ADVERTISEMENT

what in the world happened to our offense?

Today it was announced that Jake Spavital is in the running for the nation’s top assistant coach

One of 15 finalists

Today it was announced that Jake Spavital is in the running for the nation’s top assistant coach

One of 15 finalists

Clemson's offensive coordinator Elliot won the Broyles Award for top assistant in 2017 yet still only got 28 vs Wake Forest, 24 vs Syracuse and 24 vs Georgia Tech. Funny how that works … or were those underperformances on the players only? Couldn't get more than 6 vs Alabama or 14 vs Auburn that year either. Winning an award and having a good overall season does not mean there can't be at least a few games were the performance was less than good.

Reactions: Rootmaster
Clemson's offensive rankings in 2017...

Top 25 in total yards
Top 40 in yards/game
35th in rushing yards/game
61st in passing yards/game
Top 25 in total points
32nd in Points/game (33pts)
14th most efficient offense

Clearly their OC won the award for coaching a very AVERAGE offense to the College Football Playoffs by managing clock and controlling field position and possession.

Meanwhile, Jake Spavital has produced another top 25 offense and is considered one of the top 15 assistants in college football currently.

Saying "yea, but we didn't score enough" when you put up 41 points is ignorant. Plain and simple ignorance.

Clemson's offensive rankings in 2017...

Top 25 in total yards
Top 40 in yards/game
35th in rushing yards/game
61st in passing yards/game
Top 25 in total points
32nd in Points/game (33pts)
14th most efficient offense

Clearly their OC won the award for coaching a very AVERAGE offense to the College Football Playoffs by managing clock and controlling field position and possession.

Meanwhile, Jake Spavital has produced another top 25 offense and is considered one of the top 15 assistants in college football currently.

Saying "yea, but we didn't score enough" when you put up 41 points is ignorant. Plain and simple ignorance.

Just as it is ignorant to say an offense couldn't be better by playing to their potential for more than one half. Especially when the opposing defense has all the resistance of a wet paper bag.

Seriously, what is it with you? Just because the offense has overall done well and Spavital has had good moments, does not mean either have been perfect. Both have made mistakes and played poorly at times. Even you can recognize the ISU debacle for what it was. You ignore that the halves WVU scores big is when the defense is getting the offense more possessions ala the TCU first half. When they can't get off the field, the offense in turns pisses away possessions ala the OSU and TTU games. All of this is to say that I understand opposing arguements about what is worse. But to not at least acknowledge that the offensive play in the second halves of TTU, OSU, ISU and to a lesser extent UT were problematic given the capabilities of the offense is just willful ignorance.

GEE, OSU'S GAME PLAN WAS JUST SCORE MORE POINTS. WORKED FOR THEM1

Yeah.............but it only works for one team at a time. Check it out. One team wins............the other little pig goes waahhhh, wahhhh, wahhh all the way home. Warez

I'll take a chance and risk being in Mountaineer Field to make sure Oklahoma doesn't beat WVU, 107-3, because fans think we have no offense and no defense.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R etching collapse at Oklahoma State, 41-45

S hootout success over Oklahoma & play for Big 12 title vs. Texas

I'll take a chance and risk being in Mountaineer Field to make sure Oklahoma doesn't beat WVU, 107-3, because fans think we have no offense and no defense.

M agnificent Grier passes shredded Tennessee, 40-14

O verhelmed drenched Youngstown, 52-17

U nable to play North Carolina State because of Hurricane Florence

N asty defense against Kansas State, 35-6

T errific, then timid on offense against Texas Tech, 42-34

A ntsy time for fans, vs. Kansas!, 38-22

I ncomprehensible insanely indescribably inept offense against Iowa State, 14-30

N ailed Baylor, 58-14

E rectile dysfunctioned Texas on 2-point PAT, 42-41

E viscerated TCU, 47-10

R etching collapse at Oklahoma State, 41-45

S hootout success over Oklahoma & play for Big 12 title vs. Texas

IF we play the second half this week like we did last week, I am sorry to say that you may be right. Only time will tell. I hope I have to eat my words.

What about Gibby's failure to adjust to a four receiver set? Both sides of the ball left at halftime.

Gibson needs to do better without a doubt. I've said it before that WVU should aspire to playing good defense even if the rest of the Big XII stinks on that side of the ball. That being said, the offense has more experienced players, less injuries, and the more coaching "expertise." Therefore when both sides of the ball stink it up in the half, I think the unit with all those advantages going up against the worse unit deserves a bit more of the criticism. How much goes to players vs coaches, I'm not sure, but more belongs with that unit. Especially when it's not the first time that unit shit the bed for an entire half against a piss poor defense. At least the defense only shit the bed against one less than top 50 scoring offense in the ISU game. The others were at least against good offenses.

Let's ask the proper question. Where is our defense when you need it? The defense folds like a Chinese suit on 3rd down and 15 every time. Unbelievable! Warez

ADVERTISEMENT