ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get real about WVU.

Rootmaster

All-Conference
Apr 16, 2011
Florida
WVU is lucky to be in Big 12 and will never be in a higher ranked conference. First, the school is ranked 249th...and that sucks. Only 17.6% of incoming freshmen get a degree in six years or less. That sucks as well. Lousy student retention. Small town. Small state. Small alumni base. No major media market. Little research footprint. History of mediocre to poor football achievement. No national championship. And there's more. I'm a grad but reality is reality. Most G5 schools still in play rate higher. So we are what we are...nothing earth shaking.

WVU is lucky to be in Big 12 and will never be in a higher ranked conference. First, the school is ranked 249th...and that sucks. Only 17.6% of incoming freshmen get a degree in six years or less. That sucks as well. Lousy student retention. Small town. Small state. Small alumni base. No major media market. Little research footprint. History of mediocre to poor football achievement. No national championship. And there's more. I'm a grad but reality is reality. Most G5 schools still in play rate higher. So we are what we are...nothing earth shaking.
Football is solid. Mediocre to poor is a poor choice of words.

West Virginia University ranked 107th in the United States and 269th in the World 2022 overall rankings, plus got TOP 50% in 211 academic topics. EduRank's ranking for West Virginia University is based on 3 factors: research performance (a proprietary algorithm evaluated 42,794 publications and 1,294,606 citations), non-academic reputation, and the impact of 218 notable alumni .

#269 of 14,131 In the World
#123 of 2,597 In North America
#107 of 2,496 In the United States
#1 of 26 In West Virginia
#1 of 2 In Morgantown
#2 of 1,090 For Forensic Science
#137 of 1,009 For Paramedicine and Emergency medicine
#137 of 1,008 For Sports / Exercise science
#292 of 7,349 For Alumni Impact
#245 of 14,131 For Non-academic Prominence
Top50% For 208 other topics

Nice try middle school...that would be you Allen. 249th.
Wvu football is 15th in all time wins according to this source. What exactly is poor or mediocre about that? The only thing poor and mediocre is this stupid look at me thread that you have started.

Wvu football is 15th in all time wins according to this source. What exactly is poor or mediocre about that? The only thing poor and mediocre is this stupid look at me thread that you have started.

You can be so cute. The boys at the Y must fawn over you.

Reactions: lenny4wvu
Show me on this doll where WV touched you.

Last edited:
Not the message we got a very few years ago as our son was applying for a place in numerous, highly respected graduate school, including UNC, DUKE, Alabama, NCSU, UVa ( where he ended up going with a full scholarship that had gone unused for a decade with no acceptable candidates for it)., and several others. Hogh praise was heard about WVU from high officials in these schools. Two officials at UNC, independently, were quite vocal in a defense of ones education from WVU. Maybe the stats you quote are correct, but I see within them NO MEASURE of the quality of of graduates and their ability to perform well in their field of instruction. The latter IS a key element facing ALL schools. I have dealt with a significant number of graduates of a variety of well respected and much higher ranked than WVU and found a large % of them deficient in the critiacal area of anticipated performance. Many schools may graduate more but are these graduates worth the investment to anticipate quality work from them? Statistics may be (and ARE) often construed to have a far different interpretation than is reality.

Not the message we got a very few years ago as our son was applying for a place in numerous, highly respected graduate school, including UNC, DUKE, Alabama, NCSU, UVa ( where he ended up going with a full scholarship that had gone unused for a decade with no acceptable candidates for it)., and several others. Hogh praise was heard about WVU from high officials in these schools. Two officials at UNC, independently, were quite vocal in a defense of ones education from WVU. Maybe the stats you quote are correct, but I see within them NO MEASURE of the quality of of graduates and their ability to perform well in their field of instruction. The latter IS a key element facing ALL schools. I have dealt with a significant number of graduates of a variety of well respected and much higher ranked than WVU and found a large % of them deficient in the critiacal area of anticipated performance. Many schools may graduate more but are these graduates worth the investment to anticipate quality work from them? Statistics may be (and ARE) often construed to have a far different interpretation than is reality.
Hey I'm a proud grad and native...but all the "comments " aside...the info on the university and state are what they are.

Nothing wrong with WVU, but what probably helped your son being accepted ( I suspect) to the following schools you mentioned was his stellar scores on the qualifying exams.

Examples:

Medicine: MCAT
Dentistry: DAT
Pharmacy: PCAT
Law: LSAT
Business: GMAT
ETC.

The University of Pittsburgh Medical School gets about 5000 applications for 140 spots.
The students Pitt accepts have similar performance (GPA and MCAT) to those accepted at the University of Pennsylvania Medical School.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Gee has been ****ing this up for years. We've had time to fix these issues. A true CC system for the more stupid/at risk student. Placing them a true WV CC fixes a ton of shit. The obvious biggest two:

1) it decreases our acceptance rate
2) it decreases our drop out rate

Actually this is a very good idea.

Community College can be used to help some students get the prep work they need to compete in a college environment or provide training for other trade professions: electrician, welder, pipe fitter etc.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

What the OP was referring to was the group as a whole is looked upon very poorly versus individuals like your son. WVU needs more like your son and less of the dopes who simply go there and party their way out, in which there are FAR too many. To add, this is occurring at a time when schools pass everyone, and do everything possible to retain students because the bottom line isn't academic rigor or integrity, its the pocketbook that speaks loudest.

Professors who wish to keep their jobs, gain tenure, etc. have been spoken to loud and clear - fail too many students and YOU are gone. Virtually everyone passes now - all its takes is effort, which makes WVU, sitting at the bottom of P5 schools by a large margin, look even worse.

His premise is pretty solid. WVU should only take the top 10% of students from each school in WV, as well as upper echelon students from other states. Everyone else goes to community college or Concord, State, Glenville, Fairmont, etc. If they prove their merits there, they can transfer to WVU if they want.

By making WVU more in line academically with the UVA's and Duke's it will not only make every WVU grad's diploma more worthy (your son's included who clearly this wouldn't apply), it would also make WVU appear much more attractive to conferences in the future.

The PITT/WVU football game at Heinz (ESPN/ Sept. 1 at 7pm) is a sell out (75,000 fans) with only some standing room tickets available.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Actually this is a very good idea.

Community College can be used to help some students get the prep work they need to compete in a college environment or provide training for other trade professions: electrician, welder, pipe fitter etc.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
Of course it is. I said it. I've been bringing this up for years. It would fix our rankings within 3-4 years. I would guess WVU could break into the Top 100 if done right.

Reactions: Panthergrowl13
The Florida State Academic Board had an NSF listing of Annual Research Expenditure of all schools.

Florida State would like to get to be accepted as an AAU university one day and were comparing how they compared to several other Florida schools which are listed below (Included WVU in this list).

Annual Research Expenditures:

UF: $942 million (AAU School)
FSU: $350 million
USF: $333 million
UCF: $236 million
WVU: $188 million

The ACC Conference has 5 AAU Universities (DUKE, UNC, PITT, GIT and UVA)

Annual Research Expenditures for each AAU school is listed below:

DUKE: $1.196 Billion
UNC: $1.159 Billion
PITT: $1.105 Billion
GIT: $1.048 Billion
UVA: $0.652 Billion

West Virginia is a good school which has potential for improvement.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Reactions: Titleist
What the OP was referring to was the group as a whole is looked upon very poorly versus individuals like your son. WVU needs more like your son and less of the dopes who simply go there and party their way out, in which there are FAR too many. To add, this is occurring at a time when schools pass everyone, and do everything possible to retain students because the bottom line isn't academic rigor or integrity, its the pocketbook that speaks loudest.

Professors who wish to keep their jobs, gain tenure, etc. have been spoken to loud and clear - fail too many students and YOU are gone. Virtually everyone passes now - all its takes is effort, which makes WVU, sitting at the bottom of P5 schools by a large margin, look even worse.

His premise is pretty solid. WVU should only take the top 10% of students from each school in WV, as well as upper echelon students from other states. Everyone else goes to community college or Concord, State, Glenville, Fairmont, etc. If they prove their merits there, they can transfer to WVU if they want.

By making WVU more in line academically with the UVA's and Duke's it will not only make every WVU grad's diploma more worthy (your son's included who clearly this wouldn't apply), it would also make WVU appear much more attractive to conferences in the future.
I agree. Thanks for a very intelligent reply to my post.

Vmf?

So some folks here think a 249th place ranking is solid? Wow.
Nice way to put words in people's mouths. All you do on this board is play games with people and your posts while slandering a school that does pretty darn good for what it has to work with. You look down on WVU and then tell people how they should look at WVU? I don't think so. GTFO.

Nice way to put words in people's mouths. All you do on this board is play games with people and your posts while slandering a school that does pretty darn good for what it has to work with. You look down on WVU and then tell people how they should look at WVU? I don't think so. GTFO.
Lol. You're so cute.

West Virginia University is ranked No. 153 (tie) in Best Education Schools.

WVU maintains R1 status, ranking alongside most prestigious research universities. According to the latest Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, WVU has maintained its classification as an R1, or very high research, university. Only 119 other universities occupy the R1 category.

West Virginia University is ranked #249 in National Universities. Schools are ranked according to their performance across a set of widely accepted indicators of excellence.

West Virginia University (WVU) - Profile, Rankings and Data​

Listen to Allen cheer..."we're number 249! Yea...we're number 249!!" That's ok...he did the same thing when he passed phys ed for the first time.

Listen to Allen cheer..."we're number 249! Yea...we're number 249!!" That's ok...he did the same thing when he passed phys ed for the first time.
Narcissist’s thin skin and sensitivity that leads to this rage because of a deep seated fear you will be found out for not being the person you portray yourself to be.

WVU will never be big-time in academics or football. Relative to SEC and B10 schools, WVU lacks money, NIL resources, top facilities, big donors, and a natural recruiting base in its own state.

In addition, the State of West Virginia is poor, backward, has an aging and rapidly declining population, and lacks critical infrastructure (such as no major airport anywhere in the State).

WVU is more similar to AppSt and East Carolina than it is to TOSU or UGA (just two examples).

WVU will never be big-time in academics or football. Relative to SEC and B10 schools, WVU lacks money, NIL resources, top facilities, big donors, and a natural recruiting base in its own state.

In addition, the State of West Virginia is poor, backward, has an aging and rapidly declining population, and lacks critical infrastructure (such as no major airport anywhere in the State).

WVU is more similar to AppSt and East Carolina than it is to TOSU or UGA (just two examples).
Don't agree in facilities. State of the art. Much better than Baylor and ASU for example.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT