ADVERTISEMENT

Why I am nonplusses by the WVU offense, one of the best in the land

Just pointing out an example of the flak that was getting thrown when posters like me were saying the awful 2.5 quarters at TTU and the entire KU game were concerning for the future. Apparently we were wrong because it was the defense's fault. And don't get me wrong, the defense has not played well. However, I stupidly thought the high powered offense that is supposed to be the strength of this team should be held more accountable for how vastly it underperformed.
It’s hard to judge watching a game on TV but it doesn’t look like a scheme issue but an effort issue. The offense seems to lack urgency. A team with better talent usually regroups after a couple of bad series or a bad quarter and comes out with a renewed sense of urgency. Not this offense. A bad series is followed by a worse series, a bad quarter by a worse quarter. I hate to say it but it looks like no heart.

It’s hard to judge watching a game on TV but it doesn’t look like a scheme issue but an effort issue. The offense seems to lack urgency. A team with better talent usually regroups after a couple of bad series or a bad quarter and comes out with a renewed sense of urgency. Not this offense. A bad series is followed by a worse series, a bad quarter by a worse quarter. I hate to say it but it looks like no heart.

There definitely is a lack of effort. When smacked in the mouth and things were not going well, there did not seem to be any fight in them. I do think WVU kept running deep routes into the cover 3 which was not resulting in any open receivers. I'd say the lack of effort and folding when hitting adversity is also on the coaching staff given this is a pattern we've seen before with WVU teams losing games they shouldn't. Seems Dana can only deliver a decent win when WVU is the underdog without any pressure to win like the games against Clemson, 2013 OSU, or 2014 Baylor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT