ADVERTISEMENT

What do you guys think of this?

RichardPeterJohnson

All-American
Dec 7, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA
This guy was a year behind me in high school. Played middle linebacker on the FB team. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer but a good guy back then. I haven't seen him since high school. Didn't know he was a principal. Anyway, while this kind of conduct is abhorrent and worthy of a sexual harassment lawsuit and loss of his job (if true), is it really a crime? Back in the day, if a guy did this, he'd get a slap across the face and a kick to the nuts. But arrested? Times have changed.
http://www.charlestondailymail.com/article/20150420/DM02/150429933

Doesn't sound like first degree sexual assault.

From the WV Code website:

a) A person is guilty of sexual assault in the first degree when:

(1) The person engages in sexual intercourse or sexual intrusion with another person and, in so doing:

(i) Inflicts serious bodily injury upon anyone; or

(ii) Employs a deadly weapon in the commission of the act; or

(2) The person, being fourteen years old or more, engages in sexual intercourse or sexual intrusion with another person who is younger than twelve years old and is not married to that person.

From my quick read it looks like sexual assault of any degree is defined by sexual intercourse or intrusion. Grabbing a boob or some ass sounds like sexual abuse as defined by the WV code

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/code.cfm?chap=61&art=8B&section=5

Agree, sounds like 1st degree sexual abuse that carries a sentence of 1-5 years. I'm not sure if that would be per incident or not - that part may be up to the discretion of the judge.

Creepy but not criminal. People are so soft these days. If someone whipped his ass for that crap it would probably stop.

Creepy but not criminal. People are so soft these days. If someone whipped his ass for that crap it would probably stop.

Who is going to whip his ass for it? And then, with somebody like this, that person ends up with battery charges.

You don't think women should have the realistic expectation of NOT being groped when they go to work? It is criminal.

Reactions: countryroads89
In today's world it is a crime. Especially since it appears to be a pattern instead of an isolated instance.

In today's world it is a crime. Especially since it appears to be a pattern instead of an isolated instance.

That's an important point. If it happened only once with one woman you could almost write it off as getting mixed signals or misreading the situation . He did it to multiple women, after being asked to stop, and then used his position to threaten the career of one. Pretty bad.

You'd have to be pretty dense to not see this as a crime. In today's world the school could face a lawsuit for a hostile workplace even by women that hadn't been assaulted. And justifiably so.

Who is going to whip his ass for it? And then, with somebody like this, that person ends up with battery charges.

You don't think women should have the realistic expectation of NOT being groped when they go to work? It is criminal.

I'm guessing there are plenty of folks willing to whip his ass for it, and battery charges would not be a deterrent. Who said women shouldn't be groped?

Good Lord man, you had the whole box of moron cereal for dinner. "people are so soft these days" - yeah, because every woman should be sexually harassed on the job with no repurcussions. And yes, it IS criminal. It's not sexual abuse but it is sexual harassment. The guy didn't even have to touch them - the fact that he mentioned her performance evaluation is what is called "Quid Pro Quo".

Good Lord man, you had the whole box of moron cereal for dinner. "people are so soft these days" - yeah, because every woman should be sexually harassed on the job with no repurcussions. And yes, it IS criminal. It's not sexual abuse but it is sexual harassment. The guy didn't even have to touch them - the fact that he mentioned her performance evaluation is what is called "Quid Pro Quo".

Who said that every woman should be harassed with no repercussions? Sexual harassment is not a crime, it is a civil case and I have yet to see anyone suggest the guy not be fired and/or sued.

Who said that every woman should be harassed with no repercussions? Sexual harassment is not a crime, it is a civil case and I have yet to see anyone suggest the guy not be fired and/or sued.

Except that this is not simply harrassment.

1) He's trying really really hard ... give him some credit
2) It goes beyond harrassment with the touching/groping

You can't say that anymore. I think the term now is "differently abled".
I certainly apologize if I offended anyone. Let me restate it more clearly and without using derogatory terms. Dave, you have not shown any intellectual reasoning when you believe sexual harassment is NOT a crime. Your post is devoid of logic and grossly uninformed.

Except that this is not simply harrassment.

If prosecutors want to charge him and they can prove he broke the law, I am fine with it. I just don't think what he did was first degree assault per the DM article. IMO it was harrassment. I am pretty sure when the OP started this thread, he asked for our opinions so I offered mine.

I certainly apologize if I offended anyone. Let me restate it more clearly and without using derogatory terms. Dave, you have not shown any intellectual reasoning when you believe sexual harassment is NOT a crime. Your post is devoid of logic and grossly uninformed.

That's better, but I think it would be more effective if you could find a way to convey this using monosyllabic terms.

That's better, but I think it would be more effective if you could find a way to convey this using monosyllabic terms.

I will ask you the same question I asked countrytard. Do you understand the difference between criminal code and civil code? I am pretty sure you do.

Do you understand the difference between criminal code and civil code? You might want to be careful using the word retard otherwise.
Yes I do, you obviously don't. The Civil Rights ACT of 1964 passed, it is a LAW. When one breaks or violates a LAW, it is a crime. I can't make it any simpler. For some strange reason, the television show "are you smarter than a fifth grader" pops in my head.

Yes I do, you obviously don't. The Civil Rights ACT of 1964 passed, it is a LAW. When one breaks or violates a LAW, it is a crime. I can't make it any simpler. For some strange reason, the television show "are you smarter than a fifth grader" pops in my head.

I will let Whitetaileer explain the difference to you. You are not going to listen to me.

Doesn't sound like first degree sexual assault.

From the WV Code website:

a) A person is guilty of sexual assault in the first degree when:

(1) The person engages in sexual intercourse or sexual intrusion with another person and, in so doing:

(i) Inflicts serious bodily injury upon anyone; or

(ii) Employs a deadly weapon in the commission of the act; or

(2) The person, being fourteen years old or more, engages in sexual intercourse or sexual intrusion with another person who is younger than twelve years old and is not married to that person.

From my quick read it looks like sexual assault of any degree is defined by sexual intercourse or intrusion. Grabbing a boob or some ass sounds like sexual abuse as defined by the WV code

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/wvcode/code.cfm?chap=61&art=8B&section=5

Unlawful sexual contact is committed when a person knowingly subjects the victim to any sexual contact if a) the person knows the victim does not consent or b) the person knows the victim is incapable of appraising what the person is doing or c) the victim is physically helpless and the person knows that and that the victim has not consented, d) the person has substantially impaired the victim's power to control the person's behavior by using alcohol or drugs, e) the victim is in custody, or in a hospital, the person has supervisory or disciplinary authority and uses his position of authority to coerce the victim to submit or f) the person engages in treatment or examination of the victim for other than bona fide medical purposes.

Unlawful sexual contact
1. A person is guilty of unlawful sexual contact if the actor intentionally subjects another person to any sexual contact and:
A. The other person has not expressly or impliedly acquiesced in the sexual contact. Violation of this paragraph is a Class D crime; [2001, c. 383, §23 (new); §156 (aff).]

Unlawful sexual contact is committed when a person knowingly subjects the victim to any sexual contact if a) the person knows the victim does not consent or b) the person knows the victim is incapable of appraising what the person is doing or c) the victim is physically helpless and the person knows that and that the victim has not consented, d) the person has substantially impaired the victim's power to control the person's behavior by using alcohol or drugs, e) the victim is in custody, or in a hospital, the person has supervisory or disciplinary authority and uses his position of authority to coerce the victim to submit or f) the person engages in treatment or examination of the victim for other than bona fide medical purposes.

Unlawful sexual contact
1. A person is guilty of unlawful sexual contact if the actor intentionally subjects another person to any sexual contact and:
A. The other person has not expressly or impliedly acquiesced in the sexual contact. Violation of this paragraph is a Class D crime; [2001, c. 383, §23 (new); §156 (aff).]

If grabbing a boob is sexual intrusion than this guy probably is going to either plea or go to jail. According to the DM he was charged with sexual assault. Per eereverent's reply it didnt appear that he had committed sexual assault. Like I stated earlier, if he committed a crime I have no problem prosecuting it. Country brought up sexual harrassment as a crime. The point I made to him is that sexual harrassment is civil code and not criminal code.

If he is charged for unlawful sexual contact, I agree with you if he is guilty of that he is a criminal.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT