ADVERTISEMENT

Will Spavital/Holgorsen use varying tempos this season?

5-Technique

Junior
May 14, 2018
Johnny Ola's house
I wonder how much thought has taken place regarding varying tempos throughout the games this year? Certainly every coach tries to run clock in the 4th when protecting a lead but it would be nice to see some other small adjustments as well. Examples of this might be making sure we take the game clock all the way down to 0 (or as close as possible) before halftime and calling a running play when there is less than 20 seconds to go on the clock in the first and/or third quarters to ensure that the quarter ends and we get that extra timeout. Switching ends and getting an extra breather between the 1st and 2nd/3rd and 4th quarters just seems like a no brainer to me and until we see what the defense has this year, it may be more necessary than we think to change tempo. I think rest between possessions could be a real X-factor in keeping the defense from being exposed this season and we've all heard that the offense wants to utilize a tight end this year so maybe it will be to run block as much as be a pass catcher? Just some thoughts.

Reactions: eerdoc
Good question and point. I liked Dana's play calling the past two seasons he was calling the plays. He slowed things down and we played much better. Last year under Jake we had way too many of those fast 3 and outs.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Well the too many three and outs may have something to do with poor line play as well.

No doubt about that. The run blocking was horrible. Pass blocking was not much better.

I would like to see Spavital bring in TE for participation other than blocking. A quick offense to multiple receivers in short inside routes. Throw deep only when the safeties come up to cover and not when they are in a 2 deep. We have 3 and outs due to throwing 3 bombs and punting. Mix it up a little.

Play-calling is very easy when you have a lot of talent on the field, but very difficult when you don't.

Well the too many three and outs may have something to do with poor line play as well.

I would never try to defend our O-line play last year...however, Spav watched them every day in practice, yet he stubbornly continued to call for tempo and play that our line was incapable of blocking for...if anybody on the team should know the O-line weaknesses it's Spav...seems fairly elementary not to call plays we can't block

Reactions: Rootmaster and Phil
ADVERTISEMENT