ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia continuing to think outside the box in European recruiting

Do we really know what kind of talent is in Europe or is it more of a gamble than it is the US?

Reactions: Rootmaster
Do we really know what kind of talent is in Europe or is it more of a gamble than it is the US?

Talent isn't the issue, more times it's refining it. This program has really helped to cut a lot of that out and get these kids more prepared. I know seeing the two in camp last year, they looked like upper level high school players that really performed well.

Talent isn't the issue, more times it's refining it. This program has really helped to cut a lot of that out and get these kids more prepared. I know seeing the two in camp last year, they looked like upper level high school players that really performed well.

Thanks for the answer. Appreciate it.

I know the Mormons are trying to get football programs set up in Ghana and even Nigeria.
Truthfully both of those counties have the ability to create a lot of NFL.
They are one of the reasons for the popularity of football in the Pacific Islands.
Ansah didn't play much football before he went to BYU.

Europe is a little farther along. A lot of schools are looking towards there.

I know the group that came over last year included a Dutch LB that a lot of schools are paying attention to.

Last edited:
ebb85ff6075427e654405717b38ffb74.jpg

Isn't refining the talent the issue with most prospects?

Isn't refining the talent the issue with most prospects?

To a degree, but so many of those European kids are really behind the curve. So many of them look like a million bucks but can't play, this isn't the case with this group because I watched them in person last year.

It's tough for some of these rating services to put a good number on these guys because of the lack of film against better talent. Looking at film or watching in person camps and workouts can be problematic.
It will be interesting to see what rating these guys put on Vesterinen and if they change Wilkstroms rating.

Stupid going after foreign project players and over looking American kids because the kid down the street cant run quite as fast or jump quite as high. Scholarships and sports have gotten stupid and totally self serving.

“A lot of kids out here talk about Big 12 because they want to get tested, play in a similar system. I don’t think that’s going to be an issue translating over at all. If anything, it’s going to be in his wheelhouse since that’s kind of what he’s used to.”

This is from Adam Gorney talking about a California recruit.

Their high schools are doing a very good job at translating to the style football is played at as well.
I expect California to peak again producing talent like it did 15-25 years ago.

I'll take the best available athlete and if that means overseas then yes take them. The kid down the street if he is not as talented, doesn't jump as high or is slower then he can walk on.

Stupid going after foreign project players and over looking American kids because the kid down the street cant run quite as fast or jump quite as high. Scholarships and sports have gotten stupid and totally self serving.
Root, I agree ..... We need to take more kids that can't run, jump, catch or throw. Screw the overseas recruits. Screw the out of state recruits. We need to take kids that are close to home.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
ADVERTISEMENT