ADVERTISEMENT

GAME THREAD West Virginia basketball vs. Iowa State

Keenan Cummings

Fact Based and Wonderful
Staff
Sep 16, 2007
Game will tip-off at 7 p.m. Wednesday night and be televised by ESPN2.

It's simple. Win or your out. Elimination has begun for teams like WVU.

WVU tries to win 2 in a row in Big 12 for first time this season at 7 pm Wednesday against Iowa State on ESPN2.

I think Iowa State may be the #1 team in the Big 12 although Kansas, when its passing game is in high gear, is awesome, too.

Averaging just 14.4 minutes per game, Seth Wilson is second in made 3-pointers for WVU with 28. Half of his threes this year have come in Big 12 play.

Iowa State is 6-2 against AP Top 25 teams this year. West Virginia is 2-4. Let's make it 3-4!!!!

Iowa State is 6-2 against AP Top 25 teams this year. West Virginia is 2-4. Let's make it 3-4!!!!
I'm showing WVU at 2-7 against top 25 teams.

Loss to Purdue
Loss to Xavier
Loss to Kansas State
Loss to Baylor
Win over TCU
Loss to Texas
Win over Auburn
Loss to TCU

Yes? No?

Reactions: KingCoal
They lose tonight their climb will be even steeper. They can't afford to go 3-5 or 2-6 in their final 8. They need 4-4 at the worst. 17 wins will be a tight fit especially if upsets happen. Committee will frown upon a final 6-12 conference record. The 7-11 will be a little easier.

They need to win out at home. A steal on the road would be tremendous. When the better teams start doubling Stevenson then somebody else needs to step up.

They lose tonight their climb will be even steeper. They can't afford to go 3-5 or 2-6 in their final 8. They need 4-4 at the worst. 17 wins will be a tight fit especially if upsets happen. Committee will frown upon a final 6-12 conference record. The 7-11 will be a little easier.

They need to win out at home. A steal on the road would be tremendous. When the better teams start doubling Stevenson then somebody else needs to step up.
A win against ISU would really be great for our resume, but won’t determine our ultimate fate. If we could beat Texas at Texas or Kansas at Kansas, those would probably be bigger deals. Also, whether or not we make the tournament depends to a great measure on how other schools at our level fare over the rest of the season.

Beating ISU will help us, but losing the the 11th ranked team doesn’t knock us out of the tournament.

Reactions: WVUBRU
A win against ISU would really be great for our resume, but won’t determine our ultimate fate. If we could beat Texas at Texas or Kansas at Kansas, those would probably be bigger deals. Also, whether or not we make the tournament depends to a great measure on how other schools at our level fare over the rest of the season.

Beating ISU will help us, but losing the the 11th ranked team doesn’t knock us out of the tournament.
Doesn't Hurt. Can't finish 2-6 or 3-5. Well 3-5 you could make an argument especially if you win one in Big 12 Tournament.

Doesn't Hurt. Can't finish 2-6 or 3-5. Well 3-5 you could make an argument especially if you win one in Big 12 Tournament.
Saw an analysis by a very smart person (not CFE) that stated WVU was 8-9 against the top 3 tiers, and a team with a losing record against the top 3 tiers has never made the tournament before. I think you're right about the finish. 4-4 is a must to finish out the regular season, unless of course, they win 1 or 2 in the conference tournament. A 2-6 finish would be a disaster though.

Winning a road game vs at home is a tall order. See what happened with the Oklahoma split or how we lost at Oklahoma State. So beating ISU at home is infinitely more doable than beating Texas or Kansas at their place. The latter WVU has never done. So Allen has a point in that WVU is unlikely to win any of it's last 4 road games as they are all against ranked opponent. Thus losing much more winnable home games is likely to put WVU in a tight spot to make up ground with the selection committee. You are right that beating Texas or Kansas on the road would be big resume boosters, but those wins are significantly less likely than beating ISU at home.

Winning a road game vs at home is a tall order. See what happened with the Oklahoma split or how we lost at Oklahoma State. So beating ISU at home is infinitely more doable than beating Texas or Kansas at their place. The latter WVU has never done. So Allen has a point in that WVU is unlikely to win any of it's last 4 road games as they are all against ranked opponent. Thus losing much more winnable home games is likely to put WVU in a tight spot to make up ground with the selection committee. You are right that beating Texas or Kansas on the road would be big resume boosters, but those wins are significantly less likely than beating ISU at home.
The point is, ISU isn’t a make or break game for two reasons:
1. We have other opportunities for a big win
2. We aren’t playing in isolation. Our competitors results impact our chances

Reactions: WVUBRU
They called a technical on toussant for talking but a coach just put his finger in Tre Mitchell’s face and no call.

This game is a war, slugfest, foul marathon. Call it whatever, but it's brutal.

Iowa State putting on a flopfest and getting the home whistle. Weird because the game is in Morgantown.

Why are these announcers Iowa State homers? Had to put them on mute

Iowa State putting on a flopfest and getting the home whistle. Weird because the game is in Morgantown.

Why are these announcers Iowa State homers? Had to put them on mute
Iowa State is NOT getting the home whistle.

Iowa State is NOT getting the home whistle.

You are wrong but I don’t care.

Anyways, if the officials had called just a couple the ISU flops this game would have been much easier on the eyes

So many emotions, a true Huggins special, feel like I’ve seen this game 20 times or so over the years. I guess we’re in decent shape even if our road woes continue. Sweep the home games and we’re in.

The point is, ISU isn’t a make or break game for two reasons:
1. We have other opportunities for a big win
2. We aren’t playing in isolation. Our competitors results impact our chances

But those other opportunities are much longer shots. Damn near miracles based upon WVU's road performance so far this year where a so-so Xavier team overcame a double digit deficit to beat us or a one legged TCU team beat us.

While it is technically true a loss here would not have broken the season, it would've made it a much more likely. For example 4 consecutive 3s on 4 possessions to end a basketball game or getting a TD followed by onside kick to score a 2nd TD to end a football game may result in a win. However those are low percentage outcomes for even the most talented team and converting much more manageable opportunities prior to that vastly increased the chance of success.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Ugly, but character-building team win. No WVU FG's in almost the last six minutes and still pulled it out.

WVU WENT ON A 6-0 RUN TO COME FROM BEHIND WITH THE LAST 6 POINTS IN THE GAME! AND WITH #1 SEASON SCORER STEVENSON, ON THE BENCH WITH 5 PERSONALS AFTER BEING BODYSLAMMED AND MAULED THROUGHOUT THE GAME!

Technical changed the momentum.
The technical was and typically is a massive game changer. 5 point swing after making a great play.

I played basketball in college and it makes me absolutely insane when someone makes a play and show boats. The ignorance of holding up three fingers and looking through a circle you make with your hand after you make a shot completely blows my mind. Act like you intentionally wanted to make it or thought you could.

A fantastic drive and score negated by flexing muscles running up and down the court staring at a player. He deserved a technical 100%.

Play the damn game

The technical was and typically is a massive game changer. 5 point swing after making a great play.

I played basketball in college and it makes me absolutely insane when someone makes a play and show boats. The ignorance of holding up three fingers and looking through a circle you make with your hand after you make a shot completely blows my mind. Act like you intentionally wanted to make it or thought you could.

A fantastic drive and score negated by flexing muscles running up and down the court staring at a player. He deserved a technical 100%.

Play the damn game

As a “less skilled” former basketball player, I always felt basketball was an emotional game, and doing things like talking shit always seemed to fire up the opposition more than it got in their head IMO, especially when playing a better opponent.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
WVU WENT ON A 6-0 RUN TO COME FROM BEHIND WITH THE LAST 6 POINTS IN THE GAME! AND WITH #1 SEASON SCORER STEVENSON, ON THE BENCH WITH 5 PERSONALS AFTER BEING BODYSLAMMED AND MAULED THROUGHOUT THE GAME!
They were down 1 point and had just blown their own 6 point lead of 68-62 from 5:55 to 1:25 to fall behind 71-70. That translates into a 9-2 ISU run. Oh and body slammed is 2 words. Both teams were doing a lot of mauling and slamming of their own. First time I've seen WVU play physical enough to win a game.

Play the damn game
I've seen a lot worse from other opponents and a call is never made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT