ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Oklahoma

How long will you give Greene before you start bitching like a little girl?

1 game, 2 games.

Our fans are the worst fans in college football.
It's either incompetent quarterback play or incompetent playing calling by HSJW NB. Your choice.

1 game, 2 games.

WVU Fans are the best in the country. Speak for yourself Karen. If you dont know where I stand on the QB issue, you never will, but one thing is for certain, you dont have good reading comprehension at all.

Reactions: Rootmaster

1 game, 2 games.

One could argue the old adage of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result." There are flaws on this team and plenty of mistakes from drops, poor O-line play, bad vision by the RB's, missed tackles/assignments on defense, etc... However the QB position makes more of the game defining mistakes and severely limits what the offense can do. Specifically with Doege the defense can ignore the RPO, rush the outside as Doege only occasionally steps up in the pocket, never worry about a scramble for more than 5 yards when dropping into coverage, don't worry about tight coverage beyond 15 yards ... I'm sure there are at least a few more. Doege has the height of a QB, but that's about it. His arm is average, his accuracy on the deep ball (specifically vertical routes as opposed to deep outs) is awful, accuracy on short passes is average, decision making is average at best (better at not forcing a throw, but horrible at pocket presence and not taking a sack/retreating to make the loss even worse), and he doesn't progress through his reads well. Could Greene be worse? Absolutely. I'll admit the OU game was more competitive than I thought it would be going in, but it seemed more on OU playing worse than expected and the WVU defense playing overall well rather than the WVU offense improving.

All that to say, Greene must be woefully bad in practice to not have more upside than Doege. If that is the case, then the argument isn't settled on Doege being the default guy the rest of the year. It just shifts to, do we give Crowder reps so we can develop him into a potential starter or at least reasonable competition for Nicco (sp?).

Reactions: Rootmaster
One could argue the old adage of "the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result." There are flaws on this team and plenty of mistakes from drops, poor O-line play, bad vision by the RB's, missed tackles/assignments on defense, etc... However the QB position makes more of the game defining mistakes and severely limits what the offense can do. Specifically with Doege the defense can ignore the RPO, rush the outside as Doege only occasionally steps up in the pocket, never worry about a scramble for more than 5 yards when dropping into coverage, don't worry about tight coverage beyond 15 yards ... I'm sure there are at least a few more. Doege has the height of a QB, but that's about it. His arm is average, his accuracy on the deep ball (specifically vertical routes as opposed to deep outs) is awful, accuracy on short passes is average, decision making is average at best (better at not forcing a throw, but horrible at pocket presence and not taking a sack/retreating to make the loss even worse), and he doesn't progress through his reads well. Could Greene be worse? Absolutely. I'll admit the OU game was more competitive than I thought it would be going in, but it seemed more on OU playing worse than expected and the WVU defense playing overall well rather than the WVU offense improving.

All that to say, Greene must be woefully bad in practice to not have more upside than Doege. If that is the case, then the argument isn't settled on Doege being the default guy the rest of the year. It just shifts to, do we give Crowder reps so we can develop him into a potential starter or at least reasonable competition for Nicco (sp?).
The center seemed to make 3 huge mistakes that cost points in the OU game. It's not 1 individual, 1 side of the ball or 1 coach. All take blame. It's a team sport. Everybody praises the defense but that same D that played great all night had OU at their own 7 and couldn't stop them.

1 game, 2 games.

The back up qb is always the answer with these folks until its proven otherwise. The oline is better than it was in NB 1st year but still needs work. The receivers are getting better but still drop the ball when it hits them in the arms and number. In general things are moving north but some of these dumbasses think wvu is Alabama. Most experts had us around 6-6 this season I didn't see anyone picking this team to win a championship.

ADVERTISEMENT