ADVERTISEMENT

We only have one player....

Charleston wvu man

All-Conference
Dec 2, 2006
That shows up every game. Carter. No Miles again, very little Ahmad as always. Ahmad isI.just lazy most of the time and why in heavens name do we refuse to guard the 3 ball ?

Yep. Well, maybe two. Sags helps on defense. We get significantly worse when he goes to the bench.

Sags may be the most improved player from year 1 to year 2 in every category that I have seen in the many years of watching WV basketball.

Reactions: JWG66
We got 2 big conference legit starters and the rest are role players or D2 level.

Sags may be the most improved player from year 1 to year 2 in every category that I have seen in the many years of watching WV basketball.
Was hoping to see that improvement from West, Harler & Bender too.

Yep. Well, maybe two. Sags helps on defense. We get significantly worse when he goes to the bench.

About midseason the word got out rotating guards on Carter and wearing him out was the way to beat WVU. When Carter runs out of gas so does WVU.

With Konate it was simply a matter of driving to the basket and drawing fouls. No one else on the WVU side was likely to handle you on both ends of the floor other than those two.

The problem this year was Offensive Rebounding was poor. WVU scoring relies on the Offensive rebounds. Huggins teams are usually one of the best at this.

No reliable back up at the 5. We might have well played with 4 players and been just as good.

This years press defense not as good as last 2 years because of inexperienced players for the pressure. Sophomores got little playing time as Freshman and did not progress when this season went on.

The players on the offense although good at times but late in games they would stand around and not move causing poor shot selection and turnovers. Esa not productive enough this year to be a factor against opponents defense.

Harris needed to learn to stay closer to the basket as that gave us better rebounding. Teddy was not a consistent scorer especially against taller teams with length. Lets hope Teddy improves next year with his interior passing as this will help his scoring.

Only player to improve as the season went was Bolden. Miles did not produce enough on the offensive side in some games. But he did help on playing defense until foul trouble hurt him.

Offense needs to score to win as their defense was not as good as past seasons. Working the ball inside has been effective but our players need to learn to kick the ball back out for open shots. We do not pass the ball around fast enough or drive to the basket enough. Our shot selection and passing are poor. Especially near the end of games.

Was hoping to see that improvement from West, Harler & Bender too.
I truly expect that, at least, one of the three you mention will not be playing for WVU next season. Could be more, but I would be surprised if all three return.

Fact is, a team will never have all the boxes checked.

Rebounds
Assists
Turnovers
Shooting %
Enough Seniors or experienced juniors.
All 5 players on the same page.
Etc...

It's very rare everything aligns.

Have to find a way to win without waiting for everything we want. Otherwise it's always "next year".

Reactions: spreadoption
I truly expect that, at least, one of the three you mention will not be playing for WVU next season. Could be more, but I would be surprised if all three return.
My thoughts too. Hunter is long and athletic & could develop like Meyers did last year; or not. Harler hustles but to me he hurts us if he can’t make his shots. Bender has the size, but as another poster said, he sits to pee.

Elijah Macon leaving early was a huge loss, too. He was really coming into his own as a legit big time center the second half of last season. That Williams was going was no secret, but the loss of an experienced skilled big like Macon to split the banging and minutes with Sags inside was a killer when it came to put backs and offensive rebounding.

We got 2 big conference legit starters and the rest are role players or D2 level.

What! Come on man! WVU is a legit top 30 team. WVU wouldn’t be a top 6 or 7 seed with D2 players. The last month or so has been rough but the entire ball of wax is in front of this team. Much to be done.

Were are the homers? I defend this team and staff nonstop and all you turds do is troll. All you turd do is look to troll me and the other non-homers. You turds know who you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rootmaster
What! Come on man! WVU is a legit top 30 team. WVU wouldn’t be a top 6 or 7 seed with D2 players. The last month or so has been rough but the entire ball of wax is in front of this team. Much to be done.

Were are the homers? I defend this team and staff nonstop and you turds provide no discussion value. All you turds do is look to troll me and the other non-homers. You turds know who you are.

If that is all we have, I would say Huggs did a damn fine job with what he had winning 22 games.
Shoot, if we could have gotten a call or two, we could have several more Ws. Having to sit starters for much of the first half cost us several very close games.

Well the part that matters is about to begin so let’s see what happens

I love Huggs but WVU is bigger than a coach. We have statues of Hall of Fame players and legends outside the Coliseum and we have always had good success as a program. Belien showed the sky is the limit and Huggs doing well here too. Any decent coach can win at WVU. It’s a good program with a big fan base and a top practice facility. I think we could and should do better than what we currently are.

I love Huggs but WVU is bigger than a coach. We have statues of Hall of Fame players and legends outside the Coliseum and we have always had good success as a program. Belien showed the sky is the limit and Huggs doing well here too. Any decent coach can win at WVU. It’s a good program with a big fan base and a top practice facility. I think we could and should do better than what we currently are.

Beilein never got higher than a 6 seed, his success here was basically beating Chris Paul. Without that win his time here looks very ho hum. Yes there were a lot of behind the scenes rebuilding he also did but he’s not the first coach to put a decent program back on the track. I also really like Beilein as a coach, but some act like we would have been clearly better off had he stayed and I don’t think that’s true. Both WVU and Mich are fortunate with how it played out.

Huggins is a Top 10 coach in my opinion. I get this season has been up and down but WVU is not a coaching destination spot so be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHANDSDC
Huggs has done a great job overall here, anyone trying to find an issue with it is out of their mind. He successfully molded a bunch of low rated recruits that were fits for a Princeton-esque offense and soft defense into a defensive and rebounding machine that advanced to a Final Four. When his style of coaching/recruiting became stagnant he adapted, reinvented himself and this program in a way that keeps it in the polls every week and NCAA bids are a given in the preseason. His resume at WVU speaks for itself and we will continue to roll along after JC leaves, if he has it in the tank we are potentially staring at 10 consecutive NCAA bids before he calls it quits.

And that is just the on the court stuff. The off the court intangibles speak for themselves, he is a beloved figure and he loves the state/alumni back, there will probably never be a coach again in either sport that will be this well liked in WV. He is also our closest thing to a legendary coach in either sport's history.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phil
Wvu is a very good program but to think we can do better than Huggs is a fantasy. Beilien was a very good coach here but Huggs has us on another level. Just look at pitt to see how life after Dixon is working out. One bad hire (it just about happened here with all world dakitch) and it will take years to recover. Enjoy Huggs and this team while we have him.

Wvu is a very good program but to think we can do better than Huggs is a fantasy. Beilien was a very good coach here but Huggs has us on another level. Just look at pitt to see how life after Dixon is working out. One bad hire (it just about happened here with all world dakitch) and it will take years to recover. Enjoy Huggs and this team while we have him.

This exactly. Pitt is a perfect example of what could go wrong. When I was at WVU, Pitt was an unstoppable force unless it was an elimination game (lol), I would have never believed when I was 20 that in 10 years Pitt not only completely fell off the map, but had a laughable 0-fer conference season. I am not looking forward to the post Huggs coaching search.

I love Huggs and also thought Belien is a good coach as well but dont downplay how good of a job this is. WVU is a winning program. Any decent coach can win 20+ games at a good program like WVU.

ADVERTISEMENT