Rod 4 years to get what he had and that happened because of Pat White.

Has nothing to do with good enough mentality and attitude. Now if it had been 4 years and him going into his 5th season then you might be right. But for now your just a total shit job Bucky like and wrong after 22 games.

Of course not. Wake me up when WVU starts recruiting Top 15 classes. Until then any discussion regarding WVU needs to center on Top 25 final ranking. Don’t feel like looking that up but it hasn’t been many over last decade right?
We’re not just talking about “good” recruiting. We’re talking elite recruiting over a sustained period of time.

-11 of the 14 national champions averaged a top 10 recruiting class in the four years leading up to them winning the crown.

-Nearly half (six of 14) averaged a top five class.

-Five of the last six have averaged a top six class or better.

Dabo Swinney’s 2016 squad was one of those three teams that didn’t average a top 10 recruiting class yet still won a national title, along with 2003 LSU and 2010 Auburn.

Each of those teams got it done in different ways. So it's not impossible to win without top 15 classes but it's rare.

This is why Polls and BCS were better for teams like WVU. The playoff system has locked out majority of college football teams making it more important to average a top 10 recruiting class to even make the playoffs.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
This is why Polls and BCS were better for teams like WVU. The playoff system has locked out majority of college football teams making it more important to average a top 10 recruiting class to even make the playoffs.
Liberal ESPN chooses the playoff teams. Yeah, they have a committee, but when it comes down to it, I think ESPN talking fools have a say in the matter. WVU likely has to go undefeated to get a shot in a 4 team playoff, maybe 12-1 will get them in, depending on who the one loss might be to, but ESPN is in it for the money, and small population states likely don't move their needle much, especially if they can pick someone with almost as good of a resume from a larger area.

and small population states likely don't move their needle much, especially if they can pick someone with almost as good of a resume from a larger area.
If only the Crimson Tide and Clemson Tigers were in the top 20 most populated states...maybe they would have a chance...until then.....probably not.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
my post wasn't on the board for 10 minutes, and somebody replied, someone who's on ignore, and there's only one person I have on ignore.

wonder who it could have been? hahaha

• Haha
Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
No. Never. The landscape has changed so the have nots are a non factor. There are ten teams you will see regularly in the playoffs if that many.

my post wasn't on the board for 10 minutes, and somebody replied, someone who's on ignore, and there's only one person I have on ignore.

wonder who it could have been? hahaha
On ignore (so he claims) but the dumbass brings me up in a post every day.....that is weird right?

Thought so.

Who has stated anything about accepting mediocrity. It's been 2 ****ing seasons and you act like it's been 20.

You act as if people who like a coach after 22 games are accepting mediocrity. This is not a blue blood program that can snap it's fingers and be like we are #1. It even took Rod 4 years to get what he had and that happened because of Pat White.

Has nothing to do with good enough mentality and attitude. Now if it had been 4 years and him going into his 5th season then you might be right. But for now your just a total shit job Bucky like and wrong after 22 games.
Not saying last two seasons. Read. Comprehend. WVU has a long...proud...deep seated history of celebrating "almosts"...."could have beens" and moral victories. Until that changes WVU will continue to be cannon fodder for the big boys.

We’re not just talking about “good” recruiting. We’re talking elite recruiting over a sustained period of time.

-11 of the 14 national champions averaged a top 10 recruiting class in the four years leading up to them winning the crown.

-Nearly half (six of 14) averaged a top five class.

-Five of the last six have averaged a top six class or better.

Dabo Swinney’s 2016 squad was one of those three teams that didn’t average a top 10 recruiting class yet still won a national title, along with 2003 LSU and 2010 Auburn.

Each of those teams got it done in different ways. So it's not impossible to win without top 15 classes but it's rare.

Yep I saw something like that on the Main Board. Can’t be a serious playoff contender without that level of recruiting.

No. Never. The landscape has changed so the have nots are a non factor. There are ten teams you will see regularly in the playoffs if that many.
Pretty much agree the current system has put a handful of teams light years ahead of everyone else. I could see the stars aligning and us winning the Big 12 and making playoffs ( long shot but possible). However I see almost 0 chance of anyone but about 5-6 top programs winning the whole thing for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: WV Bruno
Pretty much agree the current system has put a handful of teams light years ahead of everyone else. I could see the stars aligning and us winning the Big 12 and making playoffs ( long shot but possible). However I see almost 0 chance of anyone but about 5-6 top programs winning the whole thing for the foreseeable future.
No secret the playoff committee would love to have 2 SEC teams in the 4 team so called playoff every year.

Reactions: WV Bruno
Beat Oklahoma twice? No way.

Not saying last two seasons. Read. Comprehend. WVU has a long...proud...deep seated history of celebrating "almosts"...."could have beens" and moral victories. Until that changes WVU will continue to be cannon fodder for the big boys.

In a conference like the Big 12, Big 10, or SEC a program like WVU operating at its best will mostly have seasons at 8, +/- 2, wins. This will be with occasional ugly seasons and occasional great seasons. Maybe if the stars align on one of those great seasons, like they did in 2007, WVU can not choke and actually compete for a title. But becoming a team that makes the top 4 year every 3-5 years is a pipe dream. Biggest problem will be retaining a coach since those big names will poach even a semi-competent coach from a program like WVU.

Never say never. I remember you were quite pessimistic when DickRod first came here.

Yes, but only if undefeated. No, otherwise. Of course, the CFP may be expanded to eight teams in a few years, which would make it a lot easier to earn a bid.
A few years? Hell it should have been done years ago - four just plain sucks. Only reason we have it is because TV assholes want college football down to four conferences. All P-5 conference champions and three others.

Reactions: Rootmaster
With the wide Zone teams are running today teams even need to be able to move in space quick on the OLine.

If WVU can establish themselves at key positions they can.
They have to build up the ability to recruit at a higher level

Like the fact that Neal Brown wants it to be up front
OLine and DLine.

When teams open up their line like that the DL have to take advantage.

Why OU goes small.

But if you can get guys who are big it helps

Teams can always run at you if they can push you off the ball

It could happen but a LOT of things would have to fall into place for it to happen ala 2007.

Football always comes down to the Jimmys and Joes and we don't recruit with the Texas' and Oklahomas'. So, we'd need to have a year with a lot of upperclassmen starters to go along with them having rebuilding years as maturity is about the only thing that can offset talent.

We'd have to go undefeated in conference to go along with at least one, maybe two solid nonconference wins. Any loss would have to come very early in the season and it would have to be to another conference winner and/or playoff contender in a tight contest.

That's good enough for now...

ADVERTISEMENT