ADVERTISEMENT

Why is Chugunov not ready?

Dec 27, 2017
I support any head coach. Wasn’t thrilled with the Bill Stewart hire, but wanted Bill to crush it. I was pumped about the Dana hire, still a huge Dana supporter, but Chugz is nowhere being ready. If Will doesn’t get eligible, we win 3? 4?

What happened to the days of bringing in a Jarret Brown to face a tough highly ranked Rutgers team to win in Morgantown? When did Bowl games become a aggravation instead of a opportunity? What happened to the blue collar fight and drive? Strength and conditioning is the weakest it has ever been (miss tackles on the regular), every high recruit flakes out, players don’t develop, we try and out playmake opponents.

Still will support the team no matter what. The development at WVU is atrocious.

I support any head coach. Wasn’t thrilled with the Bill Stewart hire, but wanted Bill to crush it. I was pumped about the Dana hire, still a huge Dana supporter, but Chugz is nowhere being ready. If Will doesn’t get eligible, we win 3? 4?

What happened to the days of bringing in a Jarret Brown to face a tough highly ranked Rutgers team to win in Morgantown? When did Bowl games become a aggravation instead of a opportunity? What happened to the blue collar fight and drive? Strength and conditioning is the weakest it has ever been (miss tackles on the regular), every high recruit flakes out, players don’t develop, we try and out playmake opponents.

Still will support the team no matter what. The development at WVU is atrocious.
It's hard to understand why they've had so much trouble developing QBs but the easiest explanation is they're not recruiting on the level they need to be. I can't figure out if it's impatience or simply bad evaluations.

It's hard to understand why they've had so much trouble developing QBs but the easiest explanation is they're not recruiting on the level they need to be. I can't figure out if it's impatience or simply bad evaluations.
It’s sad we pay a coach money like that to recruit QBs that couldn’t even play at Fairmont State. What in the world Holgs is seeing is puzzling to all of us.

Reactions: LAMountaineer
Hate posts that call our players out on the carpet like this. That said, the comment about the strength and conditioning couldn’t appear more true. Every year we hear about how great the S&C staff is but every year our players continue to get pushed around. I’m also curious if the fall of our production from the online might have been due to running Crook off and going with Wickline. Curious staff decisions over the last 7-8 years, and history would suggest, more to come

Reactions: LAMountaineer
Also would like to add that I don’t know that I’ve ever watched a team, all season long, stuck with 3rd and long conditions. Grier or Chugs, the coaching staff didn’t put either in position to succeed. I’d really like to see what percentage our season down and distance was for 3rd down.

West Virginia Mountaineers
4th BIG12 FBS | 7-6
  • Passing Yards
    25th
    324.8 PYPG
  • Rushing Yards
    131st
    160.3 RYPG
  • Total Yards Per Game
    22nd
    485.1 YPG

The problem is the o line we were 131st in rushing, setting up long 3rd downs

Not calling Chugz out intentionally, but how much is it his fault for being that unprepared?

Our S&C coach needs a hard evaluation. O-line man handled consistently, and the poor tackling...my lord the missed tackles, D-line struggled as well.

Laziness

I know you like to post a lot of sarcasm but laziness wouldn't explain the issues. In the beginning it appeared they thought they could turn any QB into a big timer because of the system. That was the case for some schools running similar systems but it hasn't worked at WVU. Well the passing numbers are there but not scores and wins.

OK, it's time to quit throwing down on the young Chugs! Enough is enough. He may not have been ready for prime time but hail.................Holgs ain't either! To continue, the entire team wasn't ready for Utah. Save up your cash and contribute to a buyout that rids the Mountaineers of the present coaching staff. Now, get ready for a wild ride going forward in the world of spectator sports! Warez

I know you like to post a lot of sarcasm but laziness wouldn't explain the issues. In the beginning it appeared they thought they could turn any QB into a big timer because of the system. That was the case for some schools running similar systems but it hasn't worked at WVU. Well the passing numbers are there but not scores and wins.

There's a lot to developing a QB. Lot of work.

It’s a great question. An even better question should be, “Since you knew he wasn’t ready,why wasn’t someone else ready”. Amazingly, they left him in for the whole game.

I just don’t get it. It makes no sense to send a young man into battle like that. Not right for the kid, and not right for WVU.

It’s a great question. An even better question should be, “Since you knew he wasn’t ready,why wasn’t someone else ready”. Amazingly, they left him in for the whole game.

I just don’t get it. It makes no sense to send a young man into battle like that. Not right for the kid, and not right for WVU.

And maybe that is where I missed the boat. I completely understand letting a kid go out and play a ball game that is meaningless. Let’s face it, the playoffs pretty much make all bowl games meaningless unless you get hooked up with a Rival.

I expected a lot more. Understood Clint’s issue coming in late and having to learn the system. His second year was night and day. I guess you could say the same thing for Skyler.

Chuggs Could possibly be the same person as well. But it doesn’t appear that way and I’m a little unsure about West Virginia turning into transfer U. Yes Bill Stewart put us in a bad situation and change in conferences was tough, but we are at year seven now. And we still need any and all transfers that we can get our hands on.

But it’s my personal problem that I have to get over. I don’t like our attitude anymore. However next year looks promising.

Wasn’t Crest a 4 star recruit? Sometimes guys just don’t have what it takes to be a D1 player.

Chugunov has been here for 3-years, and despite his best efforts, he’s was unable to perform at the level the fans and coaches expected.

There's a lot to developing a QB. Lot of work.

Paperboy....................just like you...............I have developed quite a number of QB's. Having been one of the greatest QB's of all time........I know that not all ability comes natural like it did for us. We just have to be patient and keep paying Holgs til he gets it together. Warez

Paperboy....................just like you...............I have developed quite a number of QB's. Having been one of the greatest QB's of all time........I know that not all ability comes natural like it did for us. We just have to be patient and keep paying Holgs til he gets it together. Warez

goofball, google developing a qb. you don't have to be a qb coach to know it's a lot of hard work.

goofball, google developing a qb. you don't have to be a qb coach to know it's a lot of hard work.

Why you go and call me a goofball? I get it. You already Googled developing a QB and learned that you don't have to be a QB coach to know it's a lot of hard work. Thanks for the tip. I'll Google it right now. Warez

No way we haven't recruited a player with talent on par with Brad Lewis. Yet I'd take him over any QB Dana has recruited and tried to develop. It's obvious that at the QB position development is lacking.

Agree. If you don’t think our strength and conditioning is down, just look at tcu and ok State. Their size speed is noticeably better. Look at their DL and LB and how much biggger and stronger they look than our guys.
As for qbs, there’s a limit to what you can develop when you haven’t brought in someone with enough ability. Skyler is an example of holgorsen developing a qb. But
Others, we haven’t - my guess is because they simply didn’t have the ability to play at this level. Justin Jackson stepped in for VT as a freshman and beat us. Brewer came off the bench for Baylor and almost beat us.
I think Allison has the ability. As does Trey Lowe. I think Saunders did. Saunders was probably the number 2 for this year but had to give up fb

Hate posts that call our players out on the carpet like this. That said, the comment about the strength and conditioning couldn’t appear more true. Every year we hear about how great the S&C staff is but every year our players continue to get pushed around. I’m also curious if the fall of our production from the online might have been due to running Crook off and going with Wickline. Curious staff decisions over the last 7-8 years, and history would suggest, more to come

The QB situation speaks for itself, but the bowl game was as soft (on both sides of the ball) as I’ve seen this team in a long time. Throw in the continued attrocias tackling and it was without a doubt one of the worst performances witnessed in quite sometime. Hard pressed to remember a team this inept at the basic fundamentals of tackling. Very disappointing Grand Finale for the year.

Last edited:
This season not withstanding, when was the last time we had a kid coming off the bench we as fans thought had at least a marginal chance to maintain any form of offense if our starter went down ?? I know most everyone was insanely overheated with Crest....that is, before he took some actual snaps.......but I honestly can't remember the last one.

Somebody help me out......

This season not withstanding, when was the last time we had a kid coming off the bench we as fans thought had at least a marginal chance to maintain any form of offense if our starter went down ?? I know most everyone was insanely overheated with Crest....that is, before he took some actual snaps.......but I honestly can't remember the last one.

Somebody help me out......

Pat White!

My guess is he could see the writing on the wall that he wasn't going to be a starter and just put his effort into school and future plans for Med .School (wise choice actually). Holgs doesn't seem to put much effort into backup QBs, so why should they be motivated? It's all good until the starter goes down, then it bites us in the butt. I don't blame Chugs at all, he did his best under the circumstances.

Lack of toughness is a real problem with Holgs teams. It shouldn't be acceptable to play two hand touch on defense, or not to block on offense. That was never a problem with Nehlen or Rich Rod. We are recruiting better athletes now, but not teaching them anything. They need to bring Huggins over to teach them how to play hard all the time.

Chugz was ready! But, the Utes as a team were ready and waiting on the ill-prepared Mountaineer team. The blame lies on Utah. They over prepared and it ain't fair! The Utes and their coaches should be reprimanded by the NCAA! Warez

Last edited:
Reactions: LHANDSDC
Wasn’t Crest a 4 star recruit? Sometimes guys just don’t have what it takes to be a D1 player.

Chugunov has been here for 3-years, and despite his best efforts, he’s was unable to perform at the level the fans and coaches expected.
Mentioning Crest makes me almost wonder, at this point, if Dana even has the ability to really judge QB talent. If you look at the history of high school talent that we brought on board and their on field production.

Edit: I don’t mean this as a slight to Crest, I wonder if he rode the pine unnecessarily. Yeah he threw a backwards pass, but couldn’t he or Sills even pose a more dangerous threat with the Wildcat package?

Why is Chugunov not ready? Because our head coach was not ready to become a head coach. It’s that simple.

Reactions: LHANDSDC

Why did Chugs not prepare himself by working on timing with his receivers? But I agree we need a new strength coach. Other Big 12 teams have play making abilities but are also strong and can push anyone around.

Mentioning Crest makes me almost wonder, at this point, if Dana even has the ability to really judge QB talent. If you look at the history of high school talent that we brought on board and their on field production.

Edit: I don’t mean this as a slight to Crest, I wonder if he rode the pine unnecessarily. Yeah he threw a backwards pass, but couldn’t he or Sills even pose a more dangerous threat with the Wildcat package?

Chugunov had plenty of time to get ready for this game he just lacks the physical, mental ability to play QB at this level. Chugunov more than likely won’t be playing football here by next August. He will get bachelors degree and move on with life.

With Grier returning and Lowe coming in this spring along with Allison and Israel we won’t have room to keep Chugunov around wasting a scholarship as a 5th string 4th year player.

Maybe Dana thinks that anybody can get ready for football by drinking a few cans of Red Bull. He is not mentally tough enough to face life without his drug of choice. His sideline demeanor looks like every game is the worst day of his life. He needs an intervention, or a less stressful job.

And who do you suggest we would use as a replacement at this, rather meaningless, bowl game? Who? Israel? and blow his entire year of red shirt? Run all ' wildcat', which did not really work well when www did try using it with a person who had very little game experience doing so. Use Sills who was shown to be a far better receiver than qB at more than one venue? Who is there but Chugs?
Answers containing the word "...someone..." are inadequate and vividly exposes the inner thinking---find a way to blame anything we can on the staff. I would hope that adults are better at evaluating situations and circumstances and coming to a more rational conclusion than I see so often expressed by, so called, fans.

First,I support Dana. I am not one of the haters.

I also reserve the right to constructively criticize. A P5 program should have more weapons at its disposal than one ill-prepared back-up. No business operates this way, and the the “lesser of two evils” thinking that put us in that predicament must change.

I really don't think that it had anything to do with being prepared. I just think that he isn't at the level that a D1 QB needs to be at. To me, that is indeed and unfortunately on the coaching staff for not recruiting a replacement in the offseason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT