ADVERTISEMENT

Unless we win one of the next two games...

The Bell Tolls for Thee

All-Conference
Feb 15, 2005
this win is less impressive than when Dana beat Oklahoma State at Mountaineer Field with a team that ultimately finished 4-8 while OSU finished 10-3 that year. Dana went on to 7-6 the next year and proceeded to keep WVU on the "never going to be better than 3rd in the conference" treadmill for 4 more years.

Always glad for a win, but this win should count for very little in winning back fan or admin good will given the totality of Brown's performance at WVU.

This is an awful Oklahoma team. Perhaps the worst of my lifetime. Even then we had to essentially go back in time and run the f#*king wildcat the entire second half to luck out with a win.

Anyone that uses this win to justify keeping Kneel is an idiot.

this win is less impressive than when Dana beat Oklahoma State at Mountaineer Field with a team that ultimately finished 4-8 while OSU finished 10-3 that year. Dana went on to 7-6 the next year and proceeded to keep WVU on the "never going to be better than 3rd in the conference" treadmill for 4 more years.

Always glad for a win, but this win should count for very little in winning back fan or admin good will given the totality of Brown's performance at WVU.
The only reason this win is impressive is because we've never beaten them in Big 12 play. Dana had some good teams and still couldn't beat them. Oklahoma being as bad as us this year is the reason we had a chance to win and we did.

Reactions: ThePunish-EER
The only reason this win is impressive is because we've never beaten them in Big 12 play. Dana had some good teams and still couldn't beat them. Oklahoma being as bad as us this year is the reason we had a chance to win and we did.

I would say it is significant because it is the first time we beat OU in conference, but not impressive. It is not like we are beating OU at its prime or even on a down year for the program. We beat a historically bad Sooners team by a last minute FG. Being impressed would be like if Pitt were acting as though beating this year's WVU team is the same as defeating the 2007, or even the 2004, Mountaineers.

I would say it is significant because it is the first time we beat OU in conference, but not impressive. It is not like we are beating OU at its prime or even on a down year for the program. We beat a historically bad Sooners team by a last minute FG. Being impressed would be like if Pitt were acting as though beating this year's WVU team is the same as defeating the 2007, or even the 2004, Mountaineers.
I had this game picked as a loss. I'm impressed. WVU chose to go for a FG because it ate up OU timeouts and ran down the clock. I fully believe they could have scored a TD. But with OU having timeouts and a minute plus to play would have scored easily.

You've seen WVU this year and you know they are worse than even a bad OU team.

It’s the worst Oklahoma team I’ve seen in years. Worst of our time in the Big 12. However, this is also one of our worst WVU teams in a long time. With that said, the win is significant for the program. I’d be more concerned if this was a top shelf WVU team barely beating a very bad Oklahoma team.

I had this game picked as a loss. I'm impressed. WVU chose to go for a FG because it ate up OU timeouts and ran down the clock. I fully believe they could have scored a TD. But with OU having timeouts and a minute plus to play would have scored easily.

You've seen WVU this year and you know they are worse than even a bad OU team.

Maybe semantics, but I think over achieving crap expectations by beating a slightly less crap OU team isn't what I would call impressive in a general sense. Maybe if you qualify it as impressive for this particular team at this particular time. Although I'd say this team already has a more "impressive" win vs Baylor with regard to this particular team and season. However if you couch it as impressive because it is the first win against a historically good program in about a decade, it implies impressive in a more general sense.

Maybe semantics, but I think over achieving crap expectations by beating a slightly less crap OU team isn't what I would call impressive in a general sense. Maybe if you qualify it as impressive for this particular team at this particular time. Although I'd say this team already has a more "impressive" win vs Baylor with regard to this particular team and season. However if you couch it as impressive because it is the first win against a historically good program in about a decade, it implies impressive in a more general sense.
Only team since conference play to beat Oklahoma. WVU has had better teams and couldn't get it done.

This is by far the worst OU team WVU ever faced in or out of the BIG 12.

During the previous staffs time OU was often top 5, top 10, always ranked and 4 times in the playoffs.

This is an awful Oklahoma team. Perhaps the worst of my lifetime. Even then we had to essentially go back in time and run the f#*king wildcat the entire second half to luck out with a win.

Anyone that uses this win to justify keeping Kneel is an idiot.
Nobody will look back years from now and say the OU win was against a bad team. A W is a W. Only people that discount this W are the trolls.
But this will not save Brown's job.

Reactions: WVUALLEN
Only team since conference play to beat Oklahoma. WVU has had better teams and couldn't get it done.

So it is impressive that this team is the first team to beat Oklahoma in conference play even though by your own admission it is likely all the prior WVU teams would have also won had they played the 2022 Sooners? Based upon your own statement I think we can agree that the reason WVU finally beat the Sooners in conference play this year is because the Sooners have fallen far from their usual quality as opposed to WVU rising to meet the challenge previous OU teams posed. I mean WVU didn't rise at all, they fell and yet the Sooners had to fell even further to be in the same ballpark as WVU this year.
Sounds like that is more a negative indictment on Oklahoma than it is a positive one for WVU. It is a significant win in terms of program history, but it isn't an impressive win in terms of individual team performance. Conversely to say how WVU beating VT in 2003 was not significant in terms of program history, but certainly was in terms of individual team performance.

WVU beating 2003 Tech has nothing to do with WVU beating Oklahoma 2022.

OU is 5-5 you know and beat ISU.

I'm sure OSU fans are sitting there saying this OU game will not mean much because they suck. After all they only lead us 90-19-7 in football and with a win we will tie our longest win streak against them at 2. The win would be meaningless.

I don't give a shit if OU was 0-11 and WVU was 11-0 and it was their first win in conference. It means something because they won and fans that hate the staff refuse to give credit where credit is due. So the staff sucks big deal the team won.

ADVERTISEMENT