ADVERTISEMENT

Views from Iowa State fans...

BoremanEer

All-Conference
Jan 29, 2003
...I am in Louisville, KY reading AP U.S. History exams. Had a really good conversation with two teachers/fans of Iowa State today. Here is what they had to say:

1. Texas is trying to get into the Big 10, and a lot of the Big XII fans feel it is just a matter of time before the Longhorns think they will go there or elsewhere. The question is, what conference would really want that headache? Texas really worries about the progress Texas A&M has made in the SEC, and some in the Texas administration blame the Big XII for Texas having taken a back seat in recruiting in the state of Texas. Interesting angle: not a lot of tears being shed by Iowa State fans, and according to them, not nby non-Texas schools in the conference who are fed up with Texas's heavy-handedness and lack of working as an equal. Iowa State especially is pissed over losing Missouri and Nebraska and blames Texas for it. also feels the entitled attitudes of Texas administration is the main reason Colorado and Texas A&M left as well. They believe that Oklahoma is pushing Texas. Iowa State fans openly felt keeping Oklahoma was much more important than Texas, who they called a "cancer".

2. They are very happy that WVU is in the Big XII instead of Louisville and had nothing but nice things to say about WVU. They are especially relieved the Big XII took WVU instead of Louisville because of the dumpster fire that is Louisville basketball right now. Really had nice things to say about both Huggins and Holgersen.

3. Say they want expansion, would prefer Cincinnati and Memphis, would not mind bringing in Colorado State WHEN Texas leaves. (God, they HATE Texas).

4. They believe that Iowa State is in a much more precarious position than WVU. They feel that Iowa State is on more of an island than WVU is. When I asked if Iowa State ever thought about seeking Big 10 membership, they said Iowa would see them in hell first.

5. Wanted to know if WVU really wanted in the ACC. I told them what Vernon said: that the ACC came calling when Maryland left for the Big 10 and we told them no. I also said that most Mountaineer fans were happy with the Big XII, for one reason, because Big XII fans are just as passionate about their teams as we are about our Mountaineers.

6. I conceded that we owed Texas because Texas pushed for WVU when Oklahoma and Oklahoma State pushed for Louisville. I said that Oliver Luck had Texas ties which helped our cause. They cautiously warned that, when it comes to Texas, they will support us when it serves their purposes. (Once again, God, do they hate Texas). They also claimed Iowa State, among other schools, wanted to add WVU and Louisville and add a 12th school, but Texas blocked it.

7. They expressed extreme doubts that Oklahoma would ever leave the Big XII. Part of the reason is that many Nebraska alumni have been less than happy with the loss of traditional Big XII rivals, and Oklahoma administration has made note of that. They admitted that any talk of Nebraska or any other former Big XII team ever coming back being out of the question........unless Texas leaves. (God, they hate Texas).

8. Wanted to know how determined WVU fans were, if expansion occurs, that a new Big XII team be from the eastern time zone. I said that we were somewhat divided. We saw Cincinnati as a potential recruiting rival but see advantages to their closeness geographically. I joked about Iowa State being our "closest rival", but said, let's face it, Connecticut is not that close, either. I said some of our fans saw advantages adding one of the FLorida directional schools. I said my personal favorite for expansion was Colorado State, but I was just speaking for myself.

9. As much as they hate Texas, they are disgusted with Baylor. They said that Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech were hours away from jumping to the Pac 10 just before WVU and TCU joined when Baylor alum, who are powerful in the Texas legislature, whined their way into preventing Texas's defection. While Texas is the big dog, Baylor apparently has the most powerful lawyers. They also said they hoped Baylor got the death penalty. My favorite quote: "They would make Louisville look like the Vatican". They said that Baylor is the only school that can begin to sway Texas politically.

10. I asked if Oklahoma, a big rival of Texas, would be willing to lose Texas as a rival if they stand up to them. Reply: "Ask Texas A&M how it has worked out":.

11. Indicated that there is some concern among Cyclone fans that Texas and Kansas could go as a pair to the Big 10, as a two school expansion is more likely. As much as they hate Texas and say they could care less if they leave.....you can feel the tension there about the possibility of Texas leaving.

Really great conversations to get the ideas of how a rival Big XII thinks about WVU and the present situation with the Big XII.......I really have found Iowa State fans to be the most approachable of Big XII fans here at AP readings.....

Maybe I should have said that I believe that the ACC contacted Luck and it was a non-issue, that we were committed to the Big XII. Maybe Vernon could correct me if I am wrong, that I think that is the way I recall it.

No they didn't tell the ACC no they just said it was too late. WVU would have jumped at the chance but the calls came after WVU had reached the point of no return with the Big 12.

Thx for the reply.

I think that info is positive for WVU if the Big 12 actually gets raided down the road.

Iowa State certainly enjoyed the 24-ZIP victory over Texas last year. Actually their first one over Texas.

And Thank You Vernon on the ACC info - We had already played a year in the B12 when Maryland announced going to the B10. And the Grand of rights had either already been signed or was on the table.

The big question is - does the SEC and Big 10 go to the UVA/UNC area to get teams 15 & 16 or do they come to the B12 and take Tx and OU? I still think Texas is problematic for the B10 because of the Longhorn Network.

Iowa State certainly enjoyed the 24-ZIP victory over Texas last year. Actually their first one over Texas.

And Thank You Vernon on the ACC info - We had already played a year in the B12 when Maryland announced going to the B10. And the Grand of rights had either already been signed or was on the table.

The big question is - does the SEC and Big 10 go to the UVA/UNC area to get teams 15 & 16 or do they come to the B12 and take Tx and OU? I still think Texas is problematic for the B10 because of the Longhorn Network.
IMO, Texas will never leave the Big 12. They are the Big 12. Oklahoma is the school people should worry about leaving.

...I am in Louisville, KY reading AP U.S. History exams. Had a really good conversation with two teachers/fans of Iowa State today. Here is what they had to say:

1. Texas is trying to get into the Big 10, and a lot of the Big XII fans feel it is just a matter of time before the Longhorns think they will go there or elsewhere. The question is, what conference would really want that headache? Texas really worries about the progress Texas A&M has made in the SEC, and some in the Texas administration blame the Big XII for Texas having taken a back seat in recruiting in the state of Texas. Interesting angle: not a lot of tears being shed by Iowa State fans, and according to them, not nby non-Texas schools in the conference who are fed up with Texas's heavy-handedness and lack of working as an equal. Iowa State especially is pissed over losing Missouri and Nebraska and blames Texas for it. also feels the entitled attitudes of Texas administration is the main reason Colorado and Texas A&M left as well. They believe that Oklahoma is pushing Texas. Iowa State fans openly felt keeping Oklahoma was much more important than Texas, who they called a "cancer".

2. They are very happy that WVU is in the Big XII instead of Louisville and had nothing but nice things to say about WVU. They are especially relieved the Big XII took WVU instead of Louisville because of the dumpster fire that is Louisville basketball right now. Really had nice things to say about both Huggins and Holgersen.

3. Say they want expansion, would prefer Cincinnati and Memphis, would not mind bringing in Colorado State WHEN Texas leaves. (God, they HATE Texas).

4. They believe that Iowa State is in a much more precarious position than WVU. They feel that Iowa State is on more of an island than WVU is. When I asked if Iowa State ever thought about seeking Big 10 membership, they said Iowa would see them in hell first.

5. Wanted to know if WVU really wanted in the ACC. I told them what Vernon said: that the ACC came calling when Maryland left for the Big 10 and we told them no. I also said that most Mountaineer fans were happy with the Big XII, for one reason, because Big XII fans are just as passionate about their teams as we are about our Mountaineers.

6. I conceded that we owed Texas because Texas pushed for WVU when Oklahoma and Oklahoma State pushed for Louisville. I said that Oliver Luck had Texas ties which helped our cause. They cautiously warned that, when it comes to Texas, they will support us when it serves their purposes. (Once again, God, do they hate Texas). They also claimed Iowa State, among other schools, wanted to add WVU and Louisville and add a 12th school, but Texas blocked it.

7. They expressed extreme doubts that Oklahoma would ever leave the Big XII. Part of the reason is that many Nebraska alumni have been less than happy with the loss of traditional Big XII rivals, and Oklahoma administration has made note of that. They admitted that any talk of Nebraska or any other former Big XII team ever coming back being out of the question........unless Texas leaves. (God, they hate Texas).

8. Wanted to know how determined WVU fans were, if expansion occurs, that a new Big XII team be from the eastern time zone. I said that we were somewhat divided. We saw Cincinnati as a potential recruiting rival but see advantages to their closeness geographically. I joked about Iowa State being our "closest rival", but said, let's face it, Connecticut is not that close, either. I said some of our fans saw advantages adding one of the FLorida directional schools. I said my personal favorite for expansion was Colorado State, but I was just speaking for myself.

9. As much as they hate Texas, they are disgusted with Baylor. They said that Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech were hours away from jumping to the Pac 10 just before WVU and TCU joined when Baylor alum, who are powerful in the Texas legislature, whined their way into preventing Texas's defection. While Texas is the big dog, Baylor apparently has the most powerful lawyers. They also said they hoped Baylor got the death penalty. My favorite quote: "They would make Louisville look like the Vatican". They said that Baylor is the only school that can begin to sway Texas politically.

10. I asked if Oklahoma, a big rival of Texas, would be willing to lose Texas as a rival if they stand up to them. Reply: "Ask Texas A&M how it has worked out":.

11. Indicated that there is some concern among Cyclone fans that Texas and Kansas could go as a pair to the Big 10, as a two school expansion is more likely. As much as they hate Texas and say they could care less if they leave.....you can feel the tension there about the possibility of Texas leaving.

Really great conversations to get the ideas of how a rival Big XII thinks about WVU and the present situation with the Big XII.......I really have found Iowa State fans to be the most approachable of Big XII fans here at AP readings.....

Baylor Law produces ferocious attorneys.

They have a Practice Court Program that cranks out litigators - that's their specialty.

When there are four 16 team power conferences, Iowa fans hope Iowa State is left out and has to go to the MAC Conference. No love between those two at all,

No they didn't tell the ACC no they just said it was too late. WVU would have jumped at the chance but the calls came after WVU had reached the point of no return with the Big 12.

Correct. ACC, Big 10 and SEC all passed on WVU for membership. So ACC had second thoughts, but only after it saw that the Big 12 wanted WVU. Sort of like not wanting your boyfriend till some other girl glommed onto him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT