ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia football at Oklahoma State

Their backup QB sucks and is the real reason OSU hasnt put up 40.

We win lol!!! Again we win in spite of Brown, not because of him.

Great W today. This team could have accomplished a lot more this year but I’ll take a W today.

That said, what do we think we will accomplish bringing a receiver in the backfield pre-snap and continually running the ball? We had one series that I called every play that we ran. If Brown does come back, he either needs to give Harrell full control or find a new OC bc this offense scheme is trash.

Yay! We win the "who cares" game. Now we can take what we learned about Jaylen Anderson and Nicco to help us develop a plan for next year. Unless Neal is the coach because he would squander the talent. Or a new coach is hired that can't use them in their scheme. Or they hit the transfer portal. So, yeah maybe there is a small chance this game is relevant to the team next year. Yippee!

Reactions: WVUALLEN
A win is a win. 5-7, bay-bee. Hey, it ain't 10-2, but OTOH it's better than 4-8.

By the looks of it, HCNB is coming back in 2023. Let's accept it and not be constant complainers.

One thing for sure, WVU had better somehow greatly improve its pass defense in 2023. If not for some bad passes and some missed catches on good passes by OSU today, WVU would have lost by three touchdowns today.

What's the 2023 QB status? My guess is the JTD will move on and that GG and NM will battle it out for starter in 2023. GG is a really good runner but a so-so passer and what we saw happen today (injury) is a real possibility with him in there. Dunno about NM yet. He looked okay today for a true frosh. A couple long passes he threw too long, otherwise it could have been way better.

GG has the most experience and NM is the big name recruit so that kinda leaves Crowder lost in the shuffle. But IIRC he played really well in the 2022 Spring game. The fact that NM played ahead of him today tells me he's #3 (assuming JTD leaves), which makes me think he may seek greener pastures in 2023.

Reactions: jlaudiomaster
Yay! We win the "who cares" game. Now we can take what we learned about Jaylen Anderson and Nicco to help us develop a plan for next year. Unless Neal is the coach because he would squander the talent. Or a new coach is hired that can't use them in their scheme. Or they hit the transfer portal. So, yeah maybe there is a small chance this game is relevant to the team next year. Yippee!
Only reason this game has meaning is because it's first time since being in Big 12 that we beat both Oklahoma schools in same year.

I love winning, but make no mistake, if OSU's #1 QB was starting they wouldve scored 40+. We were only in this game because injuries forced Neal to play his best players and injuries forced Gundy to play his worst.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
We are not a good football team - no doubt about it. But weird to think we'd be bowling (6-6) if we hadn't blown the Pitt game.
Yes and more specifically, if the WR had caught a perfect pass that hit him in the chest, this team would be 6-6 and bowling. Very weird.

We are not a good football team - no doubt about it. But weird to think we'd be bowling (6-6) if we hadn't blown the Pitt game.
It still frosts my ass that HCNB chose to punt near mid-field in that game with 4th and a foot or so to go.

In Fairness, we also played our 3rd string true freshman QB and won. Neither team had their best on the field.
You gotta love these types of posts. If they would have had their 1st string qb they would have scored 40 blah blah blah. Does that 1st string qb also play defense. They could have used him to stop anderson from running all over their a$$.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
You gotta love these types of posts. If they would have had their 1st string qb they would have scored 40 blah blah blah. Does that 1st string qb also play defense. They could have used him to stop anderson from running all over their a$$.
TBH if Sanders was playing they probably wouldve scored 40. Huge, huge difference playing a QB headed to the NFL vs playing a true freshman with no experience. Gota love the folks who cant see thagt kind of stuff.

And their starting DL took a huge hit too. We were not playing their full strength DL at all. Neal admitted as much when he said the game plan was to run, to expose a weakness in their defense because of injury to their DL.

It was a good win, but 24 points being enough to win a game in the B12 is very rare to say the least. But hey, hats off to Neral Brown for such an amazing feat. The dude won a game lol.

TBH if Sanders was playing they probably wouldve scored 40. Huge, huge difference playing a QB headed to the NFL vs playing a true freshman with no experience. Gota love the folks who cant see thagt kind of stuff.

And their starting DL took a huge hit too. We were not playing their full strength DL at all. Neal admitted as much when he said the game plan was to run, to expose a weakness in their defense because of injury to their DL.

It was a good win, but 24 points being enough to win a game in the B12 is very rare to say the least. But hey, hats off to Neral Brown for such an amazing feat. The dude won a game lol.
Good teams have depth and can absorb losses. It still didn't change the fact that our O line physically dominated them. You can make all the excuses you want but we ran all over them. The fact is Okie state isn't that good. we aren't the only team that exposed them this season. They lost 5 games. One thing for certain is wvu has more qb depth than Okie state has at this point.

I don't think it's fair to put that win down to luck because luck goes both ways. 99% of the time the WVU WR catches that ball that hit him in the chest vs Pitt that ended up a Pick Six. It's bad luck that in a year when the pass defense was so bad our best DB got hurt then crapped out on us. Yadda, yadda. But regardless of all that, the outcome is the outcome.

5-7 is 5-7. The pressure is one for 2023. And I don't know what the conference schedule will be like in 2023, but the OOC schedule will be tougher, with essentially 10-2 Penn State replacing 3-8 Virginia Tech (while Pitt and a gimme remain).

Good teams have depth and can absorb losses. It still didn't change the fact that our O line physically dominated them. You can make all the excuses you want but we ran all over them. The fact is Okie state isn't that good. we aren't the only team that exposed them this season. They lost 5 games. One thing for certain is wvu has more qb depth than Okie state has at this point.
No excuses, I just know from all of our time in the B12 that 24 points usually isnt enough to win, but under the circumstances, it was. I also know that good QBs pick us apart and we were lucky not to have to face one yesterday. Honestly I was really happy to see Neal ditch his weak passing offense and go run heavy. It was probably the smartest decision he's made since he's been here. But that doesnt change the fact that we should be a way better team, and he isnt the right coach to get us where we should be. Beating OSU doesnt make up for not being able to crack 5 wins in the regular season in 4 years.

We need a balanced offense and thus in addition to having the QBs develop, we need some good WRs next year. I don't know who is coming back next year. I'm not sure what we'll get in the portal. We do have a very good WR coming in as a freshman next year from nearby Uniontown, PA, assuming/hoping he doesn't flip his commitment. The OL and RBs seem to be offensive strengths in 2023.

ADVERTISEMENT