Aug 5, 2009

Neal Brown’s Buyouts By Year​

Year Salary Buyout
2022 $3,500,000 $20,200,000
2023 $4,000,000 $16,700,000
2024 $4,100,000 $12,700,000
2025 $4,200,000 $7,310,000
2026 $4,400,000 $3,740,000

There are the numbers in black and white. The school is looking at needing to raise $20 million just to get rid of Brown this year. They’ll need another 3-4 million just to buy out the coaching staff. $25M is a lot to ask of any school and a lot to ask for West Virginia, but as someone who works in contracts once told me, schools never write a contract they can’t get out of meaning if Lyons needs to get rid of Brown, he has a way. It may be painful both for him and the donors, but it can be done.

If I were running the show, I would begin putting a coaching search together.

Tony Gibson - Many big donors are pushing this name as are many fans. That's a no for me.
Jimbo Fisher - Super long shot and a no for me.
Byron Leftwhich - OC at Tampa Bay and current salary only 800,000 in NFL. Probably looking to be a HC. I don't care if he's a former Marshall guy or not. Offer 3 million.
Tommy Herman - the crying man
Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina
Shawn Clark - App State. Probably another Neal Brown. Success in Sun Belt, only been a HC 4 years now. Not ready in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many others so let's hear it.

What do you think about Curt Cignetti? I know he's doing well at JMU, but other than knowing his dad (RIP) didn't fare well at WVU many years ago, not sure what the fanbase thinks about him, other than the name bringing back bad memories of the late 70s squads.

Reactions: sammyk
That was a tough 4 years and on top of that, he was fighting cancer and playing in a stadium that was literally falling in. It was amazing the talent he recruited to WVU, but couldn’t equate it to winning on the field. Luck, Alexander, Easley, Talley, to name a few.

What do you think about Curt Cignetti? I know he's doing well at JMU, but other than knowing his dad (RIP) didn't fare well at WVU many years ago, not sure what the fanbase thinks about him, other than the name bringing back bad memories of the late 70s squads.
I would take him if he would come here.

mothman.jpg

Home State Legend
Pay Irrelevant
Will Instill Fear in all Opponents
Will Win Every Challenge by Simply Being on the Sideline

That was a tough 4 years and on top of that, he was fighting cancer and playing in a stadium that was literally falling in. It was amazing the talent he recruited to WVU, but couldn’t equate it to winning on the field. Luck, Alexander, Easley, Talley, to name a few.
Sounds a lot like Neal Brown. Except Neal doesn't have cancer.

1979 coaching staff
Head Coach- Frank Cignetti, SR.
AHC, Linebackers/Recruiting Coordinator- Donnie Young
Offensive Head Coach - Joel Hicks
Wide Receivers/Tight Ends - Gary Stevens
Quarterbacks - Joe Daniels
Offensive Line - Jack Henry
Offensive Coordinator - Dick Rader
Defensive Secondary - Nick Saban
Defensive Line - Rick Trickett
Defensive Coordinator - Gary Tranquill

Don Nehlen kept Gary Tranquill but made him OC

For me
1. Shawn Clark Happy Appy- hw would not even need to change the mascot name
2. Curt Cignetti JMU- Has some WVU ties
3. Bill O'Brien Old PSU coach- did a great job at PSU
4. Scott Frost-Many look at Nebraska but look at what he did at UCF. Nebraska was a disaster before he got there. WVU is not as bad off as Nebraska was then.
5. Jamey Chadwell Coastal Carolina - Love Mullets and there are so many WV natives in Myrtle Beach he would feel at home

For me
4. Scott Frost-Many look at Nebraska but look at what he did at UCF. Nebraska was a disaster before he got there. WVU is not as bad off as Nebraska was then.
5. Jamey Chadwell Coastal Carolina - Love Mullets and there are so many WV natives in Myrtle Beach he would feel at home
1. No - went that route, not working out
2. No - also went that route, didn't work out
3. Maybe - but can he come back and repeat it?
4. No - You can't spin it to look good in any way
5. NO - don't need any carolinian here

1. No - went that route, not working out
2. No - also went that route, didn't work out
3. Maybe - but can he come back and repeat it?
4. No - You can't spin it to look good in any way
5. NO - don't need any carolinian here
Wow that's a lot of turned up noses at guys who have won. So you are not getting a head coach to come to WVU from a power 5 school that's not going to happen. You might get an assistant from say an SEC or BIG school but they will leave as soon as they can. WVU is a good program not great if they were in the BIG they would be comparable to Indiana or Purdue maybe. They are an in the middle type of football program. You have to be real about who you could get. But you might be right they are not looking too good right now with this hire so I get the not wanting a G5 coach. I say the App St guy because I think its a good fit

Wow that's a lot of turned up noses at guys who have won. So you are not getting a head coach to come to WVU from a power 5 school that's not going to happen. You might get an assistant from say an SEC or BIG school but they will leave as soon as they can. WVU is a good program not great if they were in the BIG they would be comparable to Indiana or Purdue maybe. They are an in the middle type of football program. You have to be real about who you could get. But you might be right they are not looking too good right now with this hire so I get the not wanting a G5 coach. I say the App St guy because I think its a good fit
You don't know that, you just have an idea in your mind what West Virginia is.
A good fit Clark is? Just because he's from WVa?
Just sit back and wait. Heck Brown might not even leave soon.

You don't know that, you just have an idea in your mind what West Virginia is.
A good fit Clark is? Just because he's from WVa?
Just sit back and wait. Heck Brown might not even leave soon.
No I think that Clark is a good fit because the football atmosphere and fan bases at the two places are crazy similar. He has to be dead on in recruiting and can't waste scholarships. He is from WV so he understands the culture there (hence why he has done well at APP same cultures). HE would bring some kick ass back to WVU. That is what I think but who knows I could be off by a mile

Last edited:
Didn’t Donnie Young stay too in some capacity?
Recruiting coordinator for Mountaineer football in 1980. Young returned to the field before the 1993 season to coach the Mountaineer rush and weak-side linebackers.

Prior to the 2001 season, he took on the role of administrative assistant for high school and alumni relations for Mountaineer football after seven seasons on the field as linebacker coach.

For me
Shawn Clark not enough experience. We tried that with Neal Brown it hasn't worked.
Curt Cignetti yes
Bill Obrien no
Scott frost never
Jamey Chadwell yes

Neal Brown’s Buyouts By Year​

Year Salary Buyout
2022 $3,500,000 $20,200,000
2023 $4,000,000 $16,700,000
2024 $4,100,000 $12,700,000
2025 $4,200,000 $7,310,000
2026 $4,400,000 $3,740,000

There are the numbers in black and white. The school is looking at needing to raise $20 million just to get rid of Brown this year. They’ll need another 3-4 million just to buy out the coaching staff. $25M is a lot to ask of any school and a lot to ask for West Virginia, but as someone who works in contracts once told me, schools never write a contract they can’t get out of meaning if Lyons needs to get rid of Brown, he has a way. It may be painful both for him and the donors, but it can be done.

If I were running the show, I would begin putting a coaching search together.

Tony Gibson - Many big donors are pushing this name as are many fans. That's a no for me.
Jimbo Fisher - Super long shot and a no for me.
Byron Leftwhich - OC at Tampa Bay and current salary only 800,000 in NFL. Probably looking to be a HC. I don't care if he's a former Marshall guy or not. Offer 3 million.
Tommy Herman - the crying man
Jamey Chadwell - Coastal Carolina
Shawn Clark - App State. Probably another Neal Brown. Success in Sun Belt, only been a HC 4 years now. Not ready in my opinion.

I'm sure there are many others so let's hear it.
I think we should ask Nick Saban for some recommendations for one of his assistants. Obviously, nobody around Morgantown has a clue based on the last 3 hires.

Hugh Freeze is who I want that didnt make the list. From the list I like Chadwell and Leftwhich best.

Gary Patterson. Comes from a similar culture and mindset. Can run a mean defense, too.
On condition he keep Harrell on as OC and maybe "head coach in waiting". No promises - just a strong consideration when all is said and done.

For me, it's just simple. It would be TOO MUCH $$$ to fire Brown at this point. If anyone should lose their job, it should be Lyons. I say force him out, get a new AD, and maybe this will put a lot of pressure on Brown to either:

1. Turn it around
2. Win just enough that he jumps ship somewhere else (equals: no buyout)

As much as it pains me, after thinking about this, firing Brown is actually the best thing that could happen for him. It would create a mass exodus of players in the portal, more turmoil, economic problems (passed to the consumers), and not really solving the real problem: The horrible contract extension by our AD.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
Brown should resign with an extremely reduced buyout like Chryst at Wisconsin bartered down for.

Then WVU should consider:

Chryst
Patterson
The top coordinators at Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson
Deion Sanders
Leftwich
other highly successful P5 coaches/asssistants where WVU could be a better job such as Wake Forests coach

Leftwwich is the only name I like in Bucks list. Shame he will be a head coach in the NFL soon. Could have used him.

Brown should resign with an extremely reduced buyout like Chryst at Wisconsin bartered down for.

Then WVU should consider:

Chryst
Patterson
The top coordinators at Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson
Deion Sanders
Leftwich
other highly successful P5 coaches/asssistants where WVU could be a better job such as Wake Forests coach
Take your meds.

Just White had any real success
Every team we have had that won 10 games since mountaineer field opened was a mobile qb. We had more sustained success running the spread option than with any other system. Wvu would be best served having a running qb and utilizing him in one way or another.

Reactions: Norcalmounty
The 88 team ran everything.

If you go back and watch the State Penn 88 game, WVU ran from a pro set drop back pass, power I and option. The TD Major ran the wrong way to score was an option run to the left and he went right. Major could play any style offense and players like that today are getting NIL deals that WVU boosters could not come close the covering. Unlike the Ohio State, Alabama, Texas…. the list goes on.

The 88 team ran everything.

If you go back and watch the State Penn 88 game, WVU ran from a pro set drop back pass, power I and option. The TD Major ran the wrong way to score was an option run to the left and he went right. Major could play any style offense and players like that today are getting NIL deals that WVU boosters could not come close the covering. Unlike the Ohio State, Alabama, Texas…. the list goes on.
Major was way ahead of his time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT