ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball vs. Stony Brook

I hope so too but it always seems like we stumble a bit with these type teams. Either way should most definitely be a win.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
They were talking about the cold front moving through, I didn't think they were talking about WVU shooting.

Look asleep right now
What's amazing is when teams like this play a zone against us, we look confused because we can't bang and bump our way to the basket. These games should be ones that Stevenson should be drooling for.......he should have 30 points.

EDIT: And when they switch to man defense, we start forcing up shots that we should take when they play zone. Just completely out of sync right now.

Last edited:
What's amazing is when teams like this play a zone against us, we look confused because we can't bang and bump our way to the basket. These games should be ones that Stevenson should be drooling for.......he should have 30 points.
When they stand around watching it makes it difficult to score. Nobody from either wants to be here.

Only think good about that 1st half is...........IT IS FINALLY OVER. I'm sure the halftime discussion will be nice.

When they stand around watching it makes it difficult to score. Nobody from either wants to be here.
Definitely the worst half I've seen this year. We run horrible half court offense, and have for a while now, but it gets really noticeable when we attempt to slow it down by looking like we are running offense, when we are only standing around, passing, and not making any true basketball move to score until less than 8 seconds on the shot clock.

And on defense, we have yet to figure out how to defend the high ball screen offenses of other teams. Last game it was the Buffalo big man slipping to the basket for easy dunks. This game its the freshman guard hitting three balls as we go under or around the screen.

Definitely the worst half I've seen this year. We run horrible half court offense, and have for a while now, but it gets really noticeable when we attempt to slow it down by looking like we are running offense, when we are only standing around, passing, and not making any true basketball move to score until less than 8 seconds on the shot clock.

And on defense, we have yet to figure out how to defend the high ball screen offenses of other teams. Last game it was the Buffalo big man slipping to the basket for easy dunks. This game its the freshman guard hitting three balls as we go under or around the screen.
Disagree. We've been running very good halfcourt offense this year. Until this game.

Reactions: locustwv
They're playing a 3-2 zone defense leaving those 2 bigs in the back stationary.

It’s obvious they thought they were gonna run over this team and now they need to wake up!!!

Let's not forget we are without Matthews again. I'm convinced he's the main piece on this years team. He is not replaceable.

Bell seems to have issues facing 7 footers no matter if they're good or bad.

Last edited:
Watching Bell makes me appreciate Derek Culver even more. Culver never had a problem facing anyone. If he wanted the ball on the block, he made sure he got the ball on the block. If he wanted a rebound, he made sure he got the rebound. Culver was a stud.

Looking like a Buffalo repeat. Blowout at end. Huggs went to 4 guards and Wague. Stony Brook couldn't handle it.

Also have out rebounded them 15-6 and that Policelli guy only has 2 this half.

Why don't we play Tre Mitchell with the small lineup (4 guards) instead of the rotation of Bell/Wague/Okankwo? It would give us a better scoring option.

This team could learn when you’re up 16 points with 6 minutes left, no reason to Jack 3s with 20+ seconds left on the shot clock. We can get that type of shot anytime. Value the clock.

Looking like a Buffalo repeat. Blowout at end. Huggs went to 4 guards and Wague. Stony Brook couldn't handle it.

Also have out rebounded them 15-6 and that Policelli guy only has 2 this half.
Not a blowout now. A couple of stupid shots and Globetrotter passes and stupid fouls.............this is that game where if you were a coach you just want it to be over.

This team could learn when you’re up 16 points with 6 minutes left, no reason to Jack 3s with 20+ seconds left on the shot clock. We can get that type of shot anytime. Value the clock.
Or no reason to be up-in-your-face defense at 40 feet and foul to send team to FT line when up that margin.

I agree it’s a win but DAMN!!

I second that emotion of "Damn!"

WVU beat Stony Brook by 11.

Florida beat Stony Brook by 36!
Florida International beat Stony Brook by 33!
Eastern Washington beat Stony Brook by 29!
Bryant beat Stony Brook by 19.
Hell, even Brown beat Stony Brook by 11.

Surely WVU has more talent than Brown, Florida International, Eastern Washington and Bryant.

Disappointing performance. Big 12 licking its chops.

Silver linings in a dark, cloudy game:

18-21 85.7% free throw shooting by Huggins’ team.

Johnson, Toussaint and, of course, Stevenson in double figures.
Stevenson best all-phases player on team with his 3-point and jump shots, on-floor coaching ability, rebounding, free throws for the season. Erik has the total game.

Can’t mail it in against Big 12 and Auburn. Time to step up EVERY second of every game from tipoff to final horn!

Talent of 7 strangers is there. Can’t let up on offense and defense for one second, though.

Disappointing tonight. Lesson learned for 11 of remaining games against Top 25 teams, all but 1 in Big 12.

Time for chemistry and coordinated effort to go with all the individual talent that came to Morgantown because they wanted to play for Hall of Famer Bob Huggins.

I second that emotion of "Damn!"

WVU beat Stony Brook by 11.

Florida beat Stony Brook by 36!
Florida International beat Stony Brook by 33!
Eastern Washington beat Stony Brook by 29!
Bryant beat Stony Brook by 19.
Hell, even Brown beat Stony Brook by 11.

Surely WVU has more talent than Brown, Florida International, Eastern Washington and Bryant.

Disappointing performance. Big 12 licking its chops.

Silver linings in a dark, cloudy game:

18-21 85.7% free throw shooting by Huggins’ team.

Johnson, Toussaint and, of course, Stevenson in double figures.
Stevenson best all-phases player on team with his 3-point and jump shots, on-floor coaching ability, rebounding, free throws for the season. Erik has the total game.

Can’t mail it in against Big 12 and Auburn. Time to step up EVERY second of every game from tipoff to final horn!

Talent of 7 strangers is there. Can’t let up on offense and defense for one second, though.

Disappointing tonight. Lesson learned for 11 of remaining games against Top 25 teams, all but 1 in Big 12.

Time for chemistry and coordinated effort to go with all the individual talent that came to Morgantown because they wanted to play for Hall of Famer Bob Huggins.
But we can CLAIM 1st right? Or in your mind does Florida get 1st?

Always someone who likes to toss barbs rather than exchange information about my belove alma mater. Merry Christmas, Scrooge!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT