ADVERTISEMENT

What should the Cougars expect with Dana?

Will pace offense quickly enough to avg 30 pts even with avg qb at expense of defense such that you will never have a decent DC that wants to work there. Forget about returning a punt. Reckless and impulsive on 4th down which benefits his play calling on the first 3 downs. He only had a couple of surprising losses and few surprising victories, except bowls. Mediocre recruiter.

5b4fb686e6f8963987be72c1_My_Prediction__Pain_background_by_kingofank.jpg

Reactions: WVU80ate
He will hire a buddy or a guy he likes who has no business coaching college football and will defend him to the point it will cost you a game or two (cough cough Joe Deforest).

He will hire an offensive coordinator who was ran off from other programs because he sucks at play calling, call at least a dozen runs up the middle when the defense has the box stacked and cost you a few games (cough cough Jake Spavital).

He will recruit quarterbacks who can’t grasp his system.

He will piss off players to the point they really dislike the guy.

Lose games he should win.

Suck in bowl games.

Cancel a spring game.

Piss on your boots and swear it’s raining.

Good luck.

Reactions: lakeers
I think Dana could have screwed WV.

He probably had an idea he was leaving on NSD from what I am hearing.

He could have not pushed your recruits into signing and left y'all in a messed up situation.

Look at Tennessee last year.
Tennessee and Nebraska were begging all recruits before NSD2 because both former coaches told their recruits not to sign.

Dana has never been a good recruiter anywhere he’s been. No defense and no CEO ability as a head coach. Totally undisciplined coach and lacks leadership. You guys are in deep trouble. Worst hire ever. Guy can’t coach. 2 times worse than Applewhite. You’ll see. WVU fans couldn’t wait to fire him or see him leave for lesser job.

Is his first QB Will Grier or Ford Childress???

Answer that question and your first question is answered as well.

A guy pacing up and down the sideline, trying to look like he's coaching but really he's not doing anything. Kind of like a WalMart employee.

He's an "offensive genius" that has an offense without a true understanding of what that offense is.

I think Dana will do better in Houston than he did at WVU. I think he was in a little over his head trying to compete in the B12. He cant recruit good enough for that, and was a little too undisciplined to make up for it with good coaching. He was a fish out of water in WV and I think overall he will feel better and recruit better in TX. He learned some lessons here that will help him there.

A guy pacing up and down the sideline, trying to look like he's coaching but really he's not doing anything. Kind of like a WalMart employee.

He's an "offensive genius" that has an offense without a true understanding of what that offense is.

The guy is a very good offensive coach.
You have to give him credit for that

Some of the offense in the Big XII will blow your mind.

Watch the Oklahoma St vs Missouri highlights.

Mike Gundy went with a full house backfield with the diamond formation and 2 H Backs .

Oklahoma St ran all over Missouri.

I thought he quit on the team before the game.

I never said that. That is some circumstantial evidence to point to that, however. But then again, his performance after Grier was injured last year was far from very good as well.

I never said that. That is some circumstantial evidence to point to that, however. But then again, his performance after Grier was injured last year was far from very good as well.

Even if you didn't...Him quitting before the bowl game is the narrative around WVU.

So I wouldn't use the bowl performance against him.

DH's ability to create explosive plays will be missed.
Not saying the next coach won't have that ability but Dana is one of the better offensive coaches in the college game.

But...a lot of fans don't appreciate what they have until they are gone.
Gus Malzahn at Auburn is a perfect example.
Auburn won't find a better offensive coach very easily.
Neither will WV.

But....
Maybe it is time to find a great Defensive coach.
Great offenses only get you so far

Even if you didn't...Him quitting before the bowl game is the narrative around WVU.

Not saying the next coach won't have that ability but Dana is one of the better offensive coaches in the college game.

Neither will WV.

But....
Most of us agree, he’s a great offensive mind. He’s not a good HC. His ceiling is OC. That’s the best he is. He needs someone overseeing him. He’s undisciplined and impulsive. He needs a HC to say, “No! We aren’t going for it on 4th down in the 2nd Q”. He has cost us so many games with that 4th down bullshit, it’s not even funny.

Neither will WV.

But....

Crazy as it seems, I want both.

Reactions: RoanokeVAEer
Most of us agree, he’s a great offensive mind. He’s not a good HC. His ceiling is OC. That’s the best he is. He needs someone overseeing him. He’s undisciplined and impulsive. He needs a HC to say, “No! We aren’t going for it on 4th down in the 2nd Q”.

I see it opposite. Schemes are great for his starting QB. That scheme carried through the lack of imaginative ability and game management ability that the prior staff had on gamedays. Once anything went haywire, though, they couldn't adjust on offense. That could be halftime adjustments to what the defense is doing, or otherwise. If the first string QB isn't available, it's a nightmare.

Reactions: RoanokeVAEer
Most of us agree, he’s a great offensive mind. He’s not a good HC. His ceiling is OC. That’s the best he is. He needs someone overseeing him. He’s undisciplined and impulsive. He needs a HC to say, “No! We aren’t going for it on 4th down in the 2nd Q”. He has cost us so many games with that 4th down bullshit, it’s not even funny.

He didn't believe in WV

I think you need a coach who believes in the program.

His chances were because he needed to win.
For him to win he thought he needed to take advantage of all chances.

That is my opinion of his time

I think many fans will forever be disappointed with any WVU couch because of woefully unrealistic expectations. As painful as it is sometimes to admit truth, WVU will never match the recruiting power of OU or UT who restock year after year with hand picked 4 and 5 star recruits. I’m not saying that we can’t assemble and coach up great athletes to compete because we always have to do that and have done so. Holgs has gotten us to the top half of the conference. I would not categorize that as a disappointment as such except that Holgs has demonstrated little capacity to get the upset but too often his teams are on the other end of that. IMO he has taken this program as far as he can for many of the reasons others have noted and his departure is at a good time. It seems to me that Brown has demonstrated the kind of coaching that would be a great match for the program and it’s challenges. I am optimistic for the future.

If he didn’t believe in the program he wouldn’t have stayed nine years. Some of these criticisms are really laughable.
He will put people in the stands, the next play may be a 89 yard td bomb so don’t blink.
May go for it on 4th and 4 from his own 40.
May run when they expect pass and may pass when expect run.
Has his players back and they love playing for him despite what some on here would like you to believe. Ask David Sills!

Last edited:
Saying Dana didn't believe in WV isn't criticism.

The Big XII put WV on their ass early.
Dana did what he could to compete in the conference.

DH thought he had to take huge risk.
If he believed in WV he would have been a lot more conservative.

WV has to prove they can win 9+ games in the Big XII every year.
Maybe DH held them back. We will find out very soon

If he didn’t believe in the program he wouldn’t have stayed nine years. Some of these criticisms are really laughable.
He will put people in the stands, the next play may be a 89 yard td bomb so don’t blink.
May go for it on 4th and 4 from his own 40.
May run when they expect pass and may pass when expect run.
Has his players back and they love playing for him despite what some on here would like you to believe.
If he was highly thought of, he wouldn’t have left for a midmajor program. The fact he was once an OC at TTech and they refused to even interview him for the HC position speaks volumes. No other P5 program wanted him, including WVU. If we wanted to keep him, we would have. Lyons would’ve offered him the raise and extension he wanted.

Reactions: Euell
Well, the Cougars can expect a man who is ready, willing, and sexually active in the community with a preference for women of age. The Cougars can also expect several visits to the local Korean Spas that line some parts of Houston and just like his coaching, he likes to finish. Trust me, Holgs will never quit on the Cougars.

When the TT job opened he was still hoping to finalize a deal with WVU. He didn’t express any interest, thus no interview. They refused nothing.
Also, I don’t think Houston will be a mid major for long. They will be in the Big 12 within 5 years. He knows what he’s doing.
So you saying he didn’t believe in West Virginia is not criticism??? Who are you trying to kid??

Last edited:
you will never win a bowl game and your team will be soft. Also hope ,no pray that you never
have to use your back up QB.

When the TT job opened he was still hoping to finalize a deal with WVU. He didn’t express any interest, thus no interview. They refused nothing.
Also, I don’t think Houston will be a mid major for long. They will be in the Big 12 within 5 years. He knows what he’s doing.
please lol. He expressed disappointment he didn’t get the interview. He wanted Texas Tech. And no, Houston will not be in the Big 12. Let alone 5 years. Texas schools don’t want them. And they offer nothing. Big 12 schools won’t take less money by adding another mouth to feed.

Link to him expressing disappointment?? If the Big 12 doesn’t expand to 12 within the next 5 years there will be NO Big 12 in 5 years.

please lol. He expressed disappointment he didn’t get the interview. He wanted Texas Tech. And no, Houston will not be in the Big 12. Let alone 5 years. Texas schools don’t want them. And they offer nothing. Big 12 schools won’t take less money by adding another mouth to feed.
You have it wrong. Dana was never interested in working at Texas Tech after the way they treated Leach, who is his close friend.

You have it wrong. Dana was never interested in working at Texas Tech after the way they treated Leach, who is his close friend.
I doubt that changed a thing for Holgorsen. When new administration at TTU.

Don’t know to link this :
Article : House of Houston
By T. A. Mock
Why the Big 12 Needs to Add Houston Now

Expect to see him with some nose candy and playing hide & seek with coeds before games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT