ADVERTISEMENT

Well, we ended up No. 20 in the final AP poll

Top 20 finish plus we got short a game.

Not the finish we all wanted but its undeniable DH has been doing a fine job.

Our talent this season wasnt any better than Oklahomas or other B12 temas at the top.

All th a$$holes can go ahead and characterize the season as a total failure now.

Waiting .....

I guess I'll be the first asshole to say that it's a big disappointment to lose 2 games when the team clearly had the ability to win both. Final rankings and preseason predictions be damned. After all the evidence was collected, it was clearly an underperformance for the team to lose both the ISU and OSU games. When it's the best team the coaching staff we had could muster in 8 seasons with practically no hope to do better the next 2 had they stayed, I'd call it a failure to deliver what was expected when this HC was hired.

Reactions: RAK
I guess I'll be the first asshole to say that it's a big disappointment to lose 2 games when the team clearly had the ability to win both. Final rankings and preseason predictions be damned. After all the evidence was collected, it was clearly an underperformance for the team to lose both the ISU and OSU games. When it's the best team the coaching staff we had could muster in 8 seasons with practically no hope to do better the next 2 had they stayed, I'd call it a failure to deliver what was expected when this HC was hired.

You’re right of course, the season’s a total failure, just like going 0-12. I was especially devastated by the moral losses against Tennessee and at UT, not to mention the total blowouts against OU and OSU.

We all wish we could have had the same measure of success as the powerhouse programs like FSU, VT, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Tennessee, Auburn, and BYU.

We haven’t won a national championship in football or basketball in what, 120 years? If we haven’t done it yet, we’ll never do it. Might as well just drop our disastrous major sports teams.

You’re right of course, the season’s a total failure, just like going 0-12. I was especially devastated by the moral losses against Tennessee and at UT, not to mention the total blowouts against OU and OSU.

We all wish we could have had the same measure of success as the powerhouse programs like FSU, VT, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Tennessee, Auburn, and BYU.

We haven’t won a national championship in football or basketball in what, 120 years? If we haven’t done it yet, we’ll never do it. Might as well just drop our disastrous major sports teams.

Where in my post did I mention anything close to your opening salvo of sentences? You just built a strawman to knock it down. You act as though being disappointed in the season is the same as thinking we are Kansas. Or are you saying that it is completely reasonable for WVU to have lost to OSU and ISU? If not, how can you say that fans being disappointed is equivalent to an 0-12 season.

You still have a Big East mentality.

West Virginia will never finish first or second for a five to six year stretch unless they start bringing in Top 15 classes.

West Virginia was considered a big name team this year.
Most of the conference has either the same amount of talent or more as West Virginia.

For that to happen WV needs to get deeper and better players.
Maybe Neal Brown is the guy.
Dana wasn't.

Unless you think that was WV at its peak I wouldn't be disappointed

Where in my post did I mention anything close to your opening salvo of sentences? You just built a strawman to knock it down. You act as though being disappointed in the season is the same as thinking we are Kansas. Or are you saying that it is completely reasonable for WVU to have lost to OSU and ISU? If not, how can you say that fans being disappointed is equivalent to an 0-12 season.

Don't listen to him. He typically has these meltdowns over anyone who doesn't think that WVU is the most amazing thing in life.

He's one of these old-heads that just accept mediocrity, most likely in life as well.

Amazingly, WVU was ranked No. 20 in the preseason, too, so from a national perspective, WVU met expectations. The over/under for WVU wins this season was set at 7 or 7.5 by betting entities, so WVU slightly exceeded expectations in this respect. If you want to blame anybody for unrealistically "raising the bar" for WVU's expected performance, then look no further than the West Virginia sports media, who predicted a 10-win season and a Big 12 championship game appearance. Brad Howe is probably still asking, "if not now, then when?"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/week/1/year/2018/seasontype/3

Reactions: wvchemteach
Amazingly, WVU was ranked No. 20 in the preseason, too, so from a national perspective, WVU met expectations. The over/under for WVU wins this season was set at 7 or 7.5 by betting entities, so WVU slightly exceeded expectations in this respect. If you want to blame anybody for unrealistically "raising the bar" for WVU's expected performance, then look no further than the West Virginia sports media, who predicted a 10-win season and a Big 12 championship game appearance. Brad Howe is probably still asking, "if not now, then when?"

http://www.espn.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1/week/1/year/2018/seasontype/3

Once again. Preseason speculation be damned. Seems many want to use preseason speculation as though it is a perfect or even decent reflection of how the season actually goes. Was WVU not favored in the ISU and OSU vegas lines? Seems Vegas is smart enough to change speculation as evidence is accumulated. OSU, TCU, and KSU all under preformed their Vegas preseason W/L over/under lines. So WVU is predicted at X number of wins because of presumed strength of schedule, that X number is still valid when the actual results on the field reveal a far weaker SOS than predicted? Using this logic, WVU fans should not be disappointed about losing to Pitt in 2007 since WVU was not predicted to be a championship caliber 1 loss team to start the season. Nor should tOSU be upset they lost to Perdue since going undefeated is a tall task in general, especially against MSU, UM, PSU, and the Big 10 title game. Ignore the fact that they did manage to win all their difficult games. None of that matters since preseason predictions trump everything. Can't be disappointed if those losses come against Kansas or Alabama. Can't be disappointed if the rest of the teams on the schedule are far worse than initially predicted. Can't be disappointed in a loss to 6-6 Okie State because they had a preseason top 25 ranking. WVU was capable of a better record this season and screwed the pooch by losing 2 games they undoubtedly had the ability to, and should have, won.

It’s not reasonable or unreasonable to lose to ISU and OSU on their home fields any more than it was reasonable or unreasonable for us to beat Texas on their home field, or for Alabama to get the snot knocked out of them in the national championship. The fact is, those things happened.

Another fact is, professionals who evaluate college football teams for a living thought WVU was the 20th best team in the country. I’d call that a successful season.

On the other hand, I don’t know you make your living, but it probably doesn’t involve evaluating the performance of college football teams. You think our season was a failure.

I’ll go with the folks who know what they’re talking about, thanks.

Once again. Preseason speculation be damned. Seems many want to use preseason speculation as though it is a perfect or even decent reflection of how the season actually goes. Was WVU not favored in the ISU and OSU vegas lines? Seems Vegas is smart enough to change speculation as evidence is accumulated. OSU, TCU, and KSU all under preformed their Vegas preseason W/L over/under lines. So WVU is predicted at X number of wins because of presumed strength of schedule, that X number is still valid when the actual results on the field reveal a far weaker SOS than predicted? Using this logic, WVU fans should not be disappointed about losing to Pitt in 2007 since WVU was not predicted to be a championship caliber 1 loss team to start the season. Nor should tOSU be upset they lost to Perdue since going undefeated is a tall task in general, especially against MSU, UM, PSU, and the Big 10 title game. Ignore the fact that they did manage to win all their difficult games. None of that matters since preseason predictions trump everything. Can't be disappointed if those losses come against Kansas or Alabama. Can't be disappointed if the rest of the teams on the schedule are far worse than initially predicted. Can't be disappointed in a loss to 6-6 Okie State because they had a preseason top 25 ranking. WVU was capable of a better record this season and screwed the pooch by losing 2 games they undoubtedly had the ability to, and should have, won.
I just presented the facts to you, Bell. To be honest, I thought that the WVU sports media overhyped WVU in the preseason, but understand completely why WVU fans would be upset with the losses, particularly the one to Oklahoma State. I don't fret about Ohio State's loss at Purdue because Ohio State wasn't good enough on defense to go 14-0, so the Buckeyes would have likely lost another game, if they hadn't lost to the Boilermakers.

Don't listen to him. He typically has these meltdowns over anyone who doesn't think that WVU is the most amazing thing in life.

He's one of these old-heads that just accept mediocrity, most likely in life as well.

Id probably disagree.

A truly successful person, with a quality life full of accomplishments and responsibility most likely doesnt waste their emotional investment and energy into worrying about the win/loss column of college football team. It would be unhealthy. I cheer for whatever team WVU puts on the field.

To the contrary, a person concerned that the performance of their favorite team is a personal reflection of themselves, is most definitely suffering from insecurity and low self-esteem.

Everyone who is a Clemson fan went back to their usual lives yesterday morning. As did Bama fan base. No one's lives were changed who were watching from home.

The success or failures of a particular football are not a reflection of anyone but the players playing the game and those with the authority over them.

Having a strong desire for your favorite team to win, does not indicate a strong desire to succeed in life, or a meter of personal ambition.

The universe of football fans is filled with die hards who really want their team to win, unfortunately it is also full of beer belching couch potatoes who just want something nice to happen to them, because they cant make anything nice happen for them.

I just presented the facts to you, Bell. To be honest, I thought that the WVU sports media overhyped WVU in the preseason, but understand completely why WVU fans would be upset with the losses, particularly the one to Oklahoma State. I don't fret about Ohio State's loss at Purdue because Ohio State wasn't good enough on defense to go 14-0, so the Buckeyes would have likely lost another game, if they hadn't lost to the Boilermakers.

I agree with you. That doesn't happen often. We were over hyped and by many fans. Even Vegas had us at 6 or 7 wins. Big 12 picking us 2nd did not help the over hyped.The loss that stumped me was Oklahoma State. No excuse for that one. I had predicted 8-4 at the start of the season. With Losses to Tennessee, NC State, ISU and Oklahoma.

Turned out Tenn. Sucked big time. Thought their D would be better than they were'nt. I knew Tenn. could not match us scoring but didn't know they couldn't score.

NC State was every bit as talented as WVU and this game would have been a shoot out. Had us losing due to road game. The game was not played.

ISU I knew the would be dangerous. Their defense was tough. Knew we had to score at least 24 to win. Well you saw that one.

OU well we never beat them. Even if our team is better we find a way to lose to them.

The bowl game I did not predict but when I saw it was SU. I thought yeas he should win that one. Then players started opting out and that was that.

It is totally reasonable WVU lost to OSU and ISU.

There is no way it is unreasonable.

We all knew our defense would struggle and we would have to our score people.

Nothing changed from day 1 until final rankings.

I agree with you. That doesn't happen often. We were over hyped and by many fans. Even Vegas had us at 6 or 7 wins. Big 12 picking us 2nd did not help the over hyped.The loss that stumped me was Oklahoma State. No excuse for that one. I had predicted 8-4 at the start of the season. With Losses to Tennessee, NC State, ISU and Oklahoma.

Turned out Tenn. Sucked big time. Thought their D would be better than they were'nt. I knew Tenn. could not match us scoring but didn't know they couldn't score.

NC State was every bit as talented as WVU and this game would have been a shoot out. Had us losing due to road game. The game was not played.

ISU I knew the would be dangerous. Their defense was tough. Knew we had to score at least 24 to win. Well you saw that one.

OU well we never beat them. Even if our team is better we find a way to lose to them.

The bowl game I did not predict but when I saw it was SU. I thought yeas he should win that one. Then players started opting out and that was that.

When you dont have an overwhelming talent advantage against your opponents, you're gonna lose games.

If you want to compete yearly, you need to have top talent every year, not every 4 years.

Oklahoma wins most of the team because each year they have the most talent. They have top 3 talent in the conference every year.

When we were winning in the Big East, thats what we had. Each season we had one of the most talented teams.

This season we had a talent advantage in only a few areas....mainly QB and WR.

Best 5 teams Oklahoma St played all year they went 4-1

Destroyed Boise St
Beat Texas
Loss to Oklahoma by 1 point
Beat WV
Beat Missouri.

Even if Oklahoma St was 7-6 they were able to beat almost every team in the country

Conference record 3-6 9th place.

If your playing the almost game WVU lost to OU by 3.It doesn't matter if it's 1 point or 60 points it's still a loss.

Okie State was 5-2 at home. That's why they finished 6-6 regular season.

It’s not reasonable or unreasonable to lose to ISU and OSU on their home fields any more than it was reasonable or unreasonable for us to beat Texas on their home field, or for Alabama to get the snot knocked out of them in the national championship. The fact is, those things happened.

Another fact is, professionals who evaluate college football teams for a living thought WVU was the 20th best team in the country. I’d call that a successful season.

On the other hand, I don’t know you make your living, but it probably doesn’t involve evaluating the performance of college football teams. You think our season was a failure.

I’ll go with the folks who know what they’re talking about, thanks.

Who are the folks who "know what they are talking about?" Seems to me there isn't a consensus amongst people who are paid to prognosticate and evaluate teams' performances. Some share your view and some share mine. "Professionals" in Vegas had us favored in 2 of our 3 losses. You don't have to agree, but you are wrong to childishly lump any WVU fans that think WVU had the opportunity and ability to do better as a bunch of morons equating this season to an 0-12, disaster of a season. WVU is a better than average team and worthy of a top 25 ranking. WVU was also capable of, and had more than a reasonable opportunity to, do better. 2 things can be true at the same time. I don't think even you would say WVU played like a top 20 team against ISU, OSU, and to a much lesser extent SU.

It works both ways.

There are games that WV won that they could have loss.

I am not a big fan of everything DH is about but there is not anything 100% horrible.
Dana has some pluses.

One of those was getting WV up for games.

But on the other end DH learn that from Mike Gundy.

Oklahoma St was ready for WV.
I don't care how great you think you are the margin of error is very small in this conference.

Even for Oklahoma and Texas with Top 10 recruiting classes.

When you dont have an overwhelming talent advantage against your opponents, you're gonna lose games.

If you want to compete yearly, you need to have top talent every year, not every 4 years.

Oklahoma wins most of the team because each year they have the most talent. They have top 3 talent in the conference every year.

When we were winning in the Big East, thats what we had. Each season we had one of the most talented teams.

This season we had a talent advantage in only a few areas....mainly QB and WR.

Maybe a few years without a bowl game will readjust WV's expectations.

Nothing wrong with having high expectations but they must fit into the reality of the situation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT