ADVERTISEMENT

Update on Zach

WVPATX

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2005
He ran with the first team in yesterday's OTA. Some comments about Zach from those associated with the Steelers:

"What I really like about Zach," said Wolfley, the former Steelers guard and current Steelers radio analyst, "is his punch. It's more of a snap punch. Most linemen push-punch. He snaps it. And that's not easy at his position when he first has to snap the ball."

Is Frazier "country strong"?

"I would describe his strength as 'goofy wrestler strength,'" Wolfley said. "That is best defined as having strength 360 degrees all the way around. It's unlike a normally strong weighlifter. You might have a situation where the weightlifter is strong in singular planes, like the bench press, squatting, deadlifting. Well, a wrestler is strong in all degrees of strength all outside those planes and parameters.

"What's really nice is for a guy with as much balance and ability to bring strength out of any posture and every plane of confrontation that exists. It really helps at center, where you've got clashing forces coming from both sides. That kind of strength really helps accelerate Zach Frazier's ability to play center."

Frazier confirmed that he got his chance to play first team Thursday when veteran center Nate Herbig slid over to left guard to replace Isaac Seumalo.

"I definitely didn't take it for granted," said Frazier. "Just gave it everything I had. It's special to get that opportunity."

There's no doubt that Frazier, the second-round draft pick, will receive more opportunities there with the first team. He has guard experience, but yesterday's placement at center reflects the coaching staff's desire to eventually use Frazier in place of Mason Cole, the starter the last two seasons.

Frazier's assets - strength, technique, and mobility - are obvious. He just needs a thorough understanding of the offense.

"Every day I come out here it gets a little bit easier," Frazier said. "Just trying to stack days and focus on my bad plays and correct them."

How would he define his strength? Is he "country strong" like a young Alan Faneca? Or is he "goofy wrestler" strong like Wolfley?

"I've heard 'country strong,'" Frazier said with a laugh. "I guess you could just ask other people."

To paraphrase one of those others, his running back (Jalen Warren), Frazier's really-good-at-holding-blocks strong. And that's very strong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.