ADVERTISEMENT

Where has realignment taken college sports, and where could it be heading in the future?

WVUALLEN

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2009

5 days ago...​

The Direction of College Athletics Hangs in the Balance​

Our best guess at what will be the next big move?​

While realignment seems to be on pause at the moment, it is unlikely to stay that way. Does it mean the Big Ten will add two more teams tomorrow, or the Big 12 will poach half the Pac-12 by the end of next week? No, but the next three to five years are certain to bring more movement within the Power 5.

The Pac-12’s two remaining biggest brands, Washington or Oregon, are unlikely to sign any kind of long-term contract to remain in the league. Three years? Maybe. Six years? No way. If negotiations over the Pac-12’s new TV deal don’t go as planned, maybe we see the Ducks and Huskies move, especially if (1) the Big Ten drops an invite or (2) the Big 12’s TV negotiations in two years produce a more glamorous revenue figure.

Either way, the Big Ten seems willing to eventually expand again, and that means the SEC could respond with another expansion of its own, potentially reciprocating the interest from a bevy of ACC teams that could challenge the grant of rights in exchange for a spot in one of the Big 2. Buckle up. By 2028, the sport could be a 40-team, two-conference structure that perhaps operates as a semiprofessional entity. —R.D.

Article has got it in general, but I think the Big 12 (with the help of ESPN??) somehow finds a golden ticket.

Big 12 will not get a much better deal than the PAC has.
As is? Maybe $5M more per team. But I bet certain PAC 12 teams are being told what the "projected" deal would be if they jumped ship. Don't be surprised if the B12 isn't being given similar projections based on which teams would just so happen to find their way in....by their own volition of course.
It's influencing without culpability. It's common knowledge that these discussions are happening. All ESPN is doing is providing theoretical data and getting out of the way. I hate those assholes, but for once we might benefit from their BS.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
As is? Maybe $5M more per team. But I bet certain PAC 12 teams are being told what the "projected" deal would be if they jumped ship. Don't be surprised if the B12 isn't being given similar projections based on which teams would just so happen to find their way in....by their own volition of course.
It's influencing without culpability. It's common knowledge that these discussions are happening. All ESPN is doing is providing theoretical data and getting out of the way. I hate those assholes, but for once we might benefit from their BS.
There is no doubt to me the media is behind all of this.

Reactions: WVU-Brand
Greed of universities began when they started paying coaches over 1 million dollars.

For example, Bobby Bowden signed his first contract at Florida State University in 1976 for $37,500. Nearly two decades later, Bowden signed the first million-dollar college coaching deal, with incentives, in 1995.

More than 100 college football coaches' annual compensation packages surpass $1 million; over a dozen of them exceed $3 million. Bear in mind that this is happening while U.S. universities are in the midst of a serious financial crisis.

Article from 2019:

Reactions: Rootmaster

My Fu$&ing Streak of Dominance just keeps chugging.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT