ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia football QB Doege has received waiver

Just curious what that means for him considering how late into august the decision came. I understand if he is the best option available, he will play, but was the coaching staff looking at him when they brought him here to play this year, or were they counting on him not getting the waiver and he was seeing less first team reps.

I predict he red shirts but plays 4 games. Red shirting him gives us True FR / SO/ JR / SR / SR next year at QB. Spreads out the guys pretty evenly. Which is what Brown talked about. Also don't be surprised if someone transfers out at the end of the season.

Good thing is there's talented depth at QB for the first time in 8 or more years.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Agree that someone will transfer out at the end of this season. Not too sure that Doege will red shirt. Too much game experience. In addition if Lowe gets buried on the depth chart I look for him to focus on baseball going forward.

Never enough good arms. Good news! He might not get the reps if Brown wants to play it safe but ya never know.

Agree that someone will transfer out at the end of this season. Not too sure that Doege will red shirt. Too much game experience. In addition if Lowe gets buried on the depth chart I look for him to focus on baseball going forward.

If he doesn't red shirt we will have the same issue as under Holgorson. We will end up on the short end of QB's.

I think the plan all along has been to redshirt Doege. All the reasons listed above - arriving later, health, depth chart, all tie into it. May see him here or there in some mop-up action but even then I wouldn't count on it.

Will certainly make for an interesting QB competition next spring.

I predict he red shirts but plays 4 games. Red shirting him gives us True FR / SO/ JR / SR / SR next year at QB. Spreads out the guys pretty evenly. Which is what Brown talked about. Also don't be surprised if someone transfers out at the end of the season.

Good thing is there's talented depth at QB for the first time in 8 or more years.

Allen, your post sounds familiar. I posted the exact thing, even the spacing between the years on another site about 2 hours before your post.
https://bluegoldnews.com/forums/topic/doege-eligible-for-2019-wvu-season/
Great minds think alike. ;););)

I don't know that Lowe is or will be buried in the depth chart. Would think that he has a decent shot at getting on the field behind Kendall. All indications are that Allison has to fight for that backup slot with Lowe. Thinking is that it's the plan for Doege to RS and get the necessary experience in a NB system. Allison and Lowe are both capable of handling the backup slot. Things could change quickly if Kendall goes down for an extended time with injury. Think L'vlle a few years ago when they went thru 5 QB's. Glad to have the depth we have now.

If he doesn't red shirt we will have the same issue as under Holgorson. We will end up on the short end of QB's.
I never liked the way Holgs handled QB's and their recruiting. Always had depth problems. Same goes for the way he recruited DL and OL. Numbers were always thin there too. And this comes from a Holgs supporter. [thumbsup]

I never liked the way Holgs handled QB's and their recruiting. Always had depth problems. Same goes for the way he recruited DL and OL. Numbers were always thin there too. And this comes from a Holgs supporter. [thumbsup]

I know what you mean. This happens from going JC and Grad recruits, Those are fine but when you get 7 to 10 it puts an overload of grads in the same year leaving you short handed and always having to go JC route.

Brown has 4 to 5 freshman playing in the backfield on the defense. This might hurt this season but gives you time to make some depth.

I don't know that Lowe is or will be buried in the depth chart. Would think that he has a decent shot at getting on the field behind Kendall. All indications are that Allison has to fight for that backup slot with Lowe. Thinking is that it's the plan for Doege to RS and get the necessary experience in a NB system. Allison and Lowe are both capable of handling the backup slot. Things could change quickly if Kendall goes down for an extended time with injury. Think L'vlle a few years ago when they went thru 5 QB's. Glad to have the depth we have now.

Oklahoma State did the same several years ago of going thru 5 QB's and Baylor lost all their QB's one season and had a RB at QB for their bowl game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT