ADVERTISEMENT

WVU Release West Virginia hoops to play in Shriners Charleston Classic

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Shriners Hospital for Children Named New Title Sponsor for ESPN Events’ Charleston Classic; Field for 2021 Tournament Revealed

ESPN Events and Shriners Hospital for Children have come to a four-year agreement, making Shriners Hospital for Children the new title sponsor of the Charleston Classic. The multi-team tournament, to be played November 18, 19 and 21, at TD Arena in Charleston, S.C., will feature 12 games across three days, with winners advancing through the bracket. The two teams that remain undefeated will play for the opportunity to be named tournament champion. Teams set to play in the 2021 Shriners Children’s Charleston Classic include Boise State, Clemson, Elon, Marquette, Ole Miss, St. Bonaventure, Temple and West Virginia.

“We are excited to welcome Shriners Hospital for Children into our ESPN Events family,” said Clint Overby, vice president of ESPN Events. “This title sponsorship will provide many opportunities to highlight and support this incredible organization during tournament week both in Charleston and during game telecasts. We look forward to highlighting and supporting their work, as well as welcoming student-athletes, coaches and fans back to Charleston for this wonderful event.”

“We are thrilled to team up with ESPN and the Charleston Classic in support of our life-changing mission,” said James R. “Jim” Smith, Imperial Potentate of Shriners International and CEO of Shriners Hospitals for Children. “Our healthcare system has helped nearly 1.5 million children in the last century, transforming the lives of so many and giving them the ability to pursue their passions including sports such as basketball.”

Field Highlights

• St. Bonaventure is ranked No. 15 in ESPN’s “Way Too Early” Top 25 for the upcoming season
  • West Virginia earned a No. 3 seed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament and advanced to the second round
  • Marquette is led by new head coach Shaka Smart, who finished with a 109-86 record at Texas, earning a No. 3 seed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament
  • Clemson has reached two of the last three NCAA Tournaments, securing a No. 7 seed last season
  • Boise State and Ole Miss played in the 2021 NIT Tournament
  • Temple is a returning Charleston Classic champion (2017)
  • Elon advanced to the CAA Championship last season

This family-friendly tournament offers the teams a week of practice, play and experiences in and around historic Charleston.

Tickets will be available for purchase following the announcement of the complete tournament schedule later this summer. In the meantime, fans can secure up to $25 off each all-tournament ticket by signing up for the pre-sale at www.charlestonclassic.com.

About Shriners Hospitals for Children

Shriners Hospitals for Children is a health care system with locations in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. Our staff is dedicated to improving the lives of children by providing pediatric specialty care, conducting innovative research, and offering outstanding educational programs for medical professionals. Children up to age 18 with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care, regardless of the families’ ability to pay. Within these broad service lines, many types of care are provided. For example, some locations offer reconstructive plastic surgery, treatment for craniofacial abnormalities or care for sports injuries. Generally, care is provided until age 18, although, in some cases, it may be extended to age 21. All services are provided in a compassionate, family-centered environment. For more information, please visit shrinershospitalsforchildren.org.

The Other Charleston (South Carolina) Classic basketball tournament November 18, 19 and 21 stirs up some good memories for me.

The field includes Marquette, St. Bonaventure, Temple and West Virginia. The 4 saw each other regularly decades ago in the days when the Big East was one of the super leagues in college basketball before the massive conference realignments. Only Georgetown will be missing the reunion.

Also in the 2021 tournament are Clemson, Ole Miss, Boise State and Elon, wherever that is.

As always, Huggins manages, with the help of whoever is WVU’s AD, to get a solid early-season tournament to test Huggins Heroes.
There will be 12 games in 3 days. The last 2 undefeated teams will play for the title.

I couldn't stand not knowing, so I looked up Elon. It's in Elon, North Carolina. After 11 seasons in the Southern Conference, the home for WVU till the bluebloods split off to form the ACC, Elon switched to the Colonial in 2014.

Elon has NEVER won a post-season tournament game -- Division II in 1997, College Insider in 2013 and NAIA 3 times in 1952, 1956 and 1957. Elon is 300 miles north of The Other Charleston. Actually there are NINE Other Charlestons -- in Arizona, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine and Mississippi. The only one I care about, obviously, is in Kanawha County.

The field includes Marquette, St. Bonaventure, Temple and West Virginia. The 4 saw each other regularly decades ago in the days when the Big East was one of the super leagues in college basketball before the massive conference realignments. Only Georgetown will be missing the reunion.
I don't remember St. Bonnie and Temple ever participating in Big East basketball.

WVU played against St. Bonaventure and Temple during the Eastern 8/Atlantic 10 days a few decades back. Marquette was in there for a few years while WVU was a member. I remember that because their coach pissed off the fans when he danced to country roads after a win on the logo.

I don't remember St. Bonnie and Temple ever participating in Big East basketball.

WVU played against St. Bonaventure and Temple during the Eastern 8/Atlantic 10 days a few decades back. Marquette was in there for a few years while WVU was a member. I remember that because their coach pissed off the fans when he danced to country roads after a win on the logo.
You can't talk truth to CFE. He's an important writer and probably a Liberal which is why nothing is fact checked.

Oh and St. Bonaventure is still in A10.

The Other Charleston (South Carolina) Classic basketball tournament November 18, 19 and 21 stirs up some good memories for me.

Also in the 2021 tournament are Clemson, Ole Miss, Boise State and Elon, wherever that is.

As always, Huggins manages, with the help of whoever is WVU’s AD, to get a solid early-season tournament to test Huggins Heroes.
There will be 12 games in 3 days. The last 2 undefeated teams will play for the title.

I couldn't stand not knowing, so I looked up Elon. It's in Elon, North Carolina. After 11 seasons in the Southern Conference, the home for WVU till the bluebloods split off to form the ACC, Elon switched to the Colonial in 2014.

Elon has NEVER won a post-season tournament game -- Division II in 1997, College Insider in 2013 and NAIA 3 times in 1952, 1956 and 1957. Elon is 300 miles north of The Other Charleston. Actually there are NINE Other Charlestons -- in Arizona, Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine and Mississippi. The only one I care about, obviously, is in Kanawha County.

Regarding the United States, Charleston, SC is THE Charleston just like THE Fayetteville is in North Carolina. I grew up in Beckley and it's not disparaging to your home state to recognize facts. It also helps keep you from looking like a boob.

St. Bonaventure was not in the conference as I recall. Sure they were in the northeast and played some Big East schools in the OOC schedule every year, but they were not regulars.

What does it mean that Georgetown is the only one missing? Seton Hall, Providence, St. John's, UConn and Villanova are not there either. That fails to mention the other former Big East schools who are currently in Power 5 conferences.

Is it really that hard to schedule these kind of preseason tournaments? Seems there are plenty around and it's not any more than business as usual for a Power Conference team to get into one them.

Amazing that you can use Google to look up information when you don't have a pre-determined conclusion in your head.

Bonnies and Temple were in the A10 with WVU.

Thanks for the correction. But all are old rivals that I would love to see again. I got that part right, correct? I would love to see a Nostalgia Basketball Tournament with WVU, St. Bonaventure, Georgetown, Syracuse, Pitt, Penn State, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Rutgers, Temple, Duke, Wake Forest. Interestingly the current Southern Conference commissioner is Jim Schaus, son of Fred Schaus, who I think along with Oliver Luck are the two best athletic directors that WVU has had in my lifetime. Frederick Appleton Schaus came from Newark, Ohio to become the first 1,000-point season player in Mountaineer basketball history, then coached Jerry West to 1 point shy of winning the NCAA title in 1959 during his 1954-60 years in Morgantown and returned to WVU in 1981 as athletic director. He served his alma mater well in all 3 categories.

Thanks for the correction. But all are old rivals that I would love to see again. I got that part right, correct? I would love to see a Nostalgia Basketball Tournament with WVU, St. Bonaventure, Georgetown, Syracuse, Pitt, Penn State, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Rutgers, Temple, Duke, Wake Forest. Interestingly the current Southern Conference commissioner is Jim Schaus, son of Fred Schaus, who I think along with Oliver Luck are the two best athletic directors that WVU has had in my lifetime. Frederick Appleton Schaus came from Newark, Ohio to become the first 1,000-point season player in Mountaineer basketball history, then coached Jerry West to 1 point shy of winning the NCAA title in 1959 during his 1954-60 years in Morgantown and returned to WVU in 1981 as athletic director. He served his alma mater well in all 3 categories.
Start handing out money and it will be done.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT