ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia making strides in run game

Like most, I am very happy the running game is going better this year. However, I am not pleased with everything I see.

For example, I am going to make a little guess here (without the stats in hand) that the least productive back in yards/carry is getting the bulk of the carries. Why? Perhaps, we are allotting carries based on time in grade (seniority), not productivity? Also, one back is getting what I would call token carries. He comes in for a series or two, does great and goes back to riding the pine.

Also, I wonder how much this is going on with other positions?

Good coaches get the best players on the field for the bulks of the snaps. Especially, in this NIL/easy transfer world, I would think you want to play the best while you have them as you don't know how long you will have them.

Pitt game Donaldson had 7 Carries 125 yards
KU game Donaldson had 13 Carries 48 yards
Total so far 20 Carries 173 Yards

Donaldson a true freshman who never played RB and was recruited as TE.

Pitt Game Mathis had 16 Carries 71 yards
KU game Mathis had 16 Carries 59 yards
Total so far 32 Carries 130 yards

As you can see the carries moved closer the second game. Once Donaldson learns the position better you will see more carries. When they both learn to block you will see even more yards.

Donaldson an unknown at the start showed skills. When a team keyed on him he slowed. Let's see how he does against better competition like OU, Texas, Baylor, ISU, Oklahoma State defensive lines.

You do know the OC makes the calls on who gets the carries and who doesn't?

Besides the way this defense sucks it won't matter who has more carries.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT