ADVERTISEMENT

WVSPORTS.COM West Virginia basketball gets defensive against Kansas State

Kansas State obviously is among the 3 bottom-feeders in the Big 12 with terrible ball-handling skills, which plays into the hands of the frenetic, non-stop, harassing, exhausting WVU defense. But I loved the way WVU played against Kansas State. Even in the first half, with the missed shots, the zipping, quick passes from player to player to player, which drove the Wildcats wild and caused open shots by Huggins Heroes (which they only made about 33% of in the first half), and with 3 (as I called Osabuohien, the player with more vowels in his name that personal fouls are allowed per person in a game) the best player in the the 1st half, I saw so many good things that will be valuable in March Madness. They aren't likely to miss that many open shots the rest of the way because Huggins uses transgressions to make his players better (with the supersonic treadmill helping him). I'm sorry Baylor lost to Kansas because I wanted WVU to draw first blood against the Bears this season and Kansas will come to Morgantown with a chip on its shoulder. It should be an epic showdown. Keep the gurney and paramedics handy!

I wouldn't exactly call this years WVU defense harassing and exhausting. But improvements have been shown in recent games minus the first half of Texas. Gabe is without a doubt our best defender. Especially in the drop point zone or zone match up. He is all over the place.

ADVERTISEMENT