ADVERTISEMENT

Why not pay coach for each victory ONLY?

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
No wonder WVU athletic director Shane Lyons was fired.

He gave Neal Brown this deal:

His 2025-26 salaries are $4.2 and $4.4 million. On Dec. 31, 2024, WVU would owe him the final day of his 2024 salary plus $8.6 million.

Insane!

My proposal:

Nick Saban got $11.7 million for the 2022 season, the highest paid coach in America.

Instead of throwing money at a coach and hoping they win (and, historically, leave for greener pastures), why not sign a performance contract that’s in effect as long as WVU and the coach want to remain together?

$500,000 for each regular season victory. Go 12-0 and you get $6 million, which would have made you the 14th highest paid coach in America in 2022 season.

Be a bad coach like Neal Brown you get $3 million for 6 wins instead of the $4.2 million in your current contract no matter how bad you are.

Toss in $1 million for a bowl victory over a Top 10 team and $10 million for a national title (which you will never have to pay).

No buyout if coach is fired or leaves for greener pastures, as they always have at WVU (Neyland had his bags packed for Ohio State till they gave the job to someone else). Rich, Carlen, Bowden all left no matter who much they were being paid.

If a coach terminates the contract by going elsewhere, then announce the same deal and that WVU will interview coaches who agree in advance to that same contract. If a coach thinks he's good enough he'll jump at chance to be top 20 in pay in America. If he doesn't think he's good enough then why should WVU think he's worth hiring?

Businesses reward for performances which encourages better performances. Why not college football?

Have you posted this yet on tos...CFE /Tallmadgeer/Longtimeeer/Oldgeezer etc? Now where have I seen this before? Hummmm.

His 2025-26 salaries are $4.2 and $4.4 million. On Dec. 31, 2024, WVU would owe him the final day of his 2024 salary plus $8.6 million.

Insane!

My proposal:

Nick Saban got $11.7 million for the 2022 season, the highest paid coach in America.

Instead of throwing money at a coach and hoping they win (and, historically, leave for greener pastures), why not sign a performance contract that’s in effect as long as WVU and the coach want to remain together?

$500,000 for each regular season victory. Go 12-0 and you get $6 million, which would have made you the 14th highest paid coach in America in 2022 season.

Be a bad coach like Neal Brown you get $3 million for 6 wins instead of the $4.2 million in your current contract no matter how bad you are.

Toss in $1 million for a bowl victory over a Top 10 team and $10 million for a national title (which you will never have to pay).

No buyout if coach is fired or leaves for greener pastures, as they always have at WVU (Neyland had his bags packed for Ohio State till they gave the job to someone else). Rich, Carlen, Bowden all left no matter who much they were being paid.

If a coach terminates the contract by going elsewhere, then announce the same deal and that WVU will interview coaches who agree in advance to that same contract. If a coach thinks he's good enough he'll jump at chance to be top 20 in pay in America. If he doesn't think he's good enough then why should WVU think he's worth hiring?

Businesses reward for performances which encourages better performances. Why not college football?
Only if we pay journalists by the reporting they got right.

Have you posted this yet on tos...CFE /Tallmadgeer/Longtimeeer/Oldgeezer etc? Now where have I seen this before? Hummmm.
I hope you are not referring to me I don't post the garbage that this fake Pulitzer prize sports writer adheres too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster

Insane!

My proposal:

Why not pay the players for stats? Don't produce don't get paid.

You're just a little too slow mentally to be here.

Don Nehlen never got an interview for Ohio State.

Incentive based salaries seems like a better option in every industry these days.

As far as the refs, I sit with a comment Huggs made a long time ago. They should have to have press conferences after every game as well.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Only if we pay journalists by the reporting they got right.

Journalists, at least in my dinosaur days, got it right pretty often. Reporters were quizzed by reports like me when they turned in their school. They had to satisfy the editors that they knew what they were writing about before it went to print. Reporters knew that so they fact-checked like crazy before they submitted their stories. I've seen reporters crying when editors caught them writing not factual stuff, which didn't get printed, of course.

I hope you are not referring to me I don't post the garbage that this fake Pulitzer prize sports writer adheres too.

Never said I won a Pulitzer, only that I worked at the Akron Beacon Journal while it won 4 Pulitzers. I did handle day-to-day operations for the guy borrowed as head of our State Desk crew while Pat won a Pulitzer for the murder of Kent State students by the National Guard in 1970. By the way, 6 newspapers paid me a combined 7 figure $$$ for my 42 years in journalism. Financed my travels to 56 countries and 44 states, too. I cry all the way to bank when people say mean things about me that are so far from the truth.

Never said I won a Pulitzer, only that I worked at the Akron Beacon Journal while it won 4 Pulitzers. I did handle day-to-day operations for the guy borrowed as head of our State Desk crew while Pat won a Pulitzer for the murder of Kent State students by the National Guard in 1970. By the way, 6 newspapers paid me a combined 7 figure $$$ for my 42 years in journalism. Financed my travels to 56 countries and 44 states, too. I cry all the way to bank when people say mean things about me that are so far from the truth.
Actually you have said YOU won Pulitzers...about the same time you bragged that you golfed up to 36 holes a day...never missed a Mountaineer game...accumulated millions of dollars in assets...enjoyed winters in Florida in a house a woman friend bought you...traveled the world continually... were friends and mentors to all the icons of wv sportswriters...voted for Biden...and on and on and on....and you did it now again! What a tool.

The one truth we know about you is you've mastered the ability to plagiarize.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Because you would never hire a decent coach under those terms.
Now, you might be able to offer something like a $3.5M base salary with a $250,000 bonus for each win, and another $1M for a 10 win season.

The 7 figures you claim you accumulated was that in pesos?

The 7 figures you claim you accumulated was that in pesos?

IN $$$ WHICH WOULD BE ABOUT $3 MILLION IN TODAY'S BUYING POWER. HOW ELSE DO YOU THINK A COAL MINER'S SON COULD AFFORD TO TRAVEL TO 56 COUNTRIES, 44 STATES AND SPEND MORE THAN 30 WINTERS IN FLORIDA OF UP TO 4 MONTHS EACH TIME? YOU'RE NOT VERY PROFICIENT IN MATH.

IN $$$ WHICH WOULD BE ABOUT $3 MILLION IN TODAY'S BUYING POWER. HOW ELSE DO YOU THINK A COAL MINER'S SON COULD AFFORD TO TRAVEL TO 56 COUNTRIES, 44 STATES AND SPEND MORE THAN 30 WINTERS IN FLORIDA OF UP TO 4 MONTHS EACH TIME? YOU'RE NOT VERY PROFICIENT IN MATH.
You're not very proficient in journalism either....Tallmadgeer...Longtimeer etc

Two types of people brag about their wealth on the internet. Liars and honest, low-brow, trashy assholes.

Two types of people brag about their wealth on the internet. Liars and honest, low-brow, trashy assholes.
And a third type...those who are desperate to be seen as important. Where do you think our resident fake, CFE, fits in?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT