ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia football adds DL transfer Hawkins

I know Owen Schmitt came from a lowly D3 school and became a legend, but that was with a staff that knew how to run a team. So it looks like we are just plugging holes with low potential bodies with a staff that has proven to be a poor judge of talent and poor at maximizing the talent that is available. Brown is a deadman walking and this program is just a lame duck as long as he is around. Gee and Lyons are both stupid as hell.

I know Owen Schmitt came from a lowly D3 school and became a legend, but that was with a staff that knew how to run a team. So it looks like we are just plugging holes with low potential bodies with a staff that has proven to be a poor judge of talent and poor at maximizing the talent that is available. Brown is a deadman walking and this program is just a lame duck as long as he is around. Gee and Lyons are both stupid as hell.
Better than nobody at all. Fill the holes and let the next guy coach them up.

This is the same staff that recruited CJ Donaldson, Charles Woods, Nicco Marchiol, Akeem Messidor, Wyatt Milum, Zach Frazier, Doug Nestor, and Jordan Jefferson. I don’t think hey are terrible at evaluating talent. That said, We have had too many misses where the coaches give up on a player and they end up at D2 school. But I think we’d be ok if we could figure out how to keep more of the ones we want. And get more active bringing in immediate help from the portal and JUCOs.

This is the same staff that recruited CJ Donaldson, Charles Woods, Nicco Marchiol, Akeem Messidor, Wyatt Milum, Zach Frazier, Doug Nestor, and Jordan Jefferson. I don’t think hey are terrible at evaluating talent. That said, We have had too many misses where the coaches give up on a player and they end up at D2 school. But I think we’d be ok if we could figure out how to keep more of the ones we want. And get more active bringing in immediate help from the portal and JUCOs.
Would start with getting rid of some defensive coaches and the O-line coach. Plus hire a real OC. You know one that does not have to answer to Neal Brown. Kind of like they did for Gibson when he was Holgorsen DC.

Would start with getting rid of some defensive coaches and the O-line coach. Plus hire a real OC. You know one that does not have to answer to Neal Brown. Kind of like they did for Gibson when he was Holgorsen DC.
Don’t really know how to get HCNB to really give up his control of the offense. Totally agree its needed for his own good. As for coaching changes, our defensive backfield seemed to be lost all year and it never got better. Injuries and attrition certainly didn’t help. And I have still not gotten over losing Koenig. Guess I’m just stuck in the past.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Spoken like a Rhodes Scholar and Mensa graduate. That is "LIKE" not "AS". More likely a College FLUNK OUT after failing Logic 101. I am willing to bet you also consider yourself a Mountaineer Fan--Such a joke! You demonstrate that you have neither an understanding of what a fan is nor how to apply radon and logic to a situation. That then translates to "LOSER".

The results on the field are trash. Therefore at least one of the following is true:

1. Those are far too few "central role" players to get decent results and the coaching staff is not able to bring in the amount of talent needed.

2. If 1 isn't true and that is a reasonable amount of "central role" players, then the supporting role players are woefully inadequate.

3. If neither 1 or 2 is true and they are bringing in enough talented central role as well as supporting role players, the staff is doing a terrible job of utilizing that talent pool.

It's got to be at least one. I think it is some of each hence Brown and staff are doing a poor job bringing in the talent and a poor job of utilizing that talent.

Spoken like a Rhodes Scholar and Mensa graduate. That is "LIKE" not "AS". More likely a College FLUNK OUT after failing Logic 101. I am willing to bet you also consider yourself a Mountaineer Fan--Such a joke! You demonstrate that you have neither an understanding of what a fan is nor how to apply radon and logic to a situation. That then translates to "LOSER".

Mensa is not an organization you "graduate" from.

There is no class called logic 101.

Your critique of my use of "as" instead of "like" is not accurate. First, proper English grammar does not favor one over the other when making this specific comparison. Second, even if the former statement were true, it is a colloquial saying in common parlance to add "as hell" to a descriptor. Therefore it would still be the most accurate form.

I am a Mountaineer Fan, and have been for over 30 years, as well as a graduate with 2 degrees from WVU. I'm fairly confident being a WVU fan does not require a hive mind with everyone sharing the same opinion of everyone working at the institution.

I am sure that "radon" is a typo and you meant reason. I'll not slink to using that as cudgel directly against your intelligence. However, I will say that if you are going to arrogantly admonish someone about your own intellectual superiority, it would be wise to proof read. Also it is unnessecarily redundant to use words with the same meaning, in the context you have used, such as logic and reason.

Lastly, I'll leave you to take this post as an example. I clearly addressed and refuted the claims you made as well as the reasoning behind my refutations and/or disagreements with your opinion. I did not just throw pejorative statements and claim myself to be right because I just do not like your opinion. Anyone reading our posts will know this one is not from the intellectually deficient of the two posters.

All I know is we have sucked or as the the Rhode Scholar would say failed miserably to meet expectations.

The results on the field are trash. Therefore at least one of the following is true:

1. Those are far too few "central role" players to get decent results and the coaching staff is not able to bring in the amount of talent needed.

2. If 1 isn't true and that is a reasonable amount of "central role" players, then the supporting role players are woefully inadequate.

3. If neither 1 or 2 is true and they are bringing in enough talented central role as well as supporting role players, the staff is doing a terrible job of utilizing that talent pool.

It's got to be at least one. I think it is some of each hence Brown and staff are doing a poor job bringing in the talent and a poor job of utilizing that talent.
Well, what you are describing is not nearly dynamic enough. Some good and some marginal talent is coming in every year. But they are also losing players at a certain rate each year. So if we bring in CJ Donaldson and Zach Frazier in subsequent classes, we may not move ahead enough to compensate for the loss of Dreshun Miller and Akeem Messidor. And no, it doesn’t matter that our gains and losses are at different positions. If we don’t get and stay strong at all positions each year, then we’ll have glaring weaknesses and we will get exploited and lose. Add unexpected injuries to the losses from the portal flow out and perhaps the dynamics will sink in. Building a complete roster is going to be the challenge, specially when a foundation player decides he wants to leave the program.

Well, what you are describing is not nearly dynamic enough. Some good and some marginal talent is coming in every year. But they are also losing players at a certain rate each year. So if we bring in CJ Donaldson and Zach Frazier in subsequent classes, we may not move ahead enough to compensate for the loss of Dreshun Miller and Akeem Messidor. And no, it doesn’t matter that our gains and losses are at different positions. If we don’t get and stay strong at all positions each year, then we’ll have glaring weaknesses and we will get exploited and lose. Add unexpected injuries to the losses from the portal flow out and perhaps the dynamics will sink in. Building a complete roster is going to be the challenge, specially when a foundation player decides he wants to leave the program.

In any event, my post that you first responded to was about how, on paper, it appears we are bringing in lesser players than we are losing. And if that proves to be true on the field, then it is dire as we have seen how poor the results are on the field with the Millers', Mesidors', Woods', etc...

It is objectively true that WVU is performing poorly in football. That must mean that the program is not recruiting talented enough players, not retaining enough talented players, and/or not effectively using the talented players the program does have. Ultimately it is the responsibility of the head coach to get results and either correct all these deficiencies or find a way to compensate for those deficiencies to get competitive results. It is understanbly a very hard job and the landscape change has made it even harder. But that is the job and why the compensation is so lucrative.

Expectations should be high for a guy making at least 75 times the average WVU fan's yearly household income.

Reactions: JWG66
Expectations should be high for the players too. Really, they are becoming semi pros.

Pay all the players $50,000.00 a year put it in a trust fund. If they transfer they lose it, if they don't graduate they lose it.

By the time they geaduate they have something to build on. All of them are not making the pros.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT