ADVERTISEMENT

Why I am nonplusses by the WVU offense, one of the best in the land

Cuyahoga Falls Eers

All-American
May 29, 2001
For those who were unhappy with the WVU defense in the 2nd half when Texas Tech made its comeback after being down by 25 points:

After facing 36 TT offensive snaps in the first half, the WVU defense had to endure 55 snaps in the 2nd half. That’s 53% more plays to be on the field!

4 WVU defenders left the field after being shaken up and lost playing time.

The fresh WVU defense in the first half allowed only 15 plays on the first four Texas Tech possessions. A tiring WVU defense in the 2nd half allowed drives of 11, 12 and 9 plays for 17 points. That’s most twice as many TT plays as in the first four drives of the first half.

That’s on the WVU offense, which got off the field way too often and way too quickly, subjecting the WVU defense to a quicksand of exhaustion.

Both sides of the ball owe it to the other side to help their teammates by holding up their end of the bargain. The WVU offense, by taking the 2nd half off while patting itself on the back for the first half blowout, did the WVU defense a great disservice.

Keith Washington outscored the WVU offense in the second half. The WVU offense scored NO points in the second half. For one of the 3 best offenses in the country, that cannot be allowed to happen again.

This team is capable of winning the Big 12. But it has to do it on the field. The offense was a great, great disappointment in the second half after being a fantastic performer in the first half.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A nnihilate Kansas

I ncinerate Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

Oh here we go again, the Pitt graduate wearing a tin hate over someone on Dana's staff being from WV. At least you are consistent.

Any time our defense surrenders a ton of yards to an inferior opponent, this thread pops up...

"Gibson is our best OC ever, and it's the offense's fault for not continuing complete domination........... not the defense for never stopping opponents after adjustments are made"

Here's the cold, hard truth......................... a 3rd string QB who couldn't beat out a true freshman at TTU made WVU's defense look foolish at times.

Folks can try to blame the offense for that all they want, it won't work

a QB whose next best offer outside of TTU (who signed him as an 'athlete') was Air Force.

The offense did what they were supposed to do....... They built an insurmountable lead and then they shut it down, as to avoid producing any further video tape for future opponents....

Spav is playing chess, not checkers.

At best WV can reach the limits of Oregon and Chip Kelly

Even then that team was not complete and had way more talent.

Complete football teams are teams that can play in any circumstance.

WV can't score on every drive no matter how great you think the O is.
They go through phases.
Even the best NFL WRs drop passes.

Any time our defense surrenders a ton of yards to an inferior opponent, this thread pops up...

"Gibson is our best OC ever, and it's the offense's fault for not continuing complete domination........... not the defense for never stopping opponents after adjustments are made"

Here's the cold, hard truth......................... a 3rd string QB who couldn't beat out a true freshman at TTU made WVU's defense look foolish at times.

Folks can try to blame the offense for that all they want, it won't work

a QB whose next best offer outside of TTU (who signed him as an 'athlete') was Air Force.

So, it makes NO difference that the defense was subjected to being on the field 1 1/2 to twice as much in the 2nd half and it was during the 1st half? I KNOW you are more intelligent than that. Every intelligent, knowledgeable observer saw how gassed the WVU defense got because the offense, which scored NO points in the 2nd half, put the defense through the rigors of being on the field 1 1/2 to 2 times more than it should have been.

So you would say that climbing a mountain 7 times without a break is just as easy as climbing that same mountain only once? Really? Give me a break. Sometimes people let their antipathy toward a poster or a team get in the way of their brain functioning properly.

The near collapse and losing a 25-point lead was on the offense. Hell, every damn expert in the country said it. Including me. And you choose to ignore it because you are a contrarian when I post? If I said up, you would say down. If I said blue and gold you would saw Ketchup Field. There goes your credibility.

Meanwhile, those of us who see things for what they are, not what we want them to be, are gearing up for Kansas, Iowa State and Baylor before the November From Hell of Texas, TCU, Oklahoma State and Oklahoma (and maybe the Big 12 title game against 1 of those 4 teams).

We're loving it! WVU football is the greatest bargain in the world for me. Too bad some people have to be The Grinch. I feel SOOOOO sorry for them, to quote the guy who yelled that out in the old WVU Fieldhouse during my undergraduate days. Anyone know his name? He had a booming voice and would shout, "Hey, Syracuse (or the name of the team playing against WVU), I feel sorry for you!" And the crowd would go crazy. I loved that guy!

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A nnihilate Kansas

I ncinerate Iowa State

N ail Baylor

E rectile dysfunction Texas

E lectrify TCU

R eam Oklahoma State

S laughter Oklahoma

meanwhile, some teams barely squeak out wins over trash KSU

Too bad Texas controlled the entire game.
Only needed two offensive drives to win the game.
A TD early and then a 7 minute drive to end the game....

WV played with KState most of the first half and a 4 down stop was the defining moment

apology tour.... that's all this thread is

"the offense was too good in the 1st half...... and it made the defense have to play well. Not fair"

WV played with KState most of the first half and a 4 down stop was the defining moment

Maryland.

Maryland. Maryland. Maryland.

Nothing else needs said.

Maryland. Maryland. Maryland.

It appears that Texas Tech was 2/7 on third down in the First Half, and 5/10 on third down in the Second Half. Further, the Red Raiders were 1/1 in the First Half, and 2/2 in the Second Half on fourth down. Therefore, WVU's defense had a much harder time getting off of the field in the Second Half than it had in the First Half.

That third stringer threw a perfect pass in the 4th Quarter...he hit the dude right in the hands...but that dude was Keith Washington.

That third stringer threw a perfect pass in the 4th Quarter...he hit the dude right in the hands...but that dude was Keith Washington.

Keith got a gift from God on that one...... QB was in a great pocket with no pressure and just gave it up.

It is a shame WVU was not as dominant against K-state as UT was. 35-6 is no where as good as that dominating 19-14 Texas beat down. I can not wait to see what you have to say after the OU game. Perhaps Herman wants to throw the game like he did against Maryland so as to motivate his team for next season.

It is a shame WVU was not as dominant against K-state as UT was. 35-6 is no where as good as that dominating 19-14 Texas beat down. I can not wait to see what you have to say after the OU game. Perhaps Herman wants to throw the game like he did against Maryland so as to motivate his team for next season.

Maybe once WV wins the Big XII a few times then they will know what other teams feel like walking into Manhattan with a target on their chest

Mayfield had to lead his team late in the game against KSTate in Manhattan last year

Teams play their A game against Texas every week.

Last edited:
Maybe once WV wins the Big XII a few times then they will know what other teams feel like walking into Manhattan with a target on their chest

Mayfield had to lead his team late in the game against KSTate in Manhattan last year

Well your delusion has not waned.

The offense did what they were supposed to do....... They built an insurmountable lead and then they shut it down, as to avoid producing any further video tape for future opponents....

Spav is playing chess, not checkers.

You seriously believe this bullsh*t? You are wasting the best case for your usual defense against coaching criticism by blaming player execution. The offense was poor secondary to dropped passes, over throws by Grier, and missed blocking assignments by the O-line. The defense is not complete garbage, but should shoulder the blame for letting a scrub QB dance on them. However, the offense is supposed to be the strength of this team and does not get a pass for 1 score in 3 quarters against a weak defense.

Like I said when you are up 35-10 you tell the big boys up front it is time to eat.

Then you put your foot on the opponents' neck.

What you don't do is stay uptempo and throw the ball around.

Even a 8 play drive to the 50 is a good thing if it takes 4-5 minutes off the clock.

Then you punt and put the other team inside the 15.
You have a rested defense

Even the All American D would be tired and look like crap if they were stuck on the field

Keatoncorner has the Football IQ of a 9 year old girl

Reactions: Rootmaster
Name the best statistical defense Gibson has produced.

Name the best statistical offense Spav has produced.

Hell name Dana's if you want

Now who is the underachiever again??

At best WV can reach the limits of Oregon and Chip Kelly

Even then that team was not complete and had way more talent.

Complete football teams are teams that can play in any circumstance.

WV can't score on every drive no matter how great you think the O is.
They go through phases.
Even the best NFL WRs drop passes.
At best Texas can tie the series at 4-4

So how about you go eat a bag of dicks

At best Texas can tie the series at 4-4

So how about you go eat a bag of dicks

I actually think WV could present Texas a challenge if they go back to playing Don Nehlen football.

Because they can get great OL out of Western PA and Ohio. Plus skill guys and DL out of Maryland and Virginia.

Don't think DH's style will beat great Texas teams
His Achilles heel is a strength for Texas.

I actually think WV could present Texas a challenge if they go back to playing Don Nehlen football.

Because they can get great OL out of Western PA and Ohio. Plus skill guys and DL out of Maryland and Virginia.

Don't think DH's style will beat great Texas teams
His Achilles heel is a strength for Texas.

I actually think Texass could present a challenge to WVU if .....phhhhht..... they ain't no challenge. Easy win... book it.

Like I said when you are up 35-10 you tell the big boys up front it is time to eat.

Then you put your foot on the opponents' neck.

What you don't do is stay uptempo and throw the ball around.

Even a 8 play drive to the 50 is a good thing if it takes 4-5 minutes off the clock.

Then you punt and put the other team inside the 15.
You have a rested defense

Even the All American D would be tired and look like crap if they were stuck on the field

Keatoncorner has the Football IQ of a 9 year old girl

How the world would you know? Texass hasn't been up on anyone 35-10 in your lifetime. Someone tell you these things?

You think if Texas or Oklahoma walked into Lubbock as a Top 15 team we would get the same treatment as you.

Your Bball team gets way more respect than you football team.

Texass hasn't walked into Lubbock as a top 15 team in years. No one can remember the treatment Texass got but I'm sure it amounted to large amounts of ridicule

No, teams just play "a" game against Texass every week.

See, at KState they knew coming into Morgantown the game was most likely lost. Maybe a good break or 3 they could come away with a victory.

However, they KNEW they could beat Texass as long as they didn't have a bad break, like a kickoff return, go against them. Nobody fears Texass....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT