ADVERTISEMENT

(UPDATED RESULTS) It's Hard To Beat A Team Three Times In One Season ??

LowFatMilk

All-Conference
Apr 21, 2012
I ignored those chanting this crap before the game because I didn't want to come off as a hater (although that's seemingly impossible anyway). One poster even preferred this matchup over us playing a team we beat twice....he believed this crap so much.

Well yea...it's actually true if teams are anywhere close to equal in overall talent, coaching, and physical ability.....BEFORE
ALREADY PLAYING TWO GAMES. Even if teams are completely equal the odds for a team to win a third game are IDENTICAL even if they won/lost/tied in the two previous games. The whole 'we're due to win' idea is completely flawed. In any given game as the odds don't change. Before any single (of three) games are played the odds do change on a team winning all three....but NOT ON ANY SINGLE GIVEN GAME.

Losers have been told for a lifetime that it's 'hard to get beat by the same team three times' AFTER already being beat twice. It's more of a motto than a truth. I guess it makes for a nice pregame speech...or a slogan for 'true' fans.

-------------

Oh yea...we averaged losing by 20 points TWICE to Baylor.... ......so talent, coaching, and physical ability were OBVIOUSLY NOT equal in the first place.

.........and should I even dive into our injury situation ?

This post was edited on 3/14 7:27 PM by LowFatMilk

Re: It's Not Hard To Beat A Team Three Times In One Season ??

LowFatMilk (2%)..................so.................you are a hater but just don't want to come acrost like one. Am I hearing your correctly? In my opinion.............Huggs is coaching them to lay down late in the game against both Baylor and Texas.

Re: It's Hard To Beat A Team Three Times In One Season ??

i'
Originally posted by LowFatMilk:

I ignored those chanting this crap before the game because I didn't want to come off as a hater (although that's seemingly impossible anyway). One poster even preferred this matchup over us playing a team we beat twice....he believed this crap so much.

Well yea...it's actually true if teams are anywhere close to equal in overall talent, coaching, and physical ability.....BEFORE
ALREADY PLAYING TWO GAMES. Even if teams are completely equal the odds for a team to win a third game are IDENTICAL even if they won/lost/tied in the two previous games. The whole 'we're due to win' idea is completely flawed. In any given game as the odds don't change. Before any single (of three) games are played the odds do change on a team winning all three....but NOT ON ANY SINGLE GIVEN GAME.

Losers have been told for a lifetime that it's 'hard to get beat by the same team three times' AFTER already being beat twice. It's more of a motto than a truth. I guess it makes for a nice pregame speech...or a slogan for 'true' fans.

-------------

Oh yea...we averaged losing by 20 points TWICE to Baylor.... ......so talent, coaching, and physical ability were OBVIOUSLY NOT equal in the first place.

I'd love to know in some fashion what the stats on this 3 times a charm is myself, is it a 'truth'? Maybe it is all a figment of the imagination...But more to the point...

What is the 'true' fan you are referring to?....and....

Yes we certainly could go into the injury situation...but then good, and great teams overcome and adapt...do they? Or don't they?

In my opinion, WVU has proven itself to not be the best team in the country by losing to the same team 3 times in a row. They shouldn't be included in the NCAA tournament. Neither should a lot of other teams that have to rely on the "right" match ups in order to win. If a team played (and lost) against a particular offense, defense, team, etc. multiple times during the season, they have had their chance and (again, in my opinion) are not the best team in the nation. I wish the NCAA would add this as a criteria for selecting teams even if it would reduce the size of the tournament. I know there are people who love March Madness and have no problem with this concept but I just think it is a bit fraudulent that a team can have the stars align with all external circumstances and get everything set-up just right for them to win it all, when, if they were forced to go another route, they wouldn't have won it (or even came close to winning it).

The Mountaineers should just decline an invitation to the tourney.

Just wanted to see how it feels to be you.

It sucks, man.

I think with a healthy Staten & Browne, we win that game. Kids played great but turned it over at a couple in opportune times late in the game. I have heard it said before, " the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores ".

Originally posted by oceantide83:
In my opinion, WVU has proven itself to not be the best team in the country by losing to the same team 3 times in a row. They shouldn't be included in the NCAA tournament. Neither should a lot of other teams that have to rely on the "right" match ups in order to win. If a team played (and lost) against a particular offense, defense, team, etc. multiple times during the season, they have had their chance and (again, in my opinion) are not the best team in the nation. I wish the NCAA would add this as a criteria for selecting teams even if it would reduce the size of the tournament. I know there are people who love March Madness and have no problem with this concept but I just think it is a bit fraudulent that a team can have the stars align with all external circumstances and get everything set-up just right for them to win it all, when, if they were forced to go another route, they wouldn't have won it (or even came close to winning it).
You don't think we are in the top 68 teams in the country???

It is very true when the two teams have similar talent. But when one team has a huge advantage in some sort of talent or size or speed then the third victory is usually predictable. Baylor was a horrible match up for us because the press did not both them at all. Same as Texas last when we had zero answers for their power inside game with Ridley.

As for some of the members of this board - they think they and their team are invincable. They would be some of the first ones killed in battle because they would take many unnecessary chances.

There are teams you could play 10 times in a season and lose 11 times. Hats off to Baylor and onto the NCAA tourney. Its been a great season.

No that is not at all what he is saying. You make the best of what happens but it a bit dumb to to root for situations that you are at a disadvantage. Just like the person - and I do not remember who it was - that said they would prefer to be in the Kentucky region since you are going to have to play them at some point.

I always hated how we usually had to play Miami in football as our first conference game. And now it seems to be that Oklahoma is going to be our first B12 game each season. I would much rather get a game or two under you belt before you have to play the best team. It is a pain digging out of the 0-1 hole most seasons.

I swear, I've never heard a woman talk like a man before. Not like you. Just curious, do your balls itch like a man's?

My first thought was "And from what planet is he from." Under your criteria the NCAA tournament would have about 15 teams participating. Almost every team has a fatal flaw if they get the wrong matchup. You play the best you can and see what happens.

Fraudulent? Man, I'm glad you don't choose the champion. You're one of those...well, they did better in the regular season guys....I for one, ENJOY that someone can get hot at the right time and win the whole thing, because in this sport it's settled ON THE COURT.

Originally posted by LowFatMilk:

-------------

The thought process of those who first limit their scope of consideration is entertaining for those who know a good joke when they read one.
laugh.r191677.gif

.........btw, does anyone know the score of each of the 3 games at the 7:53 mark of the second half?
smokin.r191677.gif

Just a quick follow-up...in our conference alone...and only for this season...

---Kansas beat TCU.....3 TIMES.

---Baylor beat WVU....3 TIMES

---Texas beat TTU....3 TIMES

---Iowa St beat Texas....3 TIMES

---OK beat OK St. .....3 TIMES

---Kansas beat Baylor....3 TIMES

--------------------

Feel free to double check what was a quick look by me.... .....but no team that was 2-0 against any other team lost the third game in our conference.

.....they were actually an impressive 6-0.

Bump....for the poster that preferred we played a team in the Big 12 tourney that already beat us twice..... ...instead of ANY team we beat twice.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT