ADVERTISEMENT

West Virginia baseball .

SECAggyFan

Freshman
Dec 20, 2017
Since we are only a month away from the start of baseball in the Big XII I want to know if there are any Mountaineer baseball fans.

I have followed college baseball since the late 70's.
There was once a time that baseball in Texas would begin in January and we would play almost 100 games a year.

This is a sport that a few of us in the Big XII care about and we are hoping that we can bring the same excitement to West Virginia.

Nothing better than having a rival in your ballpark and having the excitement of baseball.
It is such a personal setting unlike football.

I just wonder that West Virginia's weak non conference schedule will hurt them because best school they play is Coastal Carolina. Don't know if UNLV is any good but it seems like the schedule is loaded with lightweights.
They should be playing UVA, Carolina and Duke

Last edited:
Since we are only a month away from the start of baseball in the Big XII I want to know if there are any Mountaineer baseball fans.

There was once a time that baseball in Texas would begin in January and we would play almost 100 games a year.

This is a sport that a few of us in the Big XII care about and we are hoping that we can bring the same excitement to West Virginia.

Nothing better than having a rival in your ballpark and having the excitement of baseball.

I just wonder that West Virginia's weak non conference schedule will hurt them because best school they play is Coastal Carolina. Don't know if UNLV is any good but it seems like the schedule is loaded with lightweights.

So, you’re a sec Aggie fan and you have this passionate interest in WVU baseball?

ignore

They afEERed to play us.

Possibly as last year was West Virginia's first NCAA baseball apperance in twenty years.
I think this year they take another step and win a regional.
Quite possibly if they have an awesome season they could be hosting a NCAA regional

Texas Texas A&M in the same Regional was fun a few years ago.

Never seen a baseball game even in MLB that had the tension of that game.

Rice was even at the regional if I remember in 2014.

To answer the OP, the team making the tournament drew some excitement as that was their first bid in quite some time. We also recently upgraded a high school looking stadium to a nice single A park so even though it has been a long time since I was a student and living in Morgantown my understanding from this board is people do actually attend baseball games now. However I don’t think you will find a ton of diehard college baseball fans on this board, just WVU fans who will pay attention if WVU is having success.

To answer the OP, the team making the tournament drew some excitement as that was their first bid in quite some time. We also recently upgraded a high school looking stadium to a nice single A park so even though it has been a long time since I was a student and living in Morgantown my understanding from this board is people do actually attend baseball games now. However I don’t think you will find a ton of diehard college baseball fans on this board, just WVU fans who will pay attention if WVU is having success.

With the success of the basketball team right now that is hard but from what I have heard from people on here and from some of the West Virginia fans that frequent ShaggyTexas is that WVU is putting major resources into their baseball program and wants to contend.
Unlike football I think WVU admitted from the beginning that baseball was a huge step up.
I think we have seen the dividends of this last year and will see it this year even more.

Like us to be first class in all sports. It’s juust good for our brand. As for 2018, what do we have coming back for pitching?

Like us to be first class in all sports. It’s juust good for our brand. As for 2018, what do we have coming back for pitching?
http://wvusports.com/roster.aspx?path=baseball

Randy Mazey is a great coach. Someone that WVU identified and hired to turn the program around.
He has Texas ties so he has been able to recruit Texas.
Most telling sign of West Virginia is their pitching coach Dave Serrano.
He was considered one of the top coaches in CBaseball when he was at Cal St Fullerton and UC Irvine.
He made the mistake and took the job at Tennessee.
Tennessee cannot win at baseball because the fanbase doesn't support the sport against schools like Carolina, LSU, Arkansas and the Mississippi schools.
For WVU to hire him you know they were not playing around and it will help them the first year he is on the coaching staff. His Southern California connections are huge.
These two men have to stay in Morgantown for WVU to win and have success.

Last edited:
Last edited:

One of the first events I can recall watching on ESPN(other than dart championships) was the college world series with a room full of friends. I remember thinking that Roger Clemens from Texas is going to be pretty good.

One of the first events I can recall watching on ESPN(other than dart championships) was the college world series with a room full of friends. I remember thinking that Roger Clemens from Texas is going to be pretty good.

He was great in college and the pros.

UT has had many unbelievable pitchers but Clemens at Texas did not measure up to Burt Hooton.
Hooton suffered arm injuries but had a lot more movement on his pitches. Close to unhittable.

Look all the records he left with

ordsEdit
  • UT – Lowest ERA (min 100 IP), career (1.14)
  • UT – Lowest ERA (min 100 IP), season (0.88)
  • UT – Lowest opponent batting average (min 50 IP), season (0.136)
  • UT – Lowest opponent batting average (min 50 IP), career (0.158)
  • Southwest Conference & UT – Most shutouts, season (6), broke his own record, tied by Greg Swindell in 1985
  • UT – Most strikeouts, game (19), tied by Eric Stone in 1988
  • UT – Most strikeouts per nine innings pitched, season (14.15), broke his own record
  • UT – Most strikeouts per nine innings pitched, career (11.94), broke his own record
  • Southwest Conference & UT – Most no-hitters, season (2), tied Bobby Layne
  • Southwest Conference & UT – Most no-hitters, career (2), tied Bobby Layne, tied by James Street and Greg Swindell
  • UT – Lowest ERA (min 50 IP), season (0.88), surpassed by Kirk Killingsworth in 1982
  • UT – Most strikeouts, season (153), surpassed by Swindell in 1985
  • UT – Most strikeouts, career (386), surpassed by Swindell in 1986
  • UT – Best winning percentage, season (1.000, 12–0), surpassed by Rick Burley in 1974
  • UT – Fewest bases on balls per nine innings pitched, career (2.23), surpassed by Roger Clemens in 1983
  • UT – Most wins, career (35), surpassed by Jim Gideon in 1975
  • UT – Most complete games, career (24), surpassed by Richard Wortham in 1976
  • NCAA & UT – Most shutouts, career (13), surpassed by Swindell in 1985

Hooton still won 150 major league games and pitched a no hitter in his fourth major league start.

He was best known as the reliever for the Dodgers.
Was MVP of the 81 NLCS

Last edited:

Roger has been a fixture the last couple of years.
His youngest son is a junior this year but he has had injury issues and had to play DH
Should be starting 2B.
The UT middle infield is Strong.
Texas always has survived on pitching, defense, smart baseball and clutch hitting.
Disch-Falk is a big Park.

If the pitching returns they will be a force in the Big XII.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT