ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 WVU observations after three games

Chris from WV

Senior
Jul 5, 2002
We're 3-0, exactly where we wanted to be, but here are my Top 5 observations thus far . . .

1. Kickoff return/cover teams are pretty bad.
2. Howard throws a great deep ball and has developed well into a mid-range passer.
3. Crawford and McCoy are solid complements to Shell.
4. The defense is much better than anticipated but depth could be a concern in Big 12 play.
5. Molina has not missed a step with Lambert out.

How about you guys?

....seems right to me....only thing I'd add is focus....just seems like they get distracted...or lose interest.....

Agree with all but the D is pretty bad. It got some needed turnovers but ranks amongst the worst in the country against 3 poor offensive teams. It will struggle in B12 play big time. Have to out score folks yet again

soon, Shell will be the complement to Crawford. Our D is not good. Yes, an improved Howard on his downfield accuracy so far. We were lucky to have Molina but I'm glad we haven't needed a 50 harder to win it.

We're 3-0, exactly where we wanted to be, but here are my Top 5 observations thus far . . .

2. Howard throws a great deep ball and has developed well into a mid-range passer.
4. The defense is much better than anticipated but depth could be a concern in Big 12 play.

How about you guys?

1. If my memory serves me correctly, we covered the kicks/punts rather well against Missouri. Maybe it's just a bit of a slump or something?

2. Howard has surprised me so far. But....he will have that "moment" like he did twice today that leaves you scratching your head. That throw over the middle should have never been made by a senior. And then the fumble on the snap was his fault....you could see on the sideline with the center's reaction and lack of reaction by Howard that it was his fault. He didn't need to switch the blocking or play down there. Yet he thought it was the right time to risk something???

3. We need to get the ball to Crawford 15 times a game, and find ways to get the ball to McCoy 10-12 times too. Both those guys look like they could be game changers!

4. Hopefully the defense is starting to get those turnovers they did last year. But, the pass rush has been MISERABLE! Coming in to this game we had 1 sack, right? I think we got just one today. And we don't have the DB's that can stick with the WR's for 4-5 seconds. If we continue to allow that much time back there, the Big 12 QB's will eat our DB's up.

5. Lambert is missed......we need him.

2. Howard has surprised me so far. But....he will have that "moment" like he did twice today that leaves you scratching your head. That throw over the middle should have never been made by a senior. And then the fumble on the snap was his fault....you could see on the sideline with the center's reaction and lack of reaction by Howard that it was his fault. He didn't need to switch the blocking or play down there. Yet he thought it was the right time to risk something???

It was discussed post game by Jed Drenning and crew.

Orlosky thought BYU had jumped offsides so he hiked the ball as they are told to do when that happens. It didn't work. The only blame on Howard for that play was not keeping ready for a quick snap but they said Orlosky owned that one.

Never assume.

Offense is clicking except for they tend to let off the gas when ahead. Keep the petal pushed to floor.

Got some turnovers today, hope it continues. Defense is good exception of not enough depth on DL and Linebackers are terrible. if LB are not on point it makes to much pressure on corners and safeties. LB need to make run stops. A better NT would help.

We did get pressure on BYU QB as they had to change to a roll out type offense which WVU for some reason didn't recognize.

Stopping the run will be a

My turn.
Defense was hot and cold all game. Serious flaws in pass coverage will could be lethal in Big 12 play, but game-saving interceptions, too. We just don't get to the QB. What, twice in 3 games?

Special teams is a serious problem. Kickoff team was so bad that the last 2 kickoffs were pooch punts, and one out of bounds, in an attempt to keep BYU from returning the dang things to midfield, which the Cougars did too often.

BYU had more first downs and more total yardage than WVU, but 4 turnovers to 2 saved the game for the Mountaineers.

We're undefeated at 3-0. Nationally, that list is down to 18 with some games not over at this typing it may be even lower by 2 a.m.

It's way past time that we figure out how to beat the old man who works his magic with Kansas State. It hasn't happened since 1930, so it's about time that WVU beat K-State in football.
I'll be there at 3:30 p.m. for the kickoff Saturday in Mountaineer Field. ESPNU is covering the game.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor

My turn.
Defense was hot and cold all game. Serious flaws in pass coverage will could be lethal in Big 12 play, but game-saving interceptions, too. We just don't get to the QB. What, twice in 3 games?

Special teams is a serious problem. Kickoff team was so bad that the last 2 kickoffs were pooch punts, and one out of bounds, in an attempt to keep BYU from returning the dang things to midfield, which the Cougars did too often.

BYU had more first downs and more total yardage than WVU, but 4 turnovers to 2 saved the game for the Mountaineers.

We're undefeated at 3-0. Nationally, that list is down to 18 with some games not over at this typing it may be even lower by 2 a.m.

It's way past time that we figure out how to beat the old man who works his magic with Kansas State. It hasn't happened since 1930, so it's about time that WVU beat K-State in football.
I'll be there at 3:30 p.m. for the kickoff Saturday in Mountaineer Field. ESPNU is covering the game.

M anhandled Missouri, 26-11

O rdinary against Youngstown, 38-21

U nnerving miracle goalline tip/interception escapes BYU, 35-32

N euter Kansas State

T rample Texas Tech

A nnihilate TCU

I mpale Oklahoma State

N ail Kansas

E radicate Texas

E rectile dysfunction Oklahoma

R oll over Iowa State

S uffocate Baylor
Bill Snyder owns Dana Holgorsen and I'll go in expecting much of the same. There was no excuse for losing that game last year, which had been our best shot yet. I'll hope for a win but I've become convinced Dana will always be outsmarted by Bill Snyder. Really wished he would have retired so this game would be much more winnable.

Also, do you not believe in using signatures? Do you seriously copy and paste that long acronym every time you post?

Bill Snyder owns Dana Holgorsen and I'll go in expecting much of the same. There was no excuse for losing that game last year, which had been our best shot yet. I'll hope for a win but I've become convinced Dana will always be outsmarted by Bill Snyder. Really wished he would have retired so this game would be much more winnable.

Also, do you not believe in using signatures? Do you seriously copy and paste that long acronym every time you post?

Lol I agree 100000xxxxxxx

Also,holla at your boy sometime

How about you guys?
We have several very high quality recruits in class of 2016
that will contribute (and have) immediately, and crucial
to big season.

OFFENSE

1) As expected, has many weapons.
2) As goes Howard, so goes the offense.
3) We don't have a back up quarterback ready.

DEFENSE

1) As expected, many holes.
2) Will continue to need to be opportunistic and create turnovers. Without turnovers, we will get sliced and diced.
3) There will be weeks when this defense will really get torched. There will be other weeks (like BYU) when the defense will be opportunistic and capitalize on the mistakes of the opponent.

SPECIAL TEAMS

1) Return of Lambert should help considerably with depth of kickoffs preventing returns, and it also brings back the long field goal to our offense.
2) Much room for improvement from coaching and better discipline.

OUTLOOK

Assuming that Howard stays healthy, we have a chance at a nice year. If Howard goes down, then I become very nervous.

We will likely be underdogs against Baylor and Oklahoma. We will likely be favored against Iowa State and Kansas. The remaining 5 games will likely be toss-ups. I think we finish 9-3 and get a very nice bowl game with the chance to get to 10 wins.

My main disagreement would be on kickoff coverage. Lambert has a stronger leg. The ball won't be returned as easily. He has more hang time and better distance. It makes a big difference.

That was one of the strengths with BYU that had us starting inside the 15 before the penalties. I kept screaming at the TV. Let the ball go in the end zone. Apparently they couldn't hear me.

I will also say that Crawford is a good back. He's a 1 cut and hit the hole back who can make them miss at all 3 levels.

Agree with all but the D is pretty bad. It got some needed turnovers but ranks amongst the worst in the country against 3 poor offensive teams. It will struggle in B12 play big time. Have to out score folks yet again

We almost shut out Missouri, played a bad quarter against YSU, and gave up most of its yards to BYU when we went prevent. Definitely issues and we're certainly not Alabama but they have been decent up until the 4th Q yesterday which is beyond expectations given who we are replacing

How about you guys?
1. Yes, and this continues to be a problem in the DH era

2. He has turned himself into a nice D1 QB, this is turning into a great story

3. I LOVE Crawford, the next great WVU rb

4. but, but, but, I thought recruiting for depth was fixed. Are we blaming Stew again?

5. another good story for this team, and our staff did a good job filling in behind

My observations from the game and through 3 weeks of the season.
1. I like the overall offensive game plan and when they are executing, it looks very good.
2. I have voiced my concerns with Howard, and I am still not sure he is a D1 QB but he keeps proving me wrong. He is a tough kid and we are lucky to have him. I hope he keeps proving me wrong.
3. This Crawford kid is the real deal. Our offense looks much more explosive with him in the game.
4. Surprisingly, our defense is the biggest problem, especially in the secondary. We cant seem to stop the crossing patterns and we are giving way too much of a cushion on almost every play. This will be an issue against Big 12 opponents if not corrected.
5. If you are going to move a home game to a neutral site, make sure your fan base can come close to filling the stadium. It was almost embarrassing to see all the empty seats on TV.
6. Overall, I think we are in a good place. We are 3-0 and it doesn't matter how we got there. There are a lot of other quality teams that did not find a way to win these type of games. This weeks game vs K-State will tell us a lot about how the season will go. It is at home and there is no reason a quality team does not find a way to win this game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT