ADVERTISEMENT

Tyson Bagent form Shepherd and state player of the year.

AllEers6

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2011
Tyson is leading the country in passing yards per game at 387 and has a 72% completion rate to also lead the country. I was told by a former D1 football coach last year that he still has no idea how he was passed over. Dana offered as a walk-on but as a linebacker. Lol! That did not go over well!

I think he would be a better option then Jack as a back up!

I was told before the last staff left they wish they had handled that situation differently. Meaning, they should have recruited him hard as a QB walk-on with academic money because the kid is very smart. Get him in the program and see what happens. Im not sure Dana really had an understanding on how to evaluate talent at this position.

I really think Bagent is better then Allison. I saw him play Saturday and he was crazy good in the game

there is a chance he makes 1st team all American as a soph

The first thing you look for in a QB is intelligence .

But Dana wouldn’t know that. He is nothing but a copycat. And how is Leach doing at W State???

there is a chance he makes 1st team all American as a soph
I was told by a Shepherd coach that during their pro day the scouts kept asking about the QB and finally the coaches had to tell them he was only a freshman. They were shocked! The kid is 6-3, 210 lbs and ran a 4.7 forty 3 times at fall camp(which would have put him in the top 10 at the NFL combine).

I mean Dana offered him to walk-on as a linebacker. Lol, that tells you he had no idea what he was doing in terms of talent evaluations with QB's.

Never seen the kid play. Some D2 QBs slip through the cracks but not many.

Can't say if he is a legit FCS or even FBS QB.

But he isn't better than Allison. Allison has NFL potential if he puts it together.
Not a very experienced QB for his age. Has all the talent but his experience hasn't created enough football IQ to make a difference.

Dana brought him in because he is what you look for in a QB

What? He is tall?

Dana couldn’t find a real QB. He had to wait for them to knock on his door and say “Hi, I am a real QB and I want to run the Mike Leach Spread offense.”

And Dana would say ... Okay.

His arm strength. Ability to make all the throws with zip.

This was why he was a highly regarded recruit out of HS. Everyone saw the potential.

But playing QB is more than just the arm and these other areas Allison lacks. But Allison can be developed into a QB at the FBS level.

Just because someone puts up numbers at the D2 level doesn't mean they could play at the FBS level
Never seen him play so I have no idea but since FBS and FCS schools passed on him I will have to say that he cannot until I actually see him.

This was why he was a highly regarded recruit out of HS. Everyone saw the potential.

But playing QB is more than just the arm and these other areas Allison lacks. But Allison can be developed into a QB at the FBS level.

Just because someone puts up numbers at the D2 level doesn't mean they could play at the FBS level
Never seen him play so I have no idea but since FBS and FCS schools passed on him I will have to say that he cannot until I actually see him.
So your telling me he looked like a D1 QB Saturday(or against Mizz or in the bowl game)? Shoot it looks like they will play Trey this Saturday because he was not getting it done.

He may or may not be a D1 QB but offered as a linebacker which is joke. Instate kid that lite it the heck up in high school and you could not tell he was a linebacker or QB(and he never played linebacker). If he stays healthy Tyson will throw for almost 15,000 yards with around a 70% completion rate and get a real shot in the NFL. So get your popcorn and wait about three years because we will all find out if he can play in the on sundays.

What is Jack's 40 time? It is not 4.7 or dirt slow

Who says he can't play LB?
According to you he has some speed. I think shuffle is more important for a LB.

Whatever he was he was offered a walk on position. He choose to play elsewhere.

Getting a foot in the door is the first step. If he wanted to play QB at WVU he would have taken the walk on offer and proved himself.

Dana and the coaching staff wouldn't have said you are a LB and you can't play QB if he showed it.

Allison is a FBS level QB. More than that he has P5 talent.

Putting up numbers at the D2 level doesn't prove anything. To say he is a Sunday QB is a reach.
Very few D2 and below QBs in the NFL.

Who says he can't play LB?
According to you he has some speed. I think shuffle is more important for a LB.

Whatever he was he was offered a walk on position. He choose to play elsewhere.

Getting a foot in the door is the first step. If he wanted to play QB at WVU he would have taken the walk on offer and proved himself.

Dana and the coaching staff wouldn't have said you are a LB and you can't play QB if he showed it.

Allison is a FBS level QB. More than that he has P5 talent.

Putting up numbers at the D2 level doesn't prove anything. To say he is a Sunday QB is a reach.
Very few D2 and below QBs in the NFL.
If you read above Dana never gave him the choice. He could come to WVU and play linebacker which he had never played in his life. Also if you read above no one is saying he will be an NFL QB but he is going to get his shot. So we all will get our popcorn out and see. He will have the college resume, the body type, weight room numbers, forty times, a 3.8 GPA in Economics, and the work ethic of an NFL player. The question will be is his arm strong enough? Look at the attached video of his father and his work ethic to become world champion. Tyson works just as hard with the same passion.

It is a walk on offer.
Gives him the chance to prove Dana and the coaching staff wrong.
Isn't always the head coach who makes the decision. It is the QB coach/OC and usually the HC agrees or disagrees.

Point is. The walk on offer is a chance to get his foot in the door.

Even FCS schools didn't think he was good enough to play QB
To hold this against Dana is ridiculous. There are points that make sense and there are things that don't. This is the latter.

It is a walk on offer.
Isn't always the head coach who makes the decision. It is the QB coach/OC and usually the HC agrees or disagrees.

To hold this against Dana is ridiculous. There are points that make sense and there are things that don't. This is the latter.
One more time. They were not giving him the opportunity to play QB

It is a walk on offer.

I know after the fact WVU wished they had offered Tyson a QB walk-on slot and really treated him like they wanted him but it was to late.

One more time. They were not giving him the opportunity to play QB

Who said they were?

Sometimes in life you have to force your opportunities.
If he wanted to play QB at WVU he would have taken the walk on spot. Gets his foot into the door and then he forced his way into being a QB.

I know after the fact WVU wished they had offered Tyson a QB walk-on slot and really treated him like they wanted him but it was to late.

I don't know about all that.
I think you are overestimating the quality of D2 football.
I doubt anyone who was connected to the situation is kicking themselves in their decision.

What? He is tall?

Dana couldn’t find a real QB. He had to wait for them to knock on his door and say “Hi, I am a real QB and I want to run the Mike Leach Spread offense.”

And Dana would say ... Okay.

Dana said more than once, don't worry he could find a QB anytime. Confidence ? I don't know. I think at one time that may have been true, but as his system evolved, the QB job changed. He needed more mobile QB's.

Reactions: 5150
I don't know about all that.
I think you are overestimating the quality of D2 football.
I doubt anyone who was connected to the situation is kicking themselves in their decision.
a person in the recruiting department before they left said instead of a linebacker walk-on slot they wished they had offered it as a QB. Are you even reading the thread. The other dude posted above he spoke to a former D1 coach.

Reactions: AllEers6
a person in the recruiting department before they left said instead of a linebacker walk-on slot they wished they had offered it as a QB. Are you even reading the thread. The other dude posted above he spoke to a former D1 coach.
I was told that a former Sun Belt conference school coach that now coaches D2 said that Tyson could start for at least half of the Sun Belt schools as a true freshman.

Do you believe everything you hear or read
Some of what you are writing doesn't make sense including a D2 school having a pro day. Doesn't happen and there aren't NFL scouts wanting to see a freshman D2 QB no matter the numbers he puts up

If this kid is as good as some of you claim then these schools would get him to transfer.
Your former OC went to I believe Eastern Washington to get his QB.

If Spavital was kicking himself for this move wouldn't you think he would have brought this kid in.
He was looking for a QB

Do you believe everything you hear or read
Some of what you are writing doesn't make sense including a D2 school having a pro day. Doesn't happen and there aren't NFL scouts wanting to see a freshman D2 QB no matter the numbers he puts up

If this kid is as good as some of you claim then these schools would get him to transfer.
Your former OC went to I believe Eastern Washington to get his QB.

If Spavital was kicking himself for this move wouldn't you think he would have brought this kid in.
He was looking for a QB
Shepherd has a pro day every year. They put at least one guy every year in a camp mostly at a regional team. Two years ago they had two guys on the Eagles roster. So, yes, they have pro day because they have talent.

What are you talking about former OC. He had several D1AA offers but they he turned them down to stay at home. If he wanted to walkon at WVU as a linebacker he could have done that but he passed

Look, I don't know how good he is, but we will find out in three years

Shepherd has a pro day every year. They put at least one guy every year in a camp mostly at a regional team. Two years ago they had two guys on the Eagles roster. So, yes, they have pro day because they have talent.

What are you talking about former OC. He had several D1AA offers but they he turned them down to stay at home. If he wanted to walkon at WVU as a linebacker he could have done that but he passed

Look, I don't know how good he is, but we will find out in three years

Spavital is probably the one who made the decision and not Dana.
So if Spavital was thinking he made a wrong decision wouldn't you think he would have attempted to bring the kid in.
You said he was good enough to start in the Sun Belt for half the teams. Texas State is a bottom feeder in the SunBelt so wouldn't he be good enough to start for them.

Spavital is probably the one who made the decision and not Dana.
So if Spavital was thinking he made a wrong decision wouldn't you think he would have attempted to bring the kid in.
You said he was good enough to start in the Sun Belt for half the teams. Texas State is a bottom feeder in the SunBelt so wouldn't he be good enough to start for them.
This person was in the recruiting department not a coach(and he is gone now). The discussion took place in the fall of last years so Tyson had just completed his freshman year. To late to bring him in

You have to be Pride304.
Bagent plays D2. He had zero D1 offers.
He’s a good kid but not D1.

Tyson is leading the country in passing yards per game at 387 and has a 72% completion rate to also lead the country. I was told by a former D1 football coach last year that he still has no idea how he was passed over. Dana offered as a walk-on but as a linebacker. Lol! That did not go over well!

Reactions: SeronimusPratt
WHY wasn’t he D1???

Was he being punished because of the level of his competition?

6’3” and a 4.7 forty is a damn good start at being D1. Add in being intelligent enough to understand how to attack defenses.

I've never seen the guy play so I can't say yes or no.

Here is a history lesson for you. One Dana apparently didn’t know.

Paterno had Hostetler and Blackledge. Hostetler was BY FAR the better athlete. Most say both were about equal at QB. Although WVU fans know who was the better QB.

So Paterno wanted to move Hoss to LB because he knew Hoss has the athletic ability to play LB and Blackledge did not. And we all know how intelligent Hoss was/is.

Hoss said thanks but no thanks. And the rest is history. Sometimes you have to be smart enough to let the QB play QB and not try to move him to LB just because he is talented enough to do it. Dana wasn’t that smart. Nehlen was.

Guy is a D2 QB.

Doesn't mean he can play at a P5 level no matter how much talent you think he has or the numbers he is putting up.

The decision was probably made by Jake Spavital and not Dana.
Usually most coaching staffs have someone on the support staff that evaluates PWOs.
Might not even been a decision by anyone on the coaching staff but in most cases the QB coach and head coach double check any decision made on walk ons.

A lot of LBs are former QB
Actually a good thing to have especially in the downhill football of yesteryear.
Because QBs for the most part can see the play before it develops. That helps at LB.

I would take that skill over anything in football but it has become harder with the RPO because the MLB with the safety are often being manipulated by the QB.

But someone who has played the position can see tells.
You have to make sure you don't get caught out of position on the RPO because that is what making these modern offenses go but also makes playing LB in high school up to the NFL very difficult

This thread is first time it’s been said that Bagent was ever offered Pwo by wvu for any position. It’s possible that’s true, but I’ve never seen it before. I’m not so sure that’s correct.

LSU- “Hey Pat White, come play Dback for us.”

WVU- “Pat, come to WVU and we’ll give you a shot at QB.”

Only college QB to start and win four bowl games. Lead WVU to the best four year stretch in WVU history.........

It happens.

This thread is first time it’s been said that Bagent was ever offered Pwo by wvu for any position. It’s possible that’s true, but I’ve never seen it before. I’m not so sure that’s correct.
Dana liked the kid, had him out for unofficial visits many times. Dana liked his Dad as well and when it was mentioned about the linebacker walkon it seemed everyone just stopped talking.

As has been said and the point to this thread is it will be interesting to see what happens when his college career is over because right now he is the best QB in D2 as a soph(and have former D1 coaches saying he fell between the cracks).

btw, I was told he was offered a walkon slot and if he was not then that brings up an entire other issue(besides not given a shot to walkon as a QB).

Here is a history lesson for you. One Dana apparently didn’t know.

Paterno had Hostetler and Blackledge. Hostetler was BY FAR the better athlete. Most say both were about equal at QB. Although WVU fans know who was the better QB.

So Paterno wanted to move Hoss to LB because he knew Hoss has the athletic ability to play LB and Blackledge did not. And we all know how intelligent Hoss was/is.

Hoss said thanks but no thanks. And the rest is history. Sometimes you have to be smart enough to let the QB play QB and not try to move him to LB just because he is talented enough to do it. Dana wasn’t that smart. Nehlen was.

LOL - Didnt Blackledge win a national championship for Penn State?

Seems like Paterno made the right call.

WHY wasn’t he D1???

Was he being punished because of the level of his competition?

6’3” and a 4.7 forty is a damn good start at being D1. Add in being intelligent enough to understand how to attack defenses.

AT THE D2 level--NOT the P5 level.

Just because a QB played in WV in h.s. doesn't make him capable of competing with major schools in a major conference.

When you look at his recruiting page this is what it says under college list:

There are no interests

So that means out of 130 schools in D1 FBS, NOT ONE had any interest in this player, yet some want to bash WVUs former coach for also not tossing him an offer at QB?

Let it go.

ADVERTISEMENT