ADVERTISEMENT

When I taught years ago I was a 12 month employee....

Snow Sled Baby

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
Staunton Va
band director and head JV and asst varsity basketball coach I got 1500 bucks a year for all of that. It is my understanding that teachers now get 1300 just for showing up at school and they also get paid extra for stuff like yearbook advisor and student council advisor....back in the day that was an expectation of your job as a teacher......Methinks they have been coddled too much...if they want a raise then it should be tied to how they are doing their job re test scores and graduation rates.....plenty of better places for that money to go...no wonder this country is in the shape it's in....ridiculous

I coached middle school football and basketball for over 20 years then spent 10 as AD. I never made over $500 per sport coaching and just a $1000 for AD. Still, I support any help the teachers get today. BTW I started teaching in 1971 and made $6,919 a year. Took home $459 each month.

I coached middle school football and basketball for over 20 years then spent 10 as AD. I never made over $500 per sport coaching and just a $1000 for AD. Still, I support any help the teachers get today. BTW I started teaching in 1971 and made $6,919 a year. Took home $459 each month.
I started in 1972....made 7500 my first year

Reactions: WVU1975
Yep, I guess teaching our next generation is not worth the money. Let's just keep it as glorified daycare. [eyeroll]
example...my brother runs a senior center feeding program in Pleasants County...his state budget got cut 17000 dollars this year..money taken from programs that provide some seniors with the only hot meal they have all day....most of the teachers I saw protesting haven't missed many meals...if they cared about education they would not have gone on strike...it's all about me,me,me and $$$...but West Virginia isn't the only place...and YOU called it glorified day care...not me

Reactions: TimWVU01
band director and head JV and asst varsity basketball coach I got 1500 bucks a year for all of that. It is my understanding that teachers now get 1300 just for showing up at school and they also get paid extra for stuff like yearbook advisor and student council advisor....back in the day that was an expectation of your job as a teacher......Methinks they have been coddled too much...if they want a raise then it should be tied to how they are doing their job re test scores and graduation rates.....plenty of better places for that money to go...no wonder this country is in the shape it's in....ridiculous

You’re one of my favorite posters. Thanks for keeping it real with these millennial hippy potheads who want their money for nothing and their chicks for free.

example...my brother runs a senior center feeding program in Pleasants County...his state budget got cut 17000 dollars this year..money taken from programs that provide some seniors with the only hot meal they have all day....most of the teachers I saw protesting haven't missed many meals...if they cared about education they would not have gone on strike...it's all about me,me,me and $$$...but West Virginia isn't the only place...and YOU called it glorified day care...not me
Then quit voting for austerity and make the legislature up the severance tax rates back to where it isn't killing our budget, if you really care about something other than yourself.

And it's a hoot you call teachers selfish when you are from the generation that doesn't believe in taxes and thinks Ayn Rand was just the bee's knees.

You sound very passionate about the subject. Perhaps you should be a teacher.

Reactions: Mountaineer Gooch
You're right, they should have waited until they slipped to 49th or 50th in average pay in the country.

Edit: Typo fixed. Sorry, my English teacher left for a better paying job when I was in high school and the one that took over sucked.

Last edited:
You're right, they should have waited until they slipped to 49th or 50th in average pay in the country.

Edit: Typo fixed. Sorry, my English teacher left for a better paying job when I was in high school and the one that took over sucked.

It’s your

Reactions: UltraMarathonEER
I sat here and listened for 2 weeks about how this strike was for the kids and that we need kids in classrooms with qualified teachers.

If it's about the kids and putting then in classrooms with teachers, why did Governor say to cheering teachers that these 9 days won't be made up? How is 9 days out of class and not made up what is best for the kids?

Epic get off my lawn there folks

Reactions: WhiteTailEER
I'm back and forth on this topic. I've been a teacher for 30 years and I don't like the idea of a strike. I think if you're in it for the kids then you need to be in the classroom. That being said the difference in pay between WV and other states just isn't fair. Why would I teach in WV when I can go across the state line and make 10,000-20,000 more. If you want quality you need to pay for it. Teacher retention will be very low if the pay isn't competitive. It doesn't make any sense for individuals fresh out of college to cut their teeth in WV and then leave for better paying jobs in other states. As far as, extra pay for extra duty, its' a necessary evil. I'm an athletic director at our high school and we're going to cancel our jv softball season because we don't have anyone who will coach. If you want the programs you need to pay for them. I have several teachers who coach 2-3 sports and then work nighttime events in other sports because there just aren't very many people who enjoyed getting blasted by parents because Johnny and Betty aren't playing enough for them. It gets real old, real fast.

Teachers aren't paid enough, in my opinion. Whatever you're doing for a living, especially if you're successful, you can thank your teachers. You wouldnt be there without them.

That said, there are teachers who aren't very good. Teachers should be paid by what they deliver, not by what unions say they should make. I'm not anti-union, but damn....bad teachers shouldn't be paid as much as great ones.

One problem in the teaching profession that has to be taken care of....teachers and underage students socializing (some may call it that). Absolutely too much of it going on and we only hear about the ones who are caught.

My coaching job makes about 30 cents per hour. I'm tickled to be getting that, that's not what I'm there for.

Reactions: WVU1975
Just close the schools. They could make much if they just did one on one baby sitting, and get to pick which child they sat...

My coaching job makes about 30 cents per hour. I'm tickled to be getting that, that's not what I'm there for.
We made less than that when we considered the gas from taking the players home, feeding them out of our pockets after games and the hours involved. I wasn't complaining . We all do it for more than money.

And like clockwork.....

The attacks on education, lol
that is NOT an attack on education...it is a criticism of those teachers who are in it just for the money......if you're in it for the money move or make a career change....if you are in it to educate then you don't go out on strike in the first place

Check the status of States with higher teacher pay, does your arm get tired from patting yourself on your freaking back? Methinks you ain't thankful for your own good fortune enough.

Check the status of States with higher teacher pay, does your arm get tired from patting yourself on your freaking back? Methinks you ain't thankful for your own good fortune enough.
I am not patting myself on the freaking back. I'm saying that when I taught you had certain expectations of extra curricular activity involvement that didn't involve getting paid every time you stayed after the end of school.....and we NEVER got 1300 bucks just for showing up. I was fortunate enough to make a career change to a very nice job. Those folks who were on strike have a college degree and the same option...instead they chose to desert the students for a 5% raise that the citizens of West Virginia will have to pay for and is not tied to any performance expectations...yeh...they really care about "education"...Methinks you don't know what you are talking about.....again

that is NOT an attack on education...it is a criticism of those teachers who are in it just for the money......if you're in it for the money move or make a career change....if you are in it to educate then you don't go out on strike in the first place

LOL. "The teachers who are in it for the money." That's a good one. So many teachers in this country just making bank, rolling up to school in their Porsches, rocking those tailored suits, taking that summer vacation in Europe.

Spoiled, all of them [eyeroll]

LOL. "The teachers who are in it for the money." That's a good one. So many teachers in this country just making bank, rolling up to school in their Porsches, rocking those tailored suits, taking that summer vacation in Europe.

Spoiled, all of them [eyeroll]
raises and tenure based on perforrmance would settle everything

ADVERTISEMENT