ADVERTISEMENT

Who is out there coaching wise?

Buckaineer

All-Conference
Sep 3, 2001
Matt Rhule--signing 8 year deal with Nebraska
Hugh Freeze in negotiations/talks with Auburn
Luke Fickell being targeted by Wisconsin --want him next 48 hrs.

Which way can the new WVU AD go to right the WVU ship?

Another P5 coach is gone--David Shaw at Stanford resigned. One more school doing a search while WVU sways in the wind and doesn't even have an AD. Have to think the delayed AD thing was part of the plan to cover for not getting rid of Brown.

The list of potential coaches goes up significantly as the willingness to pay them real P5 money goes up. If we want another 3 mil per year coach, then that is what we will get. Another Neal, or a guy who actually succeeds but ends up taking a higher paying job somewhere else after success here. If we pony up and pay someone, not only will we be able to land a good coach, but our chances of keeping him goes up big time as well. We pay Neal 3 mil or so. Liberty, a small school, pays Hugh Freeze 5 mil. If we cant match a small school like Liberty than we dont belong in a P5 conference. WVU needs big change. I'm tired of seeing fans sell themselves, the school and the state short because WVU wont pony up. The truth is, WVU is very appealing even to coaches who dont "have ties" to WV. Excellent facilities, great people in the state of WV, a solid economy in Morgantown, and a beautiful area in northern WV full of great scenery and good living. Very nice college town. The only thing we lack is the willingness to pay the going rate for a really good coach and keep him. WVU is appealing, fur sure.

• Haha
Reactions: Jack Twist
The list of potential coaches goes up significantly as the willingness to pay them real P5 money goes up. If we want another 3 mil per year coach, then that is what we will get. Another Neal, or a guy who actually succeeds but ends up taking a higher paying job somewhere else after success here. If we pony up and pay someone, not only will we be able to land a good coach, but our chances of keeping him goes up big time as well. We pay Neal 3 mil or so. Liberty, a small school, pays Hugh Freeze 5 mil. If we cant match a small school like Liberty than we dont belong in a P5 conference. WVU needs big change. I'm tired of seeing fans sell themselves, the school and the state short because WVU wont pony up. The truth is, WVU is very appealing even to coaches who dont "have ties" to WV. Excellent facilities, great people in the state of WV, a solid economy in Morgantown, and a beautiful area in northern WV full of great scenery and good living. Very nice college town. The only thing we lack is the willingness to pay the going rate for a really good coach and keep him. WVU is appealing, fur sure.
Money isn’t our problem.

None. That is why WVU will keep Brown because the others out there are AT BEST equal to his abilities. There's not coach that could rejuvenate the program and fanbase.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Browns compensation is $4,000,000 per year according to this site:
--where he ranks as the 74th winningest coach in college football (.457 win % at WVU) with a salary the same or above coaches such as:

Pat Narduzzi -.594% @ Pitt---$4,000,000
Shane Beamer (SC) -.583%--$3,000,000-just beat Clemson at Clemson.
Scott Satterfield (Louisville) --.521% --$4,000,000
Bret Bielema (Illinois)-.565%--$4,000,000
Mike Elko (Duke)-.636%--$3,000,000

Kleiman at K State (.596) is at $4,500,000 compensation and he's taking K State to the Big 12 CCG year two.

None. That is why WVU will keep Brown because the others out there are AT BEST equal to his abilities. There's not coach that could rejuvenate the program and fanbase.
Brown is way down with a losing record and losing winning %--there are more than 70 coaches out there doing better than him. Many of those are P5 coaches and in the ballpark of his current salary at WVU.

Finding a fit that can win is the challenge, but of course WVU doesn't even have an AD or any serious candidate from what we can see--but WVU does have another bowl less year and losing football record.

Browns compensation is $4,000,000 per year according to this site:
--where he ranks as the 74th winningest coach in college football (.457 win % at WVU) with a salary the same or above coaches such as:

Pat Narduzzi -.594% @ Pitt---$4,000,000
Shane Beamer (SC) -.583%--$3,000,000-just beat Clemson at Clemson.
Scott Satterfield (Louisville) --.521% --$4,000,000
Bret Bielema (Illinois)-.565%--$4,000,000
Mike Elko (Duke)-.636%--$3,000,000

Kleiman at K State (.596) is at $4,500,000 compensation and he's taking K State to the Big 12 CCG year two.
The more we are willing to pay a HC, the better HC we can get. That's pretty much all I see that its about when coaches find success and move on to bigger jobs. They move on for more money and resources. We have just upgraded our facilities and currently they are literally top notch. No reason we cant find a really good coach to come to WVU, except money.

When we hired Neal, his credentials were legit. He was not a bad gamble, but the results have been bad. Some other schools have hit on coaches coming up the ranks, while we've missed. Sucks but its time to hit the drawing board and try again. I think Freeze would've been a great fit, but we are about to miss out on him. No doubt he wouldve come here if the numbers added up. But while we have been searching for an AD, he is about to sign with Auburn, after Kiffin didn't.

Last edited:
The more we are willing to pay a HC, the better HC we can get. That's pretty much all I see that its about when coaches find success and move on to bigger jobs. They move on for more money and resources. We have just upgraded our facilities and currently they are literally top notch. No reason we cant find a really good coach to come to WVU, except money.

When we hired Neal, his credentials were legit. He was not a bad gamble, but the results have been bad. Some other schools have hit on coaches coming up the ranks, while we've missed. Sucks but its time to hit the drawing board and try again. I think Freeze would've been a great fit, but we are about to miss out on him. No doubt he wouldve come here if the numbers added up. But while we have been searching for an AD, he is about to sign with Auburn, after Kiffin didn't.
Brown and Stewart were misses, but that's really it. The admin at WVU is terrible at evaluating talent at the coaching level for football--Brown was a big gamble as he'd never coached at the P5 level. They picked him solely for "cultural fit" it seems--which is never going to = success for WVU football.

Freeze is gone--if WVU had acted they may have secured him.

But the problem remains that WVU has a sub .500 coach and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.

Brown and Stewart were misses, but that's really it. The admin at WVU is terrible at evaluating talent at the coaching level for football--Brown was a big gamble as he'd never coached at the P5 level. They picked him solely for "cultural fit" it seems--which is never going to = success for WVU football.

But the problem remains that WVU has a sub .500 coach and that isn't likely to change anytime soon.
I'm just hoping they hire an AD soon. We wont know what's up until that happens. They arent going to fire or hire a HC until we have an AD (well maybe fire but definitely not hire). A really good AD should be able to look at Neal's record, the loss of the fan base, etc and know its time for change.

What I really hope for is an AD who understands what it takes to get and retain a good coach and bumps the salary up to, at least the 6-8 mil range to make it happen. If you want an Urban Myer, Kiffin, or some of these sexy names, which I am in no way advocating for, then 9-10mill would be the only way to even get them to listen. Money talks. There are some really good coaches out there who we could pluck from other schools if we would pay 6-8 mil.

Last edited:
Reactions: HotInEER
Guess the bigger question is: If you’re an AD do you want to come in with a lame duck coach or do you want a clean slate

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Guess the bigger question is: If you’re an AD do you want to come in with a lame duck coach or do you want a clean slate
For sure. If I were and AD, clean slate and I would go after the best coach I could get, and be willing to pay them as such. WVU is more than worthy.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Clean Slate. Plus tell him he's not getting his contract renegotiated year 2 if he's only winning 6 games.

Reactions: deedoubleyou
Scott frost. I don’t have any idea what happened to him at Nebraska but I think he’s a good coach. I’m gonna say alot of people will disagree with me though.
I agree. He is worth a look. People have a tendency to look at W/L's instead of fit. Would interview him.

Reactions: locustwv
Matt Rhule--signing 8 year deal with Nebraska
Hugh Freeze in negotiations/talks with Auburn
Luke Fickell being targeted by Wisconsin --want him next 48 hrs.

Which way can the new WVU AD go to right the WVU ship?
Dana will probably looking for a job when Houston cans him for another failed year. Maybe you should call the new AD and beg them to rehire him.

If we are looking for a gamble on a popular name, Frost is one to consider. What he did at UCF was pretty awesome. Have no idea what happened to him at Nebraska, but it was terrible. Worse than Neal here. Maybe his system just didnt fit there.

Why not just go for broke and try to get Urban Meyer. Put 9 or 10 mill on the table and see if he bites. His first HC job he came to WVU to study Rich Rods offense, and some other spread offense around the country to see theirs too. He went with more of a Rich Rod style for the most part. But the bottom line is, despite his personal issues, Urban is a great college coach. He has dominated at every school he's coached. I am predicting he ends up at Notre Dame some day, but he may not want a high profile job after everything. Never know...

Last edited:
At this point with coaches getting snapped up - if they hire an AD soon enough and the buyout money is available- elevate Harrell as interim to retain recruits and bring in some assistants until a coaching target can be landed.

The options that WVU will consider are poor. They need to negotiate a reduced buy out with Kneel.

Deion Sanders would come for the right money; fact. Forget the past; men about their business don’t let petty stuff like that limit their future. He could be a seismic shift for the program.

Reactions: WWFB

Given his background and unceremonious exit from Ole Miss, however, the SEC might have reservations about allowing him back into its coaching ranks. Alabama coach Nick Saban was reportedly interested in hiring Freeze on his staff in 2018, but indicated the league office convinced him to back off when asked about it.

SEC bylaw 19.8.1.2 requires member schools to "exercise best efforts to hire individuals committed to rules compliance." It does not, however, explicitly forbid league schools from hiring coaches with NCAA compliance baggage.

"While each member institution makes its own hiring decisions," the bylaw states, "member institutions shall, at a minimum, request specific information from each candidate concerning his/her rules compliance record and communicate with NCAA enforcement and the Conference office regarding the same prior to offering employment to any candidate."

But there's more.

"In addition," the bylaw reads, "where a member institution considers hiring an individual who has engaged in unethical conduct as defined under NCAA Bylaws or who has participated in activity that resulted, or may result, in a Level I, Level II or major infraction, the President or Chancellor of that member institution is expected to consult directly with the Commissioner prior to offering employment to the individual."

That means Auburn President Christopher B. Roberts would have to have a conversation with SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey before hiring Freeze.

Freeze has yet to be hired due to scandal while at Ole Miss. It may not occur with the bad pub coming out.Although Auburn has hire another coach with shaky past in Bruce Pearl.

Hugh Freeze apparently said there are only a few schools on the list of places he would consider leaving Liberty for. He said it would come down to the lifestyle he and his wife want, going on to say they prefer small college towns and want to live in the mountains specifically and the places he would consider would have those two qualities. Money talks though

I think Gee set the new AD up perfectly. With the buyout amount, plus finishing out the season beating OSU, there is a reason/excuse that can be used to keep Brown and make him prove his worth next season. The new AD can have the time (and it does take time) to evaluate and prepare. The new AD will already have someone (or a few) in mind to make the first call if Neal can't win them all. Once he loses more than 1 he shouldn't then we finally break free.

I think Gee set the new AD up perfectly. With the buyout amount, plus finishing out the season beating OSU, there is a reason/excuse that can be used to keep Brown and make him prove his worth next season. The new AD can have the time (and it does take time) to evaluate and prepare. The new AD will already have someone (or a few) in mind to make the first call if Neal can't win them all. Once he loses more than 1 he shouldn't then we finally break free.
I wish at the minimum we would appoint an interim coach like Harrell until we find someone. Neal has to go. We wont really know until the new AD is hired. Its really what he thinks.

After Tom Osborne, they sunk into oblivion. Could have something to do with moving conferences too. Clemson took Nebraska's place in the blue blood category.
Nebraska had already diminished in success before switching to the Big Ten. Have read that lack of a pipeline to Texas for recruiting screwed them up. They dont have a national recruiting base like tOSU or Michigan either- more regional so its as much their roster as anything. Would think switching from playing major Texas and Ok schools- Colorado when they were good and even KU when they had some football success and rivalry - and now facing Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, and such with very infrequent blowouts to Ohio State or Michigan cant help either

W
Nebraska had already diminished in success before switching to the Big Ten. Have read that lack of a pipeline to Texas for recruiting screwed them up. They dont have a national recruiting base like tOSU or Michigan either- more regional so its as much their roster as anything. Would think switching from playing major Texas and Ok schools- Colorado when they were good and even KU when they had some football success and rivalry - and now facing Iowa, Northwestern, Minnesota, and such with very infrequent blowouts to Ohio State or Michigan cant help either
Wrong again skippy light. Nebraska started slipping after they fired Bo Pelini.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
After Tom Osborne Nebraska slipped a bit under Frank Solich then declined significantly under Bill Callahan prior to joining the Big Ten and prior to Bo Pelini as well- who didnt do as well as Solich had.

Last edited:
Remember how dominant Nebraska's championship teams were in the 90s? They were smashmouth football. Pound the run with the option and play great defense. Not an exciting brand of football per say but they were insane good.

That’s just not true at all. Nebraska definitely had a national following. They are like WV in terms of population. We both have around 1.7 million people. They didn’t fill their roster with majority Nebraska kids. I’m not sure why they slipped. Maybe they lost their identity with the Southwest? Geographically they looked perfect for the Big 10. But traditionally they were a Southwestern program. Same can be said of Colorado. Politically they are a libtard ideological school that fits perfectly in the Pac12. Traditionally on the gridiron they were a southwestern program. Maybe it’s happening to WVU as we speak. WVU has lost their identity as a northeastern program.

ADVERTISEMENT