ADVERTISEMENT

toronto -- re: Pens opening night roster

COOL MAN

All-American
Gold Member
Jun 19, 2001
Lots of sentiment in Pittsburgh that Pouliot is going to get cut and sent to WB/S for more work.

By most everyone's standard he's having a shitty camp; lacking basic intensity (even though playing with an edge has never been his strength) and making lots of mistakes in his own zone during exhibition games. And unlike Clendening.....who the team is said to like.....he doesn't have to clear waivers to go to the farm. Right now, it sounds as though most insiders will be surprised if he's dressed against Dallas next Wednesday night.

From what I can tell.....if Pouliot is demoted......then Dumoulin (for good or bad) will play in the second pairing with Cole; though it's possible (if unlikely) that Letang and Maatta are temporarily split up. And BTW, those same insiders seem to think Gonchar will make the team......if not get much actual PT.....for no good reason other than to play nursemaid to Geno and Plotnikov.

Beyond his friendship with the Russians, I guess he's thought generally to add a cool head and maturity to the locker room.....but from what I've read, he apparently can't skate anymore. On his best day, he might be able to play the second PP unit.....especially if Pouliot is in WB/S......but I don't get the impression anyone is anxious for him to take a regular shift.

Oh wow! Really?...to both the Gonchar making It and Pouliot demotion. ..not a good development re: Pouliot since he was 'supposed to be' our future replacement for Letang (although those are BIG skates to fill)... I had and I guess still have high hopes for him (which are obviously starting to fade). Gonchar has been a slow foot for a couple years now and I severely questioned his signing. I know they may want to placate the other Russians but at the expense of what they thought was a future regular in Pouliot? IMO now is the time to play him and do it heavy off the start of the season...sink or swim. WB/S is going to do nothing for him at this point other than de-value his trade possibility and destroy any confidence faith in mgmt he had...

Honestly....I don't care what Geno wants...if he needs a nursemaid then we're in trouble....
I'll post another thread about my events of today which may be of interest to you shortly...
Oh and Maatta?....well we NEED him to come back and simply carry on where he left off....

After Durante's catch of the hysterically underthrown ball at the OK 5.....and the FG making the score 24-17...... here's the latest on the final roster:

Clendening -- IN
Farnham -- IN
Sprong -- IN
Erixon -- OUT
Gonchar -- OUT (option to remain with the organization IF he chooses, or isn't signed elsewhere)
Pouliot -- OUT
Fehr -- IR
Kuhnnackl -- IR

Regrettably, Howard thus far appears to be totally overwhelmed with the environment in Norman......and still, they're only down 7. Oh, and the stripes are doing an effective job of balancing out all the 15 yarders they called against OU in that 1Q.

Last edited:
One more roster move if you haven't previously heard, the Pens released Sestito on Friday; after which he signed a PTO with Wilkes Barre/Scranton.

Since the franchise isn't exactly flush with high-end developing prospects, he shouldn't have that much trouble making the team.....and hence, be available for a quick, occasional trip to Pittsburgh to dress versus Philly, Washington, Columbus, or anyone else against whom the team needs a goon.

One more roster move if you haven't previously heard, the Pens released Sestito on Friday; after which he signed a PTO with Wilkes Barre/Scranton.

Since the franchise isn't exactly flush with high-end developing prospects, he shouldn't have that much trouble making the team.....and hence, be available for a quick, occasional trip to Pittsburgh to dress versus Philly, Washington, Columbus, or anyone else against whom the team needs a goon.
This development I like...only when absolutely 'needed' does he play with the big club.

After Durante's catch of the hysterically underthrown ball at the OK 5.....and the FG making the score 24-17...... here's the latest on the final roster:

Clendening -- IN
Farnham -- IN
Sprong -- IN
Erixon -- OUT
Gonchar -- OUT (option to remain with the organization IF he chooses, or isn't signed elsewhere)
Pouliot -- OUT
Fehr -- IR
Kuhnhackl -- IR

Regrettably, Howard thus far appears to be totally overwhelmed with the environment in Norman......and still, they're only down 7. Oh, and the stripes are doing an effective job of balancing out all the 15 yarders they called against OU in that 1Q.

Correction.....Erixon actually has made the roster in (it appears) the 4th pairing. On paper, the following is apparently the opening night roster:

Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Plotnikov-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Bonino-Perron
Sprong-Cullen-Bennett

Cole-Letang
Maatta-Lovejoy
Dumoulin-Scuderi
Erixon-Clendening

Fleury-Zabkoff

However, Johnston apparently has already indicated that Letang and Maatta will be together on Wednesday (so I'm not sure why the two are shown as split in this rundown). I guess I'm assuming neither Erixon or Clendening will dress much (if at all) early unless there's an injury in the Top 6; it seems to me the team has a selfish interest in keeping them off the rest-of-the-League's radar

I also assume the team hopes (or is praying) that Pouliot gets the message and proves in his first month in WB/S he belongs in Pittsburgh.....and therefore becomes a candidate to be called up. If so, they'll need room on the roster; and given a choice to risk losing either Erixon or Clendening to waivers, I myself think (perhaps mistakenly) they'll risk Erixon. I also think it wouldn't bother the team at all to see somebody.....like, preferably Scuderi.....get hurt (and give one of them, or Pouliot, a chance to move into the lineup full-time).

Also note that....according to this lineup.....Plotnikov has been slotted on the 2nd line with Geno. I haven't the slightest idea if that is or isn't a good idea; I'm also not sure if this is more for his or Geno's benefit. But, I'm willing to divert to the HC to make what he believes is the best decision for the team; and of course, changes can obviously be made on a game-to-game (or shift-to-shift) basis. But other than Sid's line, I suspect there will be a fair amount of line experimenting in the first month.

Speaking of experimenting, note that Perron is currently listed on the 3rd line; interesting because, coming off his disappointing '14-15, I believe he came into camp viewed as little better than a 4th liner. It's no secret he wasn't happy being slotted that low, but the consensus appears to be that he had as good a camp as anyone (and from what I've been reading, his attitude has been pretty decent).

Of course, Plotnikov's slot on the second is there for taking if the kid falters. From what I've seen......and if limited pre-season play is any legitimate indicator.....Plotnikov doesn't look to me anything like a Top 6 guy (at least not yet). I guess I'm kind-of assuming Johnston wants (and perhaps expects) Perron to play his way onto Geno's line.

My last question is who gets displaced when Fehr is ready to play. I'm sure the team would prefer it to be Sprong. assuming they expect his 9 game tour to be plenty of time to determine he really isn't ready to play. But I don't think he can play with WB/S; I'm pretty sure I've read, at his age, he may have to go back to the Juniors. And, I know there's a fair amount of perspective in Pittsburgh that he's got nothing left to prove in the Q, and can only improve playing in the minors.

Penguins waived Erixon today, apparently hoping he'll clear and then rejoin the team as a healthy scratch (with Clendening) in Dallas later this week. Also, Dupuis is out for a week with a problem supposedly NOT related to the clot.

Last edited:
Penguins waived Erixon today, apparently hoping he'll clear and then rejoin the team as a healthy scratch (with Clendening) in Dallas later this week. Also, Dupuis is out for a week with a problem supposedly NOT related to the clot.
A good call on the waiver imo, I am doubtful he gets picked up. Not good news on Duper but thank goodness unrelated to the clot!
Re: Sprong ...I'm unsure what the minimum age for the AHL is. I would assume 18 ? Which should render him eligible unless maybe the agreement between NHL and the Q is somewhat different than the rest of CHL? This wouldn't surprise me as although he is property of Charlottetown , the league is still run out of Quebec...and they like to feel 'special' out there...not to mention corrupt , but I am now running on a tangent...
I liked the pick for the most part as he has significant offensive upside , but he does have some fairly major defensive liabilities that perhaps the AHL may breed out of him...although I would hate to see him get damaged down there...as we know it can be a rough crowd on those rinks...

Last edited:
Pens have now amended the estimate for PD's return from this new injury; now he's out 4-5 weeks.

Reports persist it's not clot-related.....and I have absolutely no information to the contrary.....but I'm honestly wondering if the team is telling the truth here. Of course, he tore up a knee the year before last, so leg injuries are now firmly in his injury history. FYI, Beau Bennett is said to be practicing with the 3rd line today.

IMO, the biggest impact on the team is the loss of one of their precious few legitimate penalty killers.....which, by definition, places even greater emphasis on their continuing penchant for taking bad penalties......which puts their shaky PK unit at even greater risk.

This is the area where Paul Martin will be missed so much, and they have absolutely nobody on the blue line.....at least unless Maatta steps up his game to an almost-ridiculous extent......who can replace what he delivered..

Oh boy...here we go...He will definitely be a major loss for whatever time he's out....hopefully that time frame shrinks a bit but I doubt it. It's important for this team to get outta the gates quick imo. Martin's loss will be felt as well Ehrhoff who was playing a solid game till he was sidelined last year....
I'm eager to see if Mr. Bennett can assume the job that is now required, if he doesn't grow into a bigger role or worse ends up regressing things could really go south in a hurry...
I know one thing...it is painfully obvious that this team needs to SCORE, and a lot, because the opposition is certainly going to do just that with regularity unfortunately...MAF, and as you mention ,Maatta can only do so much..

Thanks (I think lol) for the update....

Not sure if we talked about this last year, but there was ongoing commentary during the season about Beau Bennett and his ongoing injury problems......specifically those surrounding his knees (though, I think most will argue his wrist problems have been more severe....and by any standard, far longer-lasting).

Anyway, I guess he played much of '14-15 wearing knee braces; something he apparently had never done before. I guess he was pretty candid in telling anyone who'd listen they badly restricted his skating, which is awful because I think he was stuck with them pretty much most of the season.

I believe he spent time in the off-season doing some lower body conditioning which was new to him; and I think he was viewed to have come into camp this season in perhaps the best shape of his career. I've also read some accounts that his shot is supposedly stronger than ever; presumably the result of some new wrist conditioning as well.

Of course, he was more or less forced to sign the 1 year RFA bridge contract for under $1 million; probably $2 million less than he figured he'd earn in this contract as little as a couple years ago. But assuming he (like Letang and Maatta) avoids the injury bug......and that's a BIG if......this should be his best year ever; if for no other reason than he's playing for his next contract.

I do think he has the raw potential to be a 20 goal guy if he plays 75 games.

Two more quick items:

--Erixon cleared waivers and remains on the Pens active roster (though I don't think anyone expects him to dress this week).

--Maatta was actually sent down to WB/S in a procedural move having to do with the salary cap.......while Oskar Sundqvist, with cap number about $200K less Maatta, was promoted to Pittsburgh. Apparently, today (as the first day of the regular season) is important for cap calculation purposes, and the $200K savings on Sundqvist's deal apparently brings the Pens below the cap threshold on Day 1. Regardless, Maatta is considered essentially a lock to be recalled for the Dallas game (though I don't understand the continuing calculations).

Did not know that re: the knee braces on Bennett...if his legs are in better shape now, I could definitely see 20 goals (we're gonna need every goal we can get)...

As for the cap I'm starting to think Boterill must have multiple degree's in Economics, Commerce, and lord knows what else to try and negotiate through this cap stuff...either that or he's a complete mad scientist lol
...we always seem to be down to the penny on this year to year (along with at least a dozen other teams), but I guess thats what happens when you're trying to keep 2 max players, and 2 or 3 more that are approaching that level!

Really looking forward to tomorrows opener...and about to ensure it's on my sports package or I may have to head down to the bar...

ADVERTISEMENT