ADVERTISEMENT

UCF declares itself National Champions 2017

WVU80ate

All-Conference
Jun 10, 2003
Big topic on espn. Some say no way. Some say why not? Do they have a case? They beat the man (Auburn) who beat both Alabama and Georgia this year. Nobody beat UCF.

You go undefeated and beat the two teams playing for the championship I say you have a good claim even if it's going nowhere. Until there is an 8 team playoff decided by more than subjective opinion it's all BS anyway.

Reactions: WVU80ate
You go undefeated and beat the two teams playing for the championship I say you have a good claim even if it's going nowhere. Until there is an 8 team playoff decided by more than subjective opinion it's all BS anyway.
Yes, I agree. They deserve a split title at the very least.

I know why they're upset. This playoff system in many ways is still broken. But if UCF had even played our schedule this year, would they have been undefeated. Who knows?

If Alabama wins the “NC”, how do they have a better case than UCF? Alabama couldn’t even win the SEC let alone even appear in the SEC championship game. Yet, they play for the NC? Yes, the system is broken. Should be a rule; you must win your conference to play for a NC.

Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
Hahahahahahahahahahah.
Now that's funny. It's like that Power 6 stuff the AAC comes up with.

This is why undefeated Boise State and undefeated Utah while in the MWC were more respected. Both went undefeated but were smart enough to know 'hey our schedule is very weak in comparison so let's enjoy the respect we gained'.

Big topic on espn. Some say no way. Some say why not? Do they have a case? They beat the man (Auburn) who beat both Alabama and Georgia this year. Nobody beat UCF.

Oh no, they got a national title before us. Not.

We should claim a 1920something national title. I have no idea why we dont, something so stupid goes a long way in program credibility. If we had a fake leather helmet natty in the trophy case we would probably be in the SEC right now.

If Alabama wins the “NC”, how do they have a better case than UCF? Alabama couldn’t even win the SEC let alone even appear in the SEC championship game. Yet, they play for the NC? Yes, the system is broken. Should be a rule; you must win your conference to play for a NC.

This. Guarantee that UCF (this year) could compete with Alabama, Oklahoma, Clemson, and Georgia.

They might not be able to compete every year, but this year they definitely could. Same could be said of TCU during their 2009 & 2010 seasons, Boise St during their 2006 & 2009 seasons, and Utah during their 2004 season. It's a shame that these teams never had a chance to play for a National title.

I would love to see the winner of the game Monday get 2 weeks off and play UCF. It would be a great game.

Reactions: MacMountie
UCF has a good team but I don't think they would have gone undefeated if they were in the SEC or the Big for that matter. This ain't what I knows........it is merely what I thinks...............and when I thinks I falls to sleep. Warez

A lot of universities claim their first NC that is not fully legit to most of the country.
Problem is CFB is a current popularity contest but in 50 years it is who's narrative gets out the best.

For example 1970.
Texas was awarded the NC before the bowl game by the AP because they were 1969 NC and they had a long winning streak.
Texas lost the Cotton Bowl to ND in one of the most famous CFB games ever because ND shut down the Wishbone with a new defense.
Nebraska won their bowl game and was awarded the NC by the UPI

To this day Nebraska will claim that UT's NC is not legit because it was awarded before the bowl game even though the AP gave it to Texas
On the other hand Bama was given the AP NC in 1964 before the Orange Bowl and UT beat them in Miami in CFB's first night football game. Texas never claims the 1964 NC even though they have the right to according to Nebraska's logic.

Fast forward 50 years from now. UCF will claim they are the legit NC because they beat Auburn who beat both Alabama and UGA and that their NC is legit because they were undefeated.

This is the issue with UCF claiming it and why Paul Finebaum and the SEC media is trying to nip it in the butt.
According to UCF's logic Texas can claim every undefeated year as a NC and can add 8 NC to their total. UT has much better appreciation of history to do so and will leave this up to the voters.
They know Bama's history and how Bama's first 4 NC are not legit either because the media at the time awarded the NC to other universities.

Last edited:
I've been preaching that for years. Ideally, there would be FOUR Power conferences and 8 division winners would form the 8-team playoff. Notre Dame and other indies can either get into one of the power conferences to stay home and whine. Ridiculous to not play in the conference title game, yet play for the national title.

I've been preaching that for years. Ideally, there would be FOUR Power conferences and 8 division winners would form the 8-team playoff. Notre Dame and other indies can either get into one of the power conferences to stay home and whine. Ridiculous to not play in the conference title game, yet play for the national title.

I have promoted 2 different versions
A 8 conference 11 game Schedule
Or
A 4 conference 10 game schedule with a Conferences Championship game

Then have a 8 team playoff so at the most teams play 14 games.
That should be the most that athletes should play who are not paid.

The SEC is not in favor of this because with the current system they can actually put 4 teams in the CFP or if it goes to 8 then as many as ESPN allows.
The B1G supports the current system but they just want FOX to bid for the CFP when the ESPN contracts expires.

I know why they're upset. This playoff system in many ways is still broken. But if UCF had even played our schedule this year, would they have been undefeated. Who knows?

I know that answer. No freaken way they would be undefeated.

Well if you think UCF would go through the SEC undefeated then you’re probably hopeless.

Well if you think UCF would go through the SEC undefeated then you’re probably hopeless.

In the East with cross divisional games against Arkansas and Ole Miss than maybe.
The UGA and USC games would be the only tough matchups
The rest of the East was in disarray.
UT and Florida especially because of coaching.
UK always is horrible at football and Bama broke Vandy in September.

This is why an overrated Missouri team's offense was built up as unstoppable. Everyone saw in the Texas Bowl with UT having half of their starters how sorry the SEC East really was.

Regarding UCF I think their problem is the amount of talent. They are attracting players who might have ended up at Louisville, Pittsburgh and West Virginia or players who would had boosters paying their tuition to walk onto Miami, Florida or Florida State in the 90's. One of the reasons why FSU's OLine was such a mess was because their depth has suffered because of the 4 new Florida schools at the FBS level.

Frost never brought in any 4 or 5 star recruits at UCF.
This is why I think he may be a little overrated as a coach because Larry Fedora at Southern Miss and Tom Herman at Houston both recruited a 5 star player at a Group of 5 school.

Last edited:
TulaneNatlChamps_1515110658658_12175160_ver1.0.jpg

TooLame has the same idea.
The two universities who might end up in the Big XII are claiming NC.

It is a good thing that there is a competition between a lot of universities in the AAC.
If the bigger schools do not come then the Big XII will get universities who want to step up their product.
I don't see Cincinnati doing the same.

I for one would enjoy Tulane in the Big XII. They have a wonderful new stadium on their Uptown Campus they just built a few years ago.

TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpg

Last edited:

UCF would be lucky to finish with a .500 record in SEC. They beat Auburn in a bowl game. Whoopie de doo. Does that make them national champs? Big fat NO!!!

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
UCF would be lucky to finish with a .500 record in SEC. They beat Auburn in a bowl game. Whoopie de doo. Does that make them national champs? Big fat NO!!!
Claiming UCF as NC is what is best for West Virginia.
If UCF turns into a power than they can compete with the bigger Florida schools and the Big XII can crave a footprint in that part of Florida. If UCF can develop a football program and even a baseball program that is Top 15 every year than they may end up in the Big XII.
Orlando, Tampa and down to Miami is where a lot of the talent and population is at.
Hopefully UCF can get Miami to play them in the next 10 years. Miami has been much better at scheduling the smaller Florida schools than UF and FSU.

Sometimes you need to understand that claiming UCF as NC is what is best for West Virginia.
If UCF turns into a power than they can compete with the bigger Florida schools and the Big XII can crave a footprint in that part of Florida.
Orlando, Tampa and down to Miami is where a lot of the talent and population is at.
Hopefully UCF can get Miami to play them in the next 10 years. Miami has been much better at scheduling the smaller Florida schools than UF and FSU.

UCF could not win with a week in week out Big 12, SEC or Big 10 Schedule. UCF can't put together 7-10 season of unbeaten or 1 loss teams on a regular basis. They are no national power and never will be.

I suggest you make more post before jumping to false conclusions.

Reactions: Pitt4Life34
UCF could not win with a week in week out Big 12, SEC or Big 10 Schedule. UCF can't put together 7-10 season of unbeaten or 1 loss teams on a regular basis. They are no national power and never will be.

I suggest you make more post before jumping to false conclusions.

If UCF can or cannot doesn't matter.
What does is for the Big XII to find universities that want to create football programs that can compete year in and year out.
UCF is one. So what is best for UCF is what is best for the Big XII.

Dismissing UCF as a nobody is actually hurting West Virginia.
A big program in Florida can add television sets and recruits to this conference and put on average Big XII teams closer to the SEC.

Texas will always make more money than the schools in the SEC and the B1G because of merchandise sales and other media contracts like the internet and radio but West Virginia cannot because how small their state is.

That 29.1 million plus third tier rights with 2 big name programs could add between 75-100 additional millions in revenue for the next media contract and maybe ultimately a conference network.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYHAWKBALL
And how do you know this? You do realize Auburn played in the SEC Championship game. And comparatively, what was the perception of the Miami Hurricane program before 1983?

If UCF can or cannot doesn't matter.
What does is for the Big XII to find universities that want to create football programs that can compete year in and year out.
UCF is one. So what is best for UCF is what is best for the Big XII.

Dismissing UCF as a nobody is actually hurting West Virginia.
A big program in Florida can add television sets and recruits to this conference and put on average Big XII teams closer to the SEC.

Texas will always make more money than the schools in the SEC and the B1G because of merchandise sales and other media contracts like the internet and radio but West Virginia cannot because how small their state is.

That 29.1 million plus third tier rights with 2 big name programs could add between 75-100 additional millions in revenue for the next media contract and maybe ultimately a conference network.

You’re impressing me rookie!

Go on........

I absolutely back them. They played some good teams and beat Auburn who beat bama, georgia, and lost a close game to clemson. If the orlando sentinel declares them National Champs than its as legit as half the championships of the other schools.

Surely we all know by now that who you play has a lot to do with your W-L record and that one bowl game does not override your regular season schedule. Central Florida won every game it played. But it would not be unbeaten in the Big 12. Period. Also, one season does not make a perennial power. But kudos to Central Florida for a great season with at the children's table.

There are 65 P5 schools. P5 football is a different animal. You play someone every week of the season who brings great resources and a committed AD to win (except Kansas where Naismith invented basketball).

SOS
Georgia 18
Alabama 47
UCF 72

Which school seems out of place?

Btw WVU came in with a SOS at 28, a little lower than the norm since joining the Big XII.

Rich Rod was the OC for that team. Just wanted to point out another success for Goat Rodriguez.

TulaneNatlChamps_1515110658658_12175160_ver1.0.jpg

TooLame has the same idea.
The two universities who might end up in the Big XII are claiming NC.

It is a good thing that there is a competition between a lot of universities in the AAC.
If the bigger schools do not come then the Big XII will get universities who want to step up their product.
I don't see Cincinnati doing the same.

I for one would enjoy Tulane in the Big XII. They have a wonderful new stadium on their Uptown Campus they just built a few years ago.

TulaneStadiumGameday2_800_577_s.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT