ADVERTISEMENT

Where Brown Ranks among last 5 coaches after TWO Seasons.

Brown took over a program in shambles. Didn't realize it till we looked under the covers. No QB or depth. 1 RB. OL was pathetic. Had a few guys to work.with on D. Extremely short of the 85 number.

Reactions: WVUALLEN and Euell
Stewart 18-8
Holgorsen 17-9
Nehlen 15-9
Rodriguez 12-12
Brown 11-11 probably 11-12 but still 11-11

And the fact that RR went on from roughly the same point as Brown to produce 3 of the best years Mountaineer football ever experienced is irrelevant? RR didn't walk in to a dismal roster without 5 competent offensive linemen like Brown, but he did walk into a Power I oriented roster and try to implement the spread offense. 3-8 season trying to make square pegs fit in round holes. But showing that one of the most proficient coaches, even if the guy is a dick and left like a bitch baby, started similarly to Brown doesn't back up your point that WVU needs to replace Brown now and anyone who doesn't is "accepting mediocrity." Neither does it help your position that despite both Stewart's and Holgorsen's better initial 2 year records, one was out of the job after year 3 and the other recorded a 4-8 embarrassment of a following season in which WVU lost to Kansas, respectively.

Trying to compare any of the 5 to each other is Apples to Oranges all took over the program at different talent/ depth levels and playing different schedules. Stewart to Holgerson probably closest thing to a fair comparison

Nehlen took over a team full of players that came to a school that played in a stadium that was falling apart, the only weight room they used had a dirt floor and just completed four straight years of loosing.

RichRod nope. Team just came off bowl win and returned the eventual all time rusher at RB and starting QB.

Holgerson nope. Team was loaded with junior and senior talent that won 9 games the previous year and the year before and the year before that.

Stewart nope. Took over a top 10 ranked team also loaded with talent. Pat White, Devine, etc. that won its bowl game, but choked it’s chance to (or be considered) to play for the National title.

Brown took over a team that lost at home with a loaded team that could / of should of at least played for a conference title. Lost the bowl game and a lot of senior starters on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
Stewart 18-8
Holgorsen 17-9
Nehlen 15-9
Rodriguez 12-12
Brown 11-11 probably 11-12 but still 11-11
So we count games not played as losses. Interesting.

What did Rodriguez do after his first 2 seasons?

Go have a look at the depth charts for those coaches first 2 seasons.

Take your troll shit and move on clown ass.

And the fact that RR went on from roughly the same point as Brown to produce 3 of the best years Mountaineer football ever experienced is irrelevant? RR didn't walk in to a dismal roster without 5 competent offensive linemen like Brown, but he did walk into a Power I oriented roster and try to implement the spread offense. 3-8 season trying to make square pegs fit in round holes. But showing that one of the most proficient coaches, even if the guy is a dick and left like a bitch baby, started similarly to Brown doesn't back up your point that WVU needs to replace Brown now and anyone who doesn't is "accepting mediocrity." Neither does it help your position that despite both Stewart's and Holgorsen's better initial 2 year records, one was out of the job after year 3 and the other recorded a 4-8 embarrassment of a following season in which WVU lost to Kansas, respectively.
Remember Rod lost his starting QB Rasheed Marshall in season 1 first game against Boston College. Stewart and Holgs Big East days were the weakest since it began.

They also only played 11 game seasons in Rods first 5. But for some reason they played an extra game in 2002 and 2003. I don't know if the conference was part of a study for 12 regular seasons or what I don't remember. But they played Wisconsin those 2 years.

Same lameass excuse that mediocre loving Mountaineer fans always use lol.
Same lame response from someone who puts down WVU.

How would any of those other coaches done year 1 and 2 with the same players? I'm predicting the same or worse. Considering WVU was predicted to finish last in Big 12 in 2019 I would say he did really well in his first season.

If Brown had been head coach in 2018 WVU would have won the Big 12.

Reactions: WVUFanForever
Same lame response from someone who puts down WVU.

How would any of those other coaches done year 1 and 2 with the same players? I'm predicting the same or worse. Considering WVU was predicted to finish last in Big 12 in 2019 I would say he did really well in his first season.

If Brown had been head coach in 2018 WVU would have won the Big 12.
If...if...if...if...those are the words used by losers.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
Remember Rod lost his starting QB Rasheed Marshall in season 1 first game against Boston College. Stewart and Holgs Big East days were the weakest since it began.

They also only played 11 game seasons in Rods first 5. But for some reason they played an extra game in 2002 and 2003. I don't know if the conference was part of a study for 12 regular seasons or what I don't remember. But they played Wisconsin those 2 years.

I think even with Rasheed in 2001, WVU struggles mightily. Definitely having Brad Lewis looking like a Looney Toon character churning their legs away and going no where didn't help. But the slow, big, flat footed linemen trying to run read and stretch plays was the biggest problem trying to implement ROD'S system and giving Cobourne running lanes

So john what did you expect was going to happen immediately after Brown was hired? He wasn't going to reverse eight years of mostly mediocrity over night. Most pundits stated that Brown faced a rebuild. It wasn't a full fledged rebuild but it wasn't' a ready made situation like a certain coach had in 2008. Most experts predicted wvu to finish between 8-9th in the Big 12 in Browns 1st two years. Do you think these predictions were some vast conspiracy against wvu? Brown exceeded these expectations in Both years. Now if this was 2008 your complaints would have more merit. It wasn't like Brown was asked to maintain a program like a certain coach was in 2008. It wasn't like Brown had a team ranked in the top 10 in 2008 and three games later that team wasn't ranked. In 2010 a certain coach had 17 starters returning but failed to increase his win total from the year before. Not only that we ended up in a lesser bowl game. Now if this was 2010 and you were complaining I would say right on. judging by the amount of complaining you do I'm sure you were one of those people. If you knew as much about football as you do about complaining I'm sure you would understand.

Last edited:
Same lameass excuse that mediocre loving Mountaineer fans always use lol.

DAMN, I AGREE WITH ROOTMASTER! HE AGREED WITH ME LAST WEEK. HELL MUST HAVE FROZEN OVER. NEAL BROWN DID NOT INHERIT A PROGRAM THAT WAS "IN SHAMBLES." YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO 2013 TO FIND A WORST RECORD THAN NEAL BROWN'S AT WVU. DANA HAD WINNING SEASONS HIS FINAL 3 YEARS AT WVU. THAT DOG JUST WON'T HUNT.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I think even with Rasheed in 2001, WVU struggles mightily. Definitely having Brad Lewis looking like a Looney Toon character churning their legs away and going no where didn't help. But the slow, big, flat footed linemen trying to run read and stretch plays was the biggest problem trying to implement ROD'S system and giving Cobourne running lanes
Rasheed was a freshman in 2001. Still ended with decent stats of 2040 yards rushing and 5558 passing for his career. Not sure he was ever the same after his injury. But probably right it still wouldn't have made much difference. They did lose to Temple after Rasheed came back from his injury.

AND, pray tell me, the worth of making such a comparison? It is meaningless (as others have replied by presenting relative FACTS regarding meaningful, applicable circumstances. Most facets of life are far more than simple "A" and "B" and smart folks understand that and always factor in the myriad of additional information pertinent to the discussion. Only those incapable of working with more than one or two variables choose to dwell on meaningless considerations while, to fully explore the subject matter would preclude their ignoring all the factors that would require intellect and skill far beyond that which they seem to possess).

Reactions: WVUALLEN
DAMN, I AGREE WITH ROOTMASTER! HE AGREED WITH ME LAST WEEK. HELL MUST HAVE FROZEN OVER. NEAL BROWN DID NOT INHERIT A PROGRAM THAT WAS "IN SHAMBLES." YOU HAVE TO GO BACK TO 2013 TO FIND A WORST RECORD THAN NEAL BROWN'S AT WVU. DANA HAD WINNING SEASONS HIS FINAL 3 YEARS AT WVU. THAT DOG JUST WON'T HUNT.
Neal Brown didn't inherit a program in pristine condition. How did that 2018 team look in the bowl game against Syracuse without Grier and Jennings. This is the reality that Brown inherited in 2019. If you look at how many young players that Brown has played in the last 2 years it speaks volumes about the depth that was left to him. Dana got out of town because the cupboard was empty and he knew his a$$ was going to be fired if he didn't produce in 2019.

Reactions: Euell
Some of the conversations turn idiotic

The problem in 2018 wasn't coaching it was roster construction.
Neal Brown wouldn't have won a championship with that roster.

He didn't inherit a "bad team" he inherited a roster that was trying to out Oklahoma Oklahoma.

Neal Brown is a very methodical coach. Especially when it comes to roster construction

Everytime you read his comments it is based on getting better up front.

Great football teams play the number games.
So you have to be able to slow down the run with limited numbers up front
Because you don't want teams to go downfield on you.

This is why WVU defense is build on the LOS

More than that you limit the time that the opposing team has the ball with your offense

The issue for WVU as of right now is that their offense can't click on all cylinders...
When it has you see what Neal Brown wants to do.
But the issue is that he hasn't been able to do this against even the average Big 12 teams.

Because the pass protection isn't there.

You have lost your freaking mind.

2019 was the first time WVU did not have a returning starting QB on it's roster in 54 years, for a new HC in his first year. (1965 Carlens first year)

Neal Brown - No returning starting QB
Holgorsen - Geno Smith
Stewart - Pat White
Rod - Brad Lewis
Don Nehlen - Oliver Luck
Frank Cignetti - Dan Kendra
Bobby Bowden - Mike Sherwood, Bernie Galfia
Carlen - No returning starting QB

2019 WVU 1 returning starter on offensive line, 1 returning starting RB, All new WR crew. Defense 5 returning starters and played 6 freshman.

So I suggest you quit pretending to be a former reporter because you suck at it.

Case closed CFE you lose.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Having a system in place on the Offensive Line is important

Don't get me wrong Dana had that when he first arrived.
But OU took his OL coach and the program started slipping...

Wasn't as much Dana as it was having an elite offensive line coach.

Some of the conversations turn idiotic

The problem in 2018 wasn't coaching it was roster construction.
Neal Brown wouldn't have won a championship with that roster.

He didn't inherit a "bad team" he inherited a roster that was trying to out Oklahoma Oklahoma.

Neal Brown is a very methodical coach. Especially when it comes to roster construction

Everytime you read his comments it is based on getting better up front.

Great football teams play the number games.
So you have to be able to slow down the run with limited numbers up front
Because you don't want teams to go downfield on you.

This is why WVU defense is build on the LOS

More than that you limit the time that the opposing team has the ball with your offense

The issue for WVU as of right now is that their offense can't click on all cylinders...
When it has you see what Neal Brown wants to do.
But the issue is that he hasn't been able to do this against even the average Big 12 teams.

Because the pass protection isn't there.

I'LL REPEAT WHAT I'VE SAID (OTHERS, TOO): YOU NEED AN ACCURATE QB PASSER, AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT ISN'T POROUS AND RECEIVERS WHO DON'T DROP PASSES, ALL ON THE SAME PLAY. AGAIN, TO REPEAT: JUST LIKE GOLF. YOU NEED GOOD DRIVE, GOOD FAIRWAY SHOT TO THE GREEN AND GOOD PUTTING. 2 OUT OF 3 DOESN'T DO IT IN GOLF OR FOOTBALL OR IN BASKETBALL (REBOUNDING, SHOOTING, DEFENSE).

I'LL REPEAT WHAT I'VE SAID (OTHERS, TOO): YOU NEED AN ACCURATE QB PASSER, AN OFFENSIVE LINE THAT ISN'T POROUS AND RECEIVERS WHO DON'T DROP PASSES, ALL ON THE SAME PLAY. AGAIN, TO REPEAT: JUST LIKE GOLF. YOU NEED GOOD DRIVE, GOOD FAIRWAY SHOT TO THE GREEN AND GOOD PUTTING. 2 OUT OF 3 DOESN'T DO IT IN GOLF OR FOOTBALL OR IN BASKETBALL (REBOUNDING, SHOOTING, DEFENSE).

The problem isn't the QB nor the WRs.

It is pass protection.

WVU couldn't open up their offense. Their running game was shut down in the Texas and Iowa State to add to the issues.

When the defense can hold like you saw against K State and TCU it isn't that much of an issue.

But for WVU to do anything they need better pass protection.

Don't care who the QB is at the college level. He won't be accurate if he can't get protected.

Rush throws making the WRs reach.

Not too difficult to see.

Another thing to point out is RB depth...

Something N Brown took care of as well.

Brown can't take a beating like that every game
The running game took a huge step back without him.

WVU brought in two decent RBs

The problem isn't the QB nor the WRs.

It is pass protection.

WVU couldn't open up their offense. Their running game was shut down in the Texas and Iowa State to add to the issues.

When the defense can hold like you saw against K State and TCU it isn't that much of an issue.

But for WVU to do anything they need better pass protection.

Don't care who the QB is at the college level. He won't be accurate if he can't get protected.

Rush throws making the WRs reach.

Not too difficult to see.

AGAIN, UNLESS ALL THREE AT WORKING ON THE SAME PLAY THEN NOTHING WORKS. PASS PROTECTION, AS YOU POINT OUT, IS CRITICAL. WVU LACKED THAT LAST SEASON AND IN OTHER SEASONS. BUT PASS PROTECTION WITHOUT A QB WHO CAN HIT THE RECEIVER AND A RECEIVER WHO CAN CATCH THE PASS WON'T WORK EITHER. YOU NEED ALL THREE.

AGAIN, UNLESS ALL THREE AT WORKING ON THE SAME PLAY THEN NOTHING WORKS. PASS PROTECTION, AS YOU POINT OUT, IS CRITICAL. WVU LACKED THAT LAST SEASON AND IN OTHER SEASONS. BUT PASS PROTECTION WITHOUT A QB WHO CAN HIT THE RECEIVER AND A RECEIVER WHO CAN CATCH THE PASS WON'T WORK EITHER. YOU NEED ALL THREE.

You are you busy trying to push something.
No one can be this stupid.

You will throw a pass more accurately if someone isn't coming after you.
All these QBs can hit the WRs in 7v7 action.

What college coaches trying to do is recreate that 7v7
The way they to do this is having pass protection.

Without the pass protection QBs will rush the ball when throwing
WRs can catch certain passes much easier than others

Throws off the timing for the QB and WR

More than that QBs begin to rush the ball even more when they are getting hit

No one likes pissing blood...
A lot of these QBs end up doing that when they are taking direct kidney shots regardless of protection that is created

Last edited:

It can be an excuse or it can be a legit observation. An example of a legit "if" would be if someone came along after the Fiesta Bowl in 2007 and claimed Stewart was better than Rodriguez and the correct response would be "if Stewart were HC the 3 years leading up to 2007, WVU does not have the team, conditioning, scheme, and execution that it utilized in that game. It applies here as well given it is a legit "if" to note that Dana walked into a much better situation than Brown walked into.

Tiger Woods rarely hit the fairway. You left out needing a good short game in golf. If your short game sucks it don't matter how many fairways you hit. If you can't play around the greens as well as putt you'll never win a major. Players that win majors can hit out of trouble.

Football you need a good short game to keep drives alive. You need a good short game to score TD not FG. Doege had the 2nd highest percentage in Big 12. Just think if his WR could catch.

Basketball if you can't guard the paint it doesn't matter how many shots you hit. Just means you lose high scoring games to better teams. The short game in basketball is a free shot given from the foul line. You must hit those. Of course the new thinking is the more FT you get the better chance you score and extra 15 to 20 points. So 50% isn't always a bad thing until clutch time.

In the midst of the seemingly endless run of Penn St beatdowns of the Mountaineers Joe Paterno was asked when would WVU win. He said "when they have better players." Anything else is a loser's excuse.

Reactions: KingCoal
So we count games not played as losses. Interesting.

What did Rodriguez do after his first 2 seasons?

Go have a look at the depth charts for those coaches first 2 seasons.

Take your troll shit and move on clown ass.

get back on the blue lot and let them dwell in their cesspool and misery. you can't save everyone...

Reactions: WVUALLEN
At least be vocal when the coaches are here.
The reason they can't is because they hate WVU so much they can't give any credit to them whatsoever.

It is actually entertaining to see how WVU has abused someone's mind enough to where their life's goal is to troll WVU message boards.

YEP. Pretty similar to becoming a better than average sports reporter. Not enough to have participated in some version of a defined ‘sport’
ages ago, being willing to brave inclement weather of one sort or another just to be able to brag about doing it, being able to compose a written document using only words containing less than 4 letters and sentences having no more than 5 such words, and being fully proficient, after no more than 10 years in the ‘profession’ (increased to a dozen years if you began immediately after college graduation and had required at least 7 years to complete that initial degree) you have discovered both the location snd function of the CAPS LOCK on your typewriter or keyboard.

YEP. Pretty similar to becoming a better than average sports reporter. Not enough to have participated in some version of a defined ‘sport’
ages ago, being willing to brave inclement weather of one sort or another just to be able to brag about doing it, being able to compose a written document using only words containing less than 4 letters and sentences having no more than 5 such words, and being fully proficient, after no more than 10 years in the ‘profession’ (increased to a dozen years if you began immediately after college graduation and had required at least 7 years to complete that initial degree) you have discovered both the location snd function of the CAPS LOCK on your typewriter or keyboard.

FORCUS ON THE WORDS. THEY ARE IMPORTANT. NOT THE CAPS OR BOLD. AND NOT WHO POSTS IT. THAT'S WHAT WISE PEOPLE DO. IF THE CAPS BOTHER YOU THAT MUCH, PUT ME ON IGNORE AND THEN I'LL KNOW YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH UNLESS IT'S IN LOWER CASE.

ADVERTISEMENT