ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins press conference summary

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
--West Virginia head coach Bob Huggins said they seemingly miss more two-footers than any team in history. They had shots, but they didn't make them. It's hard to make a shot from two-feet if you're not looking when you shoot it. It's hard to get it in if you don't get it over the rim.

--Gradey Dick is extremely good. He doesn't think he missed a shot.

--Everything is important when you're playing a highly ranked team. Every time you miss a cutter, or dribble it off your foot it hurts you. They didn't make shots, but Kansas did.

--When you're flunking a class you study more or you continue to flunk a class. If you continue to not make shots and aren't consistent at the free throw line, you're probably going to flunk the class. He doesn't know why it doesn't bother them when they miss shots. They don't respond. You're not overexerting yourself shooting free throws especially when you have managers rebounding for you. He thought they had solved that problem but obviously they were wrong.

--When you tell your bigs for five days you have to get under the screener to stop the roll and they continually roll for baskets you're not paying a whole lot attention.

--Huggins doesn't know what is wrong with Bell.

--The best way when you're struggling to make shots is to actually make a shot. You're not going to break that by missing shots from two to five feet. Seeing the ball go in certainly helps. Huggins doesn't know if what's unfolded affected Stevenson's play.

--Kansas made shots early. The thing early that stood out was multiple guys making shots, it wasn't just a guy or two. West Virginia doesn't guard. All the stuff they do in practice, they don't guard.

Same old crap. Same excuses. Same lame bullshht. Between this emerging clownshow and the imitation football team who even gives an f what these overpaid losers say?

What he said is 100% correct.

Ultimately the buck stops with Huggins. If we have multiple years where the guys brought into the program just won't listen, then there is a point where the judgement of the person bringing them in should be questioned. I love Huggins, but his success at WVU always relied on bringing in guys and building a roster through guys inside the programs for 2-3 years. He likely doesn't have time to do that again given what is on the roster currently and his age. And so far this attempt to build a roster primarily through the portal doesn't look like the answer for a good tournament run. It is a tough job with the new system given NIL, portal, etc... And maybe no one can do it. But if Huggins can't, hopefully he gives another guy a chance to try rather than vainly flail through 2-3 more seasons like last year and the start of this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: WVUALLEN
Ultimately the buck stops with Huggins. If we have multiple years where the guys brought into the program just won't listen, then there is a point where the judgement of the person bringing them in should be questioned. I love Huggins, but his success at WVU always relied on bringing in guys and building a roster through guys inside the programs for 2-3 years. He likely doesn't have time to do that again given what is on the roster currently and his age. And so far this attempt to build a roster primarily through the portal doesn't look like the answer for a good tournament run. It is a tough job with the new system given NIL, portal, etc... And maybe no one can do it. But if Huggins can't, hopefully he gives another guy a chance to try rather than vainly flail through 2-3 more seasons like last year and the start of this year.
It's not going to get any easier. I thought he would retire in 2023-24 season. I'm hoping maybe he retires at the end of the year.

I just don’t see how we do this every year under Huggins and there are very little to no changes on his staff. It has gotten to the point where blaming the players has gotten stale.

I just want to win!! I want to be excited for a mountaineer team!! It’s been way to long!!

I just want to win!!

THEN YOU SHOULD BE THRILLED TO HAVE HUGGINS.

13-19 in 2012-13
17-16 in 2013-14
25-10 in 2014-15
26-19 in 2015-16
28-9 in 2016-17
26-11 in 2017-18
15-21 in 2018-19
21-10 in 2019-20
19-10 in 2020-21
16-17 in 2021-22

THREE losing seasons in 10 years!

206 W's
142 L's
59.2% winning percentage

Making or forcing the players to shoot 100 free throws, at practice end -
does not work.

Recommend every player shoot
10 straight.
This method teaches more urgency.

10 straight , 100 has been worthless.

Making or forcing the players to shoot 100 free throws, at practice end -
does not work.

Recommend every player shoot
10 straight.
This method teaches more urgency.

10 straight , 100 has been worthless.
They are not forced to make 100 or shoot 100. They are asked to do so. Some stay and do it some don't. Listen to Tre Mitchell interview after Oklahoma State.

Dien
They are not forced to make 100 or shoot 100. They are asked to do so. Some stay and do it some don't. Listen to Tre Mitchell interview after Oklahoma State.
Doesn't matter what I think, Doesn't matter what you think - it's not working.

West Virginia can't shoot.

Dien

Doesn't matter what I think, Doesn't matter what you think - it's not working.

West Virginia can't shoot.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding
but delight in airing their own opinions.

Reactions: mofo
ADVERTISEMENT