ADVERTISEMENT

šŸ”„šŸ”„BREAKINGšŸ”„šŸ”„ Will Grier to return to WVU

1Grier to Return for Senior Season
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. ā€“ (December 14, 2017) ā€“
West Virginia University junior quarterback Will Grier has announced that he will return for his senior season in 2018.

ā€œAfter much prayer and consultation with my family and coaches, I have decided to return to WVU for my senior season,ā€ Grier said. ā€œThere is still a great deal that I want this team to accomplish and I look forward to helping lead us to success in 2018. I am completely focused and looking forward to building off the success we had this year and want to do even greater things next year. West Virginia is my home, and I couldnā€™t be more excited about the future here.ā€

Grier, who will graduate tomorrow with a degree in multidisciplinary studies, was the 2017 Big 12 Newcomer of the Year as selected by the league coaches, ESPN.com and the Associated Press. He has started 11 games this season, completing 250-of-388 passes for 3,490 yards and 34 touchdowns. He has thrown for 300 or more yards in nine games and has had multiple touchdown passes in 10 games. He sustained a hand injury against Texas that forced him to miss the remainder of the regular season.

In his first season at West Virginia, his top performances were 375 yards and five touchdowns at Baylor, 372 yards and four touchdowns at Kansas State and 371 yards and three touchdowns against Virginia Tech.

ā€œWillā€™s decision to return next year certainly makes it a great day for West Virginia football,ā€ WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen said. ā€œHe is a great leader for our program, and I know our fans enjoy watching his talents on the football field. His teammates and the coaching staff are certainly looking forward to his return, and this is positive news for all involved.ā€

Grier, who already is tied for No. 9 in school history in touchdown passes, was named a second-team All-Big 12 Conference performer by ProFootballFocus, a Davey Oā€™Brien Award semifinalist and the leagueā€™s newcomer of the week five times. He was the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week on Oct. 16 and was the Manning Award National Quarterback of the Week two times.

Nationally, Grier ranks No. 7 in passing touchdowns and pass efficiency, No. 8 in passing yards per game, No. 9 in points responsible for per game and yards per pass attempt, No. 10 in total offense, No. 11 in points responsible for, No. 13 in completions per game, No. 15 in passing yards, No. 16 in passing yards per completion and No. 20 in completion percentage.

He also ranks among the top three in the Big 12 statistics in passing touchdowns, total offense, passing yards per game, passing efficiency, completions per game, points responsible for, points responsible for per game and yards per pass attempt.

In the West Virginia single-season record book, Grier ranks No. 2 in passing touchdowns, is tied for No. 2 in touchdowns responsible for and is No. 5 in total offense and completions. He is No. 3 in junior passing and total offense.

Told you all. He knows he wasn't going to a high pick..maybe 4th round...maybe. It will greatly benefit him and WVU to have him back. So many on this board thought he was gone pro after this year.

Maybe we can have an offense for him and not throw the 50/50 balls so much next year!

He got 2nd and 3rd round grades

Regardless of his grade from whoever gave it, his playing size sample is way too small, he had a concerning injury, and he would be coming out in a year where he will be jockeying for position against Darnold, Rosen, Rudolph, and Mayfield. Additionally Lamar Jackson and the kid from Wyoming will command a lot of attention. He will live and die by his combine and thats not how you want to go into a draft where a bad day can cost you millions.

If he comes back, crushes the 2018 season, wins a Heisman and National Championship (we can dream right?) and has 2 years of top level collegiate play under his belt along with a complete season without injury, teams will be much more comfortable spending a first rounder on him.

Last edited:
Reactions: lenny4wvu
Told you all. He knows he wasn't going to a high pick..maybe 4th round...maybe. It will greatly benefit him and WVU to have him back. So many on this board thought he was gone pro after this year.

Maybe we can have an offense for him and not throw the 50/50 balls so much next year!
Lol told you all. He got 2nd and 3rd round grades before a pro day. Eat one.

We will see you in your home town to take on the Vols in Charlotte!
I imagine tickets will not be cheap for that one. I will likely take the AMTrack to Charlotte from Raleigh.
Good times ahead my friends. Tis a rare and beautiful thing to get to see WVU play in NC twice in one season.

Lol told you all. He got 2nd and 3rd round grades before a pro day. Eat one.

LOL...real mature there.

Grades don't mean anything. I guess everyone always gets drafted where they get graded? He would not have gone on the 1st 3 rounds no matter what. He got hurt and our OC could only call 50/50 balls for him because our receivers couldn't get open on regular routes.

I think he will be a pro QB. A starter...definitely has to improve. Next year should let us all know how that will play out.

I'm glad he is back. It was definetly the right move for him.

believe-me-its-yuge.jpg

Reactions: lenny4wvu
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT