ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football vs. Virginia Tech

Do they run more than 5 plays with Greene in? Doege had a pretty decent first half, but had more aggressive play calling from the sidelines too. Maybe VT made some halftime adjustments. Deeper issue for me is we can't seem to get QB recruits that are even a possibility of being a late round draft choice. Having had Dan Kendra, Pat White, Major Harris, Mark Bulger, Geno Smith, Jeff Hostetler, Oliver Luck, jeez even Jake Kelchner, Kevin White and Rasheed Marshall among others, I don't think fans are asking for the moon.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I thought @Rootmaster claimed he was WVUs biggest fan
Man only shows up when things are bad.

Users in life show up when things are good and they want to enjoy what you have.

Trolls in life show up on message boards when things are bad because they want you to think the world is ending

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
I’m glad we won. I think if we play like we did in the first half we have a chance to beat Oklahoma. We can’t turn the ball over!!!

Reactions: deedoubleyou
I couldn't watch but that looks like a really nice win for WVU.

I will always give credit where credit is due and that was a good notch in Browns belt.

Reactions: Jason Voorhees
Do they run more than 5 plays with Greene in? Doege had a pretty decent first half, but had more aggressive play calling from the sidelines too. Maybe VT made some halftime adjustments. Deeper issue for me is we can't seem to get QB recruits that are even a possibility of being a late round draft choice. Having had Dan Kendra, Pat White, Major Harris, Mark Bulger, Geno Smith, Jeff Hostetler, Oliver Luck, jeez even Jake Kelchner, Kevin White and Rasheed Marshall among others, I don't think fans are asking for the moon.
No. The fumble at the 50 by Doege is what led to conservitive play. That fumble flipped the field of play. Even though Tech did score on that turnover it did keep the ball on WVU side of the field for the final quarter.

I’m glad we won. I think if we play like we did in the first half we have a chance to beat Oklahoma. We can’t turn the ball over!!!
The playcalling in the first half was pretty good, and I saw Daygay make a couple really nice passes that I have to give him credit for. The 80 yard run by Leddie was the kickstart for sure, and won the game really, being such a rare big play. But in the 2nd half it was like run up the middle, run up the middle, pass. So damn predictable VT knew exactly what was coming. Everyone did. And it almost lost the game. It will lose the game against the Spooners. We have to go petal to the metal against them to even be in it.

It seems like if we are going into run mode, Greene would be the glaringly obvious choice. Run the spread option type thing with him and Leddie. It adds a nice twist and also gets our 2 best runners on the field together. Much harder to stop that.

Reactions: locustwv
Still worried about the second half collapse. It's one thing to sit on a lead but it's another thing to almost squander it. Saban preaches about maintaining focus and intensity, WVU do well to attend the Church of Saban

Still worried about the second half collapse. It's one thing to sit on a lead but it's another thing to almost squander it. Saban preaches about maintaining focus and intensity, WVU do well to attend the Church of Saban
I totally agree. The second half of the Maryland game was the same too, which makes it look like a pattern. 3 points in the entire half, after having 21 points in the first half. Definitely not a good look.

What's annoying about this post is that some will come on here and spout off, "uhhhh, Saban nearly squandered a big lead in The Swamp," as if the environments are in any way comparable and as if Saban and Brown have the same pedigree.

But maybe not, since they've been preemptively called out.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Those arguing that Greene "doesn't know the playbook", guess who else doesn't know their playbooks? Every freshman (redshirt or true) QB. That includes Ohio State, Clemson, etc.

Let's relish the silver linings and stop being miserable about the dark clouds.

BIG 12 WEEK 3

WVU never trailed and upset #15 Virginia Tech, 27-21, for first time since 2003 upset of #3 Virginia Tech, both games in Mountaineer Field.

WVU is 2-1.

#3 Oklahoma beat Nebraska, 23-16.

Sooners are 3-0.

Kansas State beat Nevada, 38-17.

K-State is 3-0.

Baylor shredded Kansas, 45-7.

Baylor is 3-0.

Texas Tech ripped Florida International, 54-21, and is 3-0.

Oklahoma State nipped Boise State, 21-20, and is 3-0.

#14 Iowa State shredded Nevada Los Vegas, 48-3, and is 2-1.

Texas shut out Rice, 58-0, and is 2-1.

SIX teams in the Big 12 are undefeated although only 2 are in top 25.

Big 12 is 24-5 this season!

Kansas is ONLY Big 12 team with a losing record (1-2).

WVU almost is undefeated because Maryland game was up for grabs till the finish. And NOBODY has beaten Maryland this season.

Enjoy the upset of #15 Virginia Tech! It's a puzzlement.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
Is that why Saban and crew nearly blew their game and lead as well?

Let's relish the silver linings and stop being miserable about the dark clouds.

BIG 12 WEEK 3

WVU never trailed and upset #15 Virginia Tech, 27-21, for first time since 2003 upset of #3 Virginia Tech, both games in Mountaineer Field.

WVU is 2-1.

#3 Oklahoma beat Nebraska, 23-16.

Sooners are 3-0.

Kansas State beat Nevada, 38-17.

K-State is 3-0.

Baylor shredded Kansas, 45-7.

Baylor is 3-0.

Texas Tech ripped Florida International, 54-21, and is 3-0.

Oklahoma State nipped Boise State, 21-20, and is 3-0.

#14 Iowa State shredded Nevada Los Vegas, 48-3, and is 2-1.

Texas shut out Rice, 58-0, and is 2-1.

SIX teams in the Big 12 are undefeated although only 2 are in top 25.

Big 12 is 24-5 this season!

Kansas is ONLY Big 12 team with a losing record (1-2).

WVU almost is undefeated because Maryland game was up for grabs till the finish. And NOBODY has beaten Maryland this season.

Enjoy the upset of #15 Virginia Tech! It's a puzzlement.
WVU was favored to win, that was no upset. TECH overrated as usual.

Maryland unbeaten because they played nobody exception being first half WVU team. They beat Howard and perennial last place Big 10 Illinois. They have 1 more win in them ...Kent State. They will then proceed to lose 8 straight.

Last edited:
What's annoying about this post is that some will come on here and spout off, "uhhhh, Saban nearly squandered a big lead in The Swamp," as if the environments are in any way comparable and as if Saban and Brown have the same pedigree.

But maybe not, since they've been preemptively called out.
Saban did squander a lead. He should be fired.

Last edited:
Savan did squander a lead. He should be fired.
Saban has won 7 national championships. He gets a pass. Brown got a good win yesterday but it does concern me how we end games sometimes that are well in hand going into the 4th quarter. That being said I think we play well next week @ Oklahoma.

I totally agree. The second half of the Maryland game was the same too, which makes it look like a pattern. 3 points in the entire half, after having 21 points in the first half. Definitely not a good look.
Maryland game 4 turnovers 3 in second half.
Yesterday after Tech scored on 9 play drive 3rd quarter. WVU was moving the ball against Tech front 7. Doege fumbles the ball on the 50 breathing new life into them. They do another 9 play drive but didn't score. Thankfully.

After that fumble and Tech eating clock on 11 play drive and a 9 play drive consecutive drives but the score was 27-21 with 5 minutes to go. The fumble at 50 was when WVU went ultra conservative. The int nearly cost them the game. They had 9 runs after Doege fumble. 19 runs in 2nd half 9 of those final 3 drives. Before the INT Greene had first down running the ball but a flag for procedure called it back. The INT was the next play. WVU had 31 runs 26 passes.

This bull crap about every play was an up the middle run is BS. Besides that WVU was wearing down with Big runs until Doege decides to be even more wreckless than Normal.

Saban has won 7 national championships. He gets a pass. Brown got a good win yesterday but it does concern me how we end games sometimes that are well in hand going into the 4th quarter. That being said I think we play well next week @ Oklahoma.
Stupid is as Stupid does. Those 7 titles would not mean Jack shit to these ass clown couch coaches.

I think we get our asses handed to us but Greene will take over after we are down 35 then starts the rest of the season.

Good win but almost squandered due to the lack of intensity to finish the game. Doege won’t win you any games, but limiting his turnovers and getting the running game going are musts going forward for each game.

Reactions: KingCoal
Good win but almost squandered due to the lack of intensity to finish the game. Doege won’t win you any games, but limiting his turnovers and getting the running game going are musts going forward for each game.
That's the problem with the message board coaches. They focus on the almost instead of the actual. Some forget that the opponent wants to win as well.

As far as the turnovers WVU has 7 in 3 games and 4 are from Doege. Turnovers is something he did not do last year. With the exception being Bowl game where he threw a Pick and fumbled. Seems to have carried over to this year with 3 interceptions and 1 fumble.

So in his past 4 games he has had 6 turnovers. With 4 of those in his first 3 games.

Stupid is as Stupid does. Those 7 titles would not mean Jack shit to these ass clown couch coaches.

I think we get our asses handed to us but Greene will take over after we are down 35 then starts the rest of the season.
I don’t think Oklahoma will score 35. Just my opinion.

WVU barely loses to Maryland it is time to fire everyone because the program is dead
WVU beats a Top 15 team it doesn’t change anything.
Not blind homers that are the problem here. Blind haters are

WVU barely loses to Maryland it is time to fire everyone because the program is dead
WVU beats a Top 15 team it doesn’t change anything.
Not blind homers that are the problem here. Blind haters are
VT has a #15 by their name, or they did, but I very highly doubt they finish the season ranked near the top 25. They are no where near the 15th best team in the country. Its not even close.

VT has a #15 by their name, or they did, but I very highly doubt they finish the season ranked near the top 25. They are no where near the 15th best team in the country. Its not even close.
This isn’t a complete football team
Going to take some losses.
But there hasn’t been anything yet to say that Neal Brown can’t get there one day
More than that you are missing the point
How is a close L to Maryland cause so many people to declare this program dead
But a victory over VA Tech doesn’t mean anything

Negative people.
Like I have asked Rootmaster before
Is there anything he likes about WVU.
Anything positive at all. When you are 100% negative regardless of the circumstances it says a lot

This isn’t a complete football team
Going to take some losses.
But there hasn’t been anything yet to say that Neal Brown can’t get there one day
More than that you are missing the point
How is a close L to Maryland cause so many people to declare this program dead
But a victory over VA Tech doesn’t mean anything

Negative people.
Like I have asked Rootmaster before
Is there anything he likes about WVU.
Anything positive at all. When you are 100% negative regardless of the circumstances it says a lot
I think all WVU fans were very happy with the win, but on top of that most WVU fans are not sold on Brown and think he called a bad game. Just listening to WVU talk radio, the emailer/texter/callers were an onslaught about Neal Browns dismal 2nd half play calling. I heard it over and over. Saw it over and over on facebook. Its just how it is. I'm not saying he cant improve it, but as it stands now, we are very lucky we have had such a good defense under him or he may have less than 5 wins to his name by now. His offense has yet to put together a complete game against any decent competition his entire time here.

Reactions: Rootmaster
I think all WVU fans were very happy with the win, but on top of that most WVU fans are not sold on Brown and think he called a bad game. Just listening to WVU talk radio, the emailer/texter/callers were an onslaught about Neal Browns dismal 2nd half play calling. I heard it over and over. Saw it over and over on facebook. Its just how it is. I'm not saying he cant improve it, but as it stands now, we are very lucky we have had such a good defense under him or he may have less than 5 wins to his name by now. His offense has yet to put together a complete game against any decent competition his entire time here.

I don't know what the Facebook crowd said but WVU won, who gives a shit what the idiots on Facebook say?

I dont like Neal Brown but his team beat a major rival in front of a home crowd, that's a really good thing.

People on Facebook are only happy if WVU wins by 1,000 points

I always look at a games outcome the same way....

If I was a WVU student, how would I feel?"

Id be a really happy college kid today, I'm sure Morgantown is buzzing...its a BIG WIN, enjoy it.

Who is we?
You aren’t a WVU fan
So obsessed it is sad

I don't know what the Facebook crowd said but WVU won, who gives a shit what the idiots on Facebook say?

I dont like Neal Brown but his team beat a major rival in front of a home crowd, that's a really good thing.

People on Facebook are only happy if WVU wins by 1,000 points
I think everyone is enjoying the win. I know we blew up with excitement where I was when we stopped them on 4th down. But like you, not many folks seem to like Neal Brown from what I see. Thats kind of the point. I'm pumped we have the black diamond trophy though. Now its onto the B12 play, where we will be facing better teams than Maryland and VT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT