ADVERTISEMENT

What can Brown do for you?

doneagain

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 12, 2004
My parent's basement
For starters, I have seen some calling for a 4-8 season for WVU next year, had DH returned.

I think 6-6 or 7-5 is realistic.

I believe it will take until year 3 before we see a shot at 10 wins or better, but I firmly believe Brown is an upgrade in all phases of coaching.

Time will tell if I am right or wrong.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
I think WVU would have went 6-6 at the worst. I still think WVU goes 6-6 at the worst.

WVU was not in that bad of shape. Time will tell what we do here. Time will tell. Sad thing is we have to wait 8 months to find out.

Cant wait until his introductory press conference. I think he flew here after he appeared at the Troy basketball game this afternoon. It would be great if he did it tonight before the bball game.

Reactions: Rootmaster
As of right now.

The Top 4 are clearly defined going into next year
Oklahoma
Texas
Iowa State
Baylor

Then you have
TCU
Oklahoma State

I think WV could realistically finish anywhere from third to seventh.

Missouri is a tough non conference game.

7-5 to 5-7 sounds realistic.

But it is way too early

Wow that is deep there FakeTexasDude. Not going to be Oklahoma or Texas on one end or Kansas on the other. You are so insightful lol.

Kansas....
If they get a QB and Pooka's legal issues clear up Kansas could realistically be a bowl team next year with a culture change.

Pooka Williams is probably the most explosive returning player in the Big XII.
Can win a game by himself.

TVZ...try going over my post again before answering lol.

Your attacks on the Big XII are entertaining....

I wouldn't kick Kansas around.
Like I have said David Booth is putting big time money into KU football.

Kansas alumni understand what is needed to win at Football.

At the risk of being redundant tvz...read it one more time...slowly.

You were attempting to be facetious.

Since the Big XII went back to the CCG set up
More than half of the schools had a chance to compete to play in the CCG.
This last year 4 teams went into the second to final week with a chance and 3 teams went into the final week.

Last year TCU played in the game and Oklahoma St had a chance to play in the CCG.

This goes back to what can Neal Brown do....

1) Bring excitement and money to the program
2) Attract recruits
3) Grow the fanbase

On the field...
I think Brown can bring a lot different style of the AirRaid.

Is a lot more conservative playcaller

Has won with his D more than his offense.

I like the guy.
He was around some very good offensive minds at Tech
Eric Morris
Sonny Cumbie

Plus he coached in the SEC so his version of the AirRaid like what happened with KK had to adjust .

He is our 2019 schedule:
Aug 31 James Madison
Sep 7 @Missouri
Sep 14 NC State
Sep 21 @Kansas
Oct 5 Texas
Oct 12 Iowa State
Oct 19 @Oklahoma
Oct 31 @Baylor
Nov 9 Texas Tech
Nov 16 @Kansas State
Not 23 Oklahoma State
Nov 29 @TCU

Based on what I saw in the bowl game and if Dana stayed, the only wins on our schedule are James Madison, Kansas, Texas Tech and Kansas State.

Wish I could go back and see all the Dana is God posts from 8 years ago, as I remember everyone thought he was a genius

For starters, I have seen some calling for a 4-8 season for WVU next year, had DH returned.

I think 6-6 or 7-5 is realistic.

I believe it will take until year 3 before we see a shot at 10 wins or better, but I firmly believe Brown is an upgrade in all phases of coaching.

Time will tell if I am right or wrong.

I’m hopeful. It was apparent Dana had reached his ceiling at WVU. We just need to give Brown some time and space to implement his system.

I hope things work out for Dana in Houston, but I think in his heart he’s an OC, not a HC.

I’m hopeful. It was apparent Dana had reached his ceiling at WVU. We just need to give Brown some time and space to implement his system.

I hope things work out for Dana in Houston, but I think in his heart he’s an OC, not a HC.

I think DH will be an annual 10-game winner in Houston because they have what it takes to be the best team in the AAC every year. But you have to consider that what they are competing against in the AAC.

I liked Dana, and I wanted him to do well (better than he had done) and in doing well, continue to be our coach. I hoped this season that just ended was finally going to be the year we started getting consistency, but after the loss to Oklahoma State, I finally accepted that Dana was operating at capacity.

Dana was not a “dot the I and cross the T” guy, and he was happy sleeping in and not using all his bowl practices. He probably won’t ever have to be the intense guy at Houston that is needed at a power 5 program.

I think DH will be an annual 10-game winner in Houston because they have what it takes to be the best team in the AAC every year. But you have to consider that what they are competing against in the AAC.

I liked Dana, and I wanted him to do well (better than he had done) and in doing well, continue to be our coach. I hoped this season that just ended was finally going to be the year we started getting consistency, but after the loss to Oklahoma State, I finally accepted that Dana was operating at capacity.

Dana was not a “dot the I and cross the T” guy, and he was happy sleeping in and not using all his bowl practices. He probably won’t ever have to be the intense guy at Houston that is needed at a power 5 program.

That is pretty well said. I don’t agree 100% but I’m in for 90% of it.

Reactions: doneagain
I think WVU would have went 6-6 at the worst. I still think WVU goes 6-6 at the worst.

WVU was not in that bad of shape. Time will tell what we do here. Time will tell. Sad thing is we have to wait 8 months to find out.[/QUO

As always, key will be finding a qb or coaching up the ones we have. That will make a big difference in winning 3/4 games or 6/7....which I think would be most. I think Brown will do well, but got to find qbs.

As of right now.

The Top 4 are clearly defined going into next year
Oklahoma
Texas
Iowa State
Baylor

Then you have
TCU
Oklahoma State

I think WV could realistically finish anywhere from third to seventh.

Missouri is a tough non conference game.

7-5 to 5-7 sounds realistic.

But it is way too early

If we had a proven QB coming back, I would be more optimistic. We have 2 young guys with potential, but have seen very little from them. We will have some inevitable attrition, so how much and who is a concern.

I see possible wins as:
- JMU
- NC State (they come to Morgantown and will be breaking in a new QB)
- Kansas (new coach, too & Miles won’t have LSU to bail him out of coaching gaffes)
- Kansas State (new coach, too - offense needs life breathed into it)
- Texas Tech (new coach, too & play in Morgantown)

Games where we might upset someone:
- Baylor (are getting better, but not there yet)
- TCU (always tough, but need improved QB play over 2018)
- Oklahoma State (play in Morgantown & have a new OC)
- Iowa State (play in Morgantown - if it were in Ames I wouldn’t place them here)
- Missouri (playing in Missouri but no proven QB)

Games where most will have a loss penciled in for WVU:
- Texas (probably return more than anybody else)
- Oklahoma (playing in Norman we haven’t beaten them since joining B12)

Coaching changes are werid...

Kansas St is a very interesting team.
The coach they are bringing in is like a young Purple Wizard .
Wouldn't be a surprise if K State has a seamless transition

Wouldn't surprise me either way.

Baylor top 4. That's freaking hilarious.

They are trending up.
Both Baylor and Iowa St.
Returning QBs.
Matt Rhule is a good coach. He has walked Baylor through hell.

Pissed off WV got a down Charlie Brewer who poured his heart into beating Texas but came up short.

What you saw in the bowl game is Charlie Brewer.
Like Ehlinger, Brewer was born to play QB at UT. His Daddy and Papaw both started at the University of Texas.
Brewer is a winner very much like Ehlinger.
Played QB at Lake Travis HS like Baker Mayfield.

His rivarly with Sam Ehlinger is going to be interesting the next two years.

But....

Baylor is a team WV needs to beat if they want to have first year success and to take the wind out of Baylor's sails.

Baylor thinls they are a 10-2 team next year.

Brown will make Trey Lowe very good right off the jump. By next August he will be very good. We got a deep stable of good RBs and Lowe will add to the running game. Marcus Simms is a fast, stud WR and Simmons, Bush will be solid. Haskins is a good TE. The offensive line will be the same or better. Lowe enrolled early last January so he won’t be as young as most redshirt freshmen. He’s also a big boy.

The defense will be better coached and more physical with this new staff and the LB core will be older deeper overall. This year was crazy with all the fluke injuries at LB. Never seen so many injuries to a position like that. The defense will be better overall next year. WVU will win 7-8 games easy. They won’t win Big 12 next year but will win 8 games. They will be very solid even with first year coach. In 2020 and beyond they will challenge for Big 12 titles every year. Brown is a good coach.

Trey Lowe or a grad transfer.

For development reasons I wouldn't want Lowe out there.
I think he has a chance to be a good QB but I don't think he is there yet.

I wouldn't discount Neal Brown's coaching abilities but 8 wins is a stretch.

Realistically with the culture change.
I would stick to 6 wins.

Win 2 of these 8
Missouri
NC State
Baylor
Iowa St
TCU
Oklahoma St
Texas
Oklahoma

Without getting upset in the other 4

Next year will be fun. Hoping to see a tough, angry football team. I dont care about their final record. Need more grit.

WV could very well end up like TCU 2018 but without the dogs at RB.

TCU wasn't a bad team but with some next level talent struggled to win 6.

But had major QBs issues.

there is nothing harder in college football than replacing a top tier qb. the only thing that approaches it is replacing a mid tier qb. basically, it's hard to replace capable qb's in college football. it's truly a crapshoot for 99% of schools.

luckily, the QB will have *legitimately* 5 capable running backs to support him. practically an entire offensive line returning. and a receiving group that already has a viable #1 guy in Simms.

but you just never know. i agree with the poster that said we can go anywhere from 3rd to the bottom. it's an unknown when breaking in a qb.

Thought this was about UPS...

or the other brown..

Look at what Brown did for pride.
Now he is robbing his mama for heroin money

They are trending up.
Both Baylor and Iowa St.
Returning QBs.
Matt Rhule is a good coach. He has walked Baylor through hell.

Pissed off WV got a down Charlie Brewer who poured his heart into beating Texas but came up short.

What you saw in the bowl game is Charlie Brewer.
Like Ehlinger, Brewer was born to play QB at UT. His Daddy and Papaw both started at the University of Texas.
Brewer is a winner very much like Ehlinger.
Played QB at Lake Travis HS like Baker Mayfield.

His rivarly with Sam Ehlinger is going to be interesting the next two years.

But....

Baylor is a team WV needs to beat if they want to have first year success and to take the wind out of Baylor's sails.

Baylor thinls they are a 10-2 team next year.

Baylor finishes 7th

Oklahoma
TCU
Texas
ISU

The rest
Oklahoma State
WVU
Baylor
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Kansas

WVU will beat Baylor.

TVZ do you even post on the Texless board? I doubt you do.

Baylor finishes 7th

Oklahoma
TCU
Texas
ISU

The rest
Oklahoma State
WVU
Baylor
Kansas State
Texas Tech
Kansas

WVU will beat Baylor.

TVZ do you even post on the Texless board? I doubt you do.

Baylor finished above seventh this year.
I doubt they fall back because they bring Brewer back plus a lot of weapons.

TCU?
TCU is going to rely on a RS freshman at QB
Their QB situation is horrible if Justin Rogers can't play.

But..Rogers has a lot of talent.
I just think it will take him 8+ starts to develop.

Even Kyler Murray sucked when he first hit the field.

TCU will hit the grad transfer market very hard this year.

So...
They could actually compete for a Big XII Championship or be 6-6 again.

And TVZ throws another spin. Raved about TCU and now says they will suck. Come on pride jr. Keep up. Or pick one of the profiles you want to use and leave the rest behind.

And TVZ throws another spin. Raved about TCU and now says they will suck. Come on pride jr. Keep up. Or pick one of the profiles you want to use and leave the rest behind.

Never raved about TCU...

I like their RB.
Runs like ED and AP.
A real sleeper...from the perfectly named town of Humble TX.

But this is not 1994.
You need to score points unless OU all the sudden cannot score.
Don't care how great your D is...you need to score 30 to beat them

If we had a proven QB coming back, I would be more optimistic. We have 2 young guys with potential, but have seen very little from them. We will have some inevitable attrition, so how much and who is a concern.

I see possible wins as:
- JMU
- NC State (they come to Morgantown and will be breaking in a new QB)
- Kansas (new coach, too & Miles won’t have LSU to bail him out of coaching gaffes)
- Kansas State (new coach, too - offense needs life breathed into it)
- Texas Tech (new coach, too & play in Morgantown)

Games where we might upset someone:
- Baylor (are getting better, but not there yet)
- TCU (always tough, but need improved QB play over 2018)
- Oklahoma State (play in Morgantown & have a new OC)
- Iowa State (play in Morgantown - if it were in Ames I wouldn’t place them here)
- Missouri (playing in Missouri but no proven QB)

Games where most will have a loss penciled in for WVU:
- Texas (probably return more than anybody else)
- Oklahoma (playing in Norman we haven’t beaten them since joining B12)

Like you, I think next year is going to be a rough one and I do not mind one bit. I am hopeful for 4 wins so long as the foundation is lain. I will not be surprised if even break even next year, but more I do not expect. It is not the coaches that will fail us, we don't have a good team. It is a hodgepodge of various levels of talent and refinement; key positions have too many question marks and for my opinion, our guys are fast, lazy and slow. Both lines look like they would be happier in line at Krispy Kreme than facing Oklahoma. They all need to be ripped down and built back up. Until we have physical and mental discipline, this team is going to struggle. It will take time, one year for sure, two years likely but after that, I expect fireworks.

ADVERTISEMENT