ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball vs. Kansas State

Thought WVU looked good in 2nd half and used their defense to kick ass.

I enjoy wins and don't care what they look like.

I bet Texas and OU wish they had won today.

I wasn't as disappointed as some of you. Since I had a fantastic family gathering that included 3 great-grandchildren I recorded the game, then watched it WITH THE SOUND OFF which makes it far more enjoyable for me. I know what I'm seeing after making a living writing about it for 2 decades and the announcers' prattle is irritating me more and more as I become a dinosaur. Granted, Kansas State is one of the worst teams in the Big 12, but:

1. Rapid whipping passes from player to player to player, putting K-State defenders out of position, was greatly improved. Sharper, crisper passing, too. Less dribbling.
2. And 3, as I call Osabuohien so I don't have to remember how to spell his name that has too many vowels for my brain to handle, continues to be more and more vital to this team, without putting up a ton of points. He's the best we have at getting the ball to the open man because he LOOKS for the open man better than the other players so he makes every player on the team a better scorer when he's in there. And when he becomes the 2nd man in a double-team trap, his size and energy frazzle the ballhandlers. His rebounding is opportunistic. If he improves next season he won't be a Derek Culver, which Bob Hertzel calls the best rebounder in WVU history, but he will be of great value to the team.
3. Delighted to see McCabe have an outstanding game. He has made me more nervous than the other guards when he has the ball this season. Last season I thought he was going to be the #1 WVU guard this season. Didn't happen. But always happy to see one of Huggins Heroes having a good game.
4. It's a great season to be a Mountaineer!
5. Bring on Baylor, even if they are dinged by Kansas, on Tuesday in Morgantown!

ADVERTISEMENT