ADVERTISEMENT

Well this is stupid

EERs 3:16

Heisman Winner
Oct 17, 2001
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/e...cle_2b63512a-e4b1-54c5-8567-17595e27631b.html

Two classic American novels have been temporarily pulled from bookshelves in Accomack County Public Schools.

Media outlets report that earlier this month, a parent filed a complaint about "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" for their use of racial slurs.

Superintendent Chris Holland says the use of both novels in classrooms and libraries has been suspended per guidelines in the Accomack County Public Schools policy manual. A committee consisting of a principal, librarian, teacher, parent and potentially others will review the complaint and make a recommendation to the superintendent.

A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

Reactions: Boomboom521
http://pilotonline.com/news/local/e...cle_2b63512a-e4b1-54c5-8567-17595e27631b.html

Two classic American novels have been temporarily pulled from bookshelves in Accomack County Public Schools.

Media outlets report that earlier this month, a parent filed a complaint about "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" for their use of racial slurs.

Superintendent Chris Holland says the use of both novels in classrooms and libraries has been suspended per guidelines in the Accomack County Public Schools policy manual. A committee consisting of a principal, librarian, teacher, parent and potentially others will review the complaint and make a recommendation to the superintendent.

A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."
Let's burn them.

I agree! This is ridiculous! Do not associate this type of overreaching sensitivity with all liberals please.

BTW...your profile pic is distracting and awesome. I've seen it on the regular board, and it always seems to make me forget my thoughts in pew of others for a brief period. Sometimes I thank you, sometimes I wish you'd change it. But don't change it!

To Kill a Mockingbird is an amazing piece of literature, shame how hypersensitive we are getting.

My daughter, extremely well read and HS administrator. She reads anything in front of her for pleasure. When my youngest grandchild first started to read, I wanted share a favorite of mine that we could read together. I bought a Huck Finn and kept it by my easy chair where granddaughter and I shared while we practiced reading.

One day my daughter came in while we were reading. Needless to say, all hell broke loose and I was informed that I could no longer share reading with her daughter. At a younger age, my daughter was given all the classics to read, and I am convinced that is one of the major reasons for her desire to read a variety of subjects.

Granddaughter is currently in the 8th grade and does not read on level, therefore she has no affinity to read at all. Likes TV and those damned hand held games. It is heartbreaking to see the disability that was avoidable. Disappointed in my daughter trying to hide her daughter from the world and bad words that she never hears. It just ain't realistic.

My daughter, extremely well read and HS administrator. She reads anything in front of her for pleasure. When my youngest grandchild first started to read, I wanted share a favorite of mine that we could read together. I bought a Huck Finn and kept it by my easy chair where granddaughter and I shared while we practiced reading.

One day my daughter came in while we were reading. Needless to say, all hell broke loose and I was informed that I could no longer share reading with her daughter. At a younger age, my daughter was given all the classics to read, and I am convinced that is one of the major reasons for her desire to read a variety of subjects.

Granddaughter is currently in the 8th grade and does not read on level, therefore she has no affinity to read at all. Likes TV and those damned hand held games. It is heartbreaking to see the disability that was avoidable. Disappointed in my daughter trying to hide her daughter from the world and bad words that she never hears. It just ain't realistic.
It seems like the reading bug has to take hold fairly early in order for it to really take. With all of the TV and other electronic distractions now, I think it's way more important to focus young kids on reading early. I also think that banning literature is the wrong way to go. Should we ban the Bible because of the sex and violence contained in it? I don't think so. Literature like The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn or To Kill a Mockingbird opens a window into our history and what the societal norms were then as compared to now, among other things that have changed with time. Those kinds of books should open up a discussion of that. Sheltering kids from that doesn't protect them. I remember seeking out the books that people tried to keep out of schools when I was a kid - mostly early teens and older. I wanted to see what people were trying to protect me from. I remember buying Catcher in the Rye because I couldn't find it in the library. I didn't feel like it was a fantastic story, but I also didn't feel like it changed me or ruined my innocence. I read a lot of southern literature back then too - Faulkner and Flannery O'Connor. Faulkner was a drag at times, mostly because of how dark his stories tended to be, but the stories were good. Those are probably next to go despite the fact that they aren't promoting the culture of those times, simply reflecting on it.

I'll add this part though. My daughter is 4 years old. I don't think I'd start her on Huck Finn right now. I'll be disappointed if she doesn't get to read at some point, but 4 is awfully early to introduce her to the idea of changing societal norms, IMHO. Besides, at 4 we're still reading books with pictures.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT